3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles

Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Any picky eaters out there?

Old 05-20-2014, 12:25 AM   #46
Viva Cristo Rey!

Default I've been gone awhile - Is anyone still interested in this topic?

Just thought I'd check. I've been reading a book, Suffering Succotash, by Stephanie Lucianovic, about picky eating. It's interesting. Reading it reminded me of this board and the posts I made about the subject. Maybe there are some others who want to chat about it too. Hopefully no one being judgmental towards picky eaters, that's uncalled for, IMO.
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #47
Struggling Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyminnie Wannabe View Post
Just thought I'd check. I've been reading a book, Suffering Succotash, by Stephanie Lucianovic, about picky eating. It's interesting. Reading it reminded me of this board and the posts I made about the subject. Maybe there are some others who want to chat about it too. Hopefully no one being judgmental towards picky eaters, that's uncalled for, IMO.

I am NOT a picky eater. I will eat most things and try anything new, but I do have preferences. My husband is a VERY picky eater. It makes things really difficult. There are about 5 meals I can cook for him.

I heard that it has something to do with your taste buds. People who are picky eaters have more sensitive taste buds than others.

Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #48
Danny

Height: 5'8

yes, I am a picky eater and I wish I wasn't!!
Old 06-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #49
Viva Cristo Rey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I am NOT a picky eater. I will eat most things and try anything new, but I do have preferences. My husband is a VERY picky eater. It makes things really difficult. There are about 5 meals I can cook for him.

I heard that it has something to do with your taste buds. People who are picky eaters have more sensitive taste buds than others.
You are correct - it is a sensory thing. Bitter tastes are usually stronger in a picky eater. Textures are also a significant issue for many of us. I can see how it would be difficult in a marriage or parenting. I'm single with no kids so I can usually have what I'm comfortable with foodwise, and if I feel daring enough to try a new food, I can do it in privacy, which makes it less nerve-racking. Social settings can be okay or slightly challenging or nightmarish for me.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #50

S/C/G: 165/143.6/115

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I am a picky eater.

I can't stand seafood and most meat. I've had people I've told that I don't like salmon serve me salmon and then they angrily say "You didn't touch your fish!". Yes, I did not. Some vegetables make me cringe, too. Am I the only one on the planet who doesn't like bacon?

Also, I need certain foods hot and others cold. It sort of sucks going to restaurants with friends, I feel like a weirdo.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #51
Viva Cristo Rey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksunshine View Post
Yes, I am a picky eater.

I can't stand seafood and most meat. I've had people I've told that I don't like salmon serve me salmon and then they angrily say "You didn't touch your fish!". Yes, I did not. Some vegetables make me cringe, too. Am I the only one on the planet who doesn't like bacon?

Also, I need certain foods hot and others cold. It sort of sucks going to restaurants with friends, I feel like a weirdo.
I understand. Bacon I do like, but I'm kind of afraid to let myself get started eating it because of the fat content. Salmon - I tried. And then after realizing how slow and cautious I was being, taking teensy bites and trying not to taste it, I thought, "Why am I putting myself through this? I hate this stuff!" So I just admitted it to the person who was serving it to me (who is an excellent cook, and the salmon was of good quality, which is why I thought maybe I could get to like it, but I couldn't).

I've been posting in the "veggie challenged" thread but sometimes I'm getting mixed results there - I feel like a misfit even on this board sometimes. I think I'm going to have to do what I've been wanting to do and start a blog - though I don't have time at the moment, but at the first opportunity.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #52

S/C/G: 238/238/143

Height: 5.2

Hiya. You're not alone with picky eating. Its one of the reasons I find it hard to lose weight. I can't eat veg. I don't mean won't. The very sight and smell of it makes me feel sick. I don't like anything with bits, or fur (peaches etc) and nothing with faces (so fish are a no no). I don't like potatoes, fruit gives me indigestion and makes my blood sugar go crazy. I can't eat lamb and it has to be exactly the right cut and cooked the right way for me to eat pork. Why I am overweight, you ask?

Cola. As simple as that.

ruthieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.