Newly Hypothyroid and Totally Confused

• I had subacute thyroiditis (goiter and all) and came out the other side as the lucky 5-15% that ended up with hypothyroidism. I have been on levothyroxine for about 4 weeks now and I am feeling like myself again which I am grateful for.

There is so much conflicting information on the internet about thyroid nutrition I am really struggling to figure out what would be best for me and my thyroid. Gluten is the devil, plant based is fine. Paleo is the way to go, dairy is okay, you shouldn't have dairy. It's maddening!

I know I need to be exercising again too, but if I'm being honest the idea of doing much more than walking seems daunting. This is coming from an Insanity Graduate, and distance runner. I mostly work out at home or outside, so I'm really looking for something that could be done in my home gym or with videos. Could I potentially be dealing with adrenal fatigue as well?

I'm a pretty good self motivator, I just need someone to point me in the right direction. I'm just confused.
  • I had hypothyroid and then back in 2006 my thyroid was removed. I packed on about 35 pounds during that time and have struggled to lose it ever since. My endocrinologist monitors me closely and suggested the Ideal Protein Diet. I have had great results in a 5 week time period and my recent bloodwork was fantastic. Check with your dr and see what he/she thinks. Good luck!
  • I have Hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid gland.

Losing weight is challenging - as for nutrition I find that I feel best eating unprocessed foods. I eat less gluten now than I used to but I don't obsess about it.

Defintely recommend talking to a good endocronologist and getting their reommendations.
  • Quote: I have Hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid gland.

Losing weight is challenging - as for nutrition I find that I feel best eating unprocessed foods. I eat less gluten now than I used to but I don't obsess about it.

Defintely recommend talking to a good endocronologist and getting their reommendations.
    Unfortunately I don't have access to an endocrinologist. I went to the only one within 50 miles or so when I first got my painful goiter and while he did diagnose me he wasn't forthcoming with information in spite of my please for specifics on nutrition that might help my situation. In all honesty, he wasn't terribly forthcoming with information at all, and I found him to be unhelpful. At one point he told me my neck was not sore any longer, I could not possibly still be exhausted or experiencing a relapse of symptoms of the thyroiditis and my constipation and weight gain were not related to my thyroid.

It was my PCP who took pity on me and prescribed Levothyroxine because when I went to my follow up I was a complete mess the likes of which he'd never seen but he is also not big on nutrition being more than calories in/calories out (which I find is the case in 98% of standard medicine doctors) and I just know food is medicine.