3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles

Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Exercise with arthritis?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #16

S/C/G: 214.8/164/155

Height: 5'7"

I have arthritis in my knees and spine. Due to the damage to my spine, a lot of movements are difficult for me. Walking is one thing I am seeing in a lot of these answers. I make it a point to walk 20-30 minutes a day, every day. I add in some strength training with SMALL weights (no more than 3 lbs) 4-5 days a week. I stay away from anything high-impact.
AngieRR1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 PM   #17

S/C/G: 229/195.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Should I reconsider my walking program?

I just noticed this thread on OA of the knees and I thought I'll post my query here instead of starting a new thread on the same topic.

I've been having Osteo-Arthritis of my left knee at its earliest stages, which I understood to be so because it only pained last year when I tried to jog up and down the stairs -- other than that, it has been pain free.

Now, for the past 2 1/2 months, I am in a walking program for weight loss. I started slow but recently increased my walking speed to 3.5 mph which I walk for 45 min to cover a 2.5 mile distance. Suddenly, today upon completion of my walking, I got mild Arthritic pain on my left knee which completely freaked me out because I've incorporated walking successfully as my main form of exercise and I have 50+ pounds to lose.

So should I continue walking as usual from tomorrow or should I reconsider the walking program? I welcome suggestions. Thanks.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #18

S/C/G: 163/131/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Hi all: I have OA from car accidents when I was younger and Fitness/sport overuse as well - don't even ask, lol. Anyhow, I find that I get the best workout in the water - you get resistance - as much as you wish to handle - but you negate the effect of gravity - which is huge when we are larger persons. You don't have to get your head in the water, and I realize that not everyone is comfortable with the swimsuit or the shorts, bra, & Tshirt combo. It does work great though. Rehab post joint replacement, injury retraining or just getting fitter without hurting your joints. The water supports your weight and also cools you, and assists with range of motion as well.
I can't lift weights anymore because of my hands and other joints BUT I can do a muscle strengthening program in the water since I don't have to firmly grip something to work hard against the water's resistance.
Try to get to an arthritis in the water program - talk to your local pool operator and if you are really shy - sometimes hotels will open the pool to you for a small fee to do your water walking/running in private. There are good books out there as well as video to give you some ideas if you are doing it yourself. Try to take a couple classes with a certified trained aquatic arthritis fitness professional first to give you an idea of the exercises that might help your particular situation.

Liana

At goal or below since March 5, 2014
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #19

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 8"

Default no more classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hi all: I have OA from car accidents when I was younger and Fitness/sport overuse as well - don't even ask, lol. Anyhow, I find that I get the best workout in the water - you get resistance - as much as you wish to handle - but you negate the effect of gravity - which is huge when we are larger persons. You don't have to get your head in the water, and I realize that not everyone is comfortable with the swimsuit or the shorts, bra, & Tshirt combo. It does work great though. Rehab post joint replacement, injury retraining or just getting fitter without hurting your joints. The water supports your weight and also cools you, and assists with range of motion as well.
I can't lift weights anymore because of my hands and other joints BUT I can do a muscle strengthening program in the water since I don't have to firmly grip something to work hard against the water's resistance.
Try to get to an arthritis in the water program - talk to your local pool operator and if you are really shy - sometimes hotels will open the pool to you for a small fee to do your water walking/running in private. There are good books out there as well as video to give you some ideas if you are doing it yourself. Try to take a couple classes with a certified trained aquatic arthritis fitness professional first to give you an idea of the exercises that might help your particular situation.

Liana
I was taking the water aerobics classes in the evening then they cancelled them because there weren't enough students. There were only about 5-8 REGULARS during the past few years. Some of the members cancelled their membership because they really just wanted to water aerobics. I had started doing strength training so I wasnt going to cancel my membership. Then I found out I could still go in the pool at the same time and just workout by myself. I love it. I learned enough to workout for an hour by myself. The other day I went on youtubeto find more exercises.

I will say this my knees are very bad and need to be replaced so I workout in the deep end so I'm not jumping up and down touching the floor.. I will say this a lot of kicking and bending the knees WILL CAUSE PAIN if your knees are as bad as mine.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #20

S/C/G: 163/131/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feelbetter View Post
I was taking the water aerobics classes in the evening then they cancelled them because there weren't enough students. There were only about 5-8 REGULARS during the past few years. Some of the members cancelled their membership because they really just wanted to water aerobics. I had started doing strength training so I wasnt going to cancel my membership. Then I found out I could still go in the pool at the same time and just workout by myself. I love it. I learned enough to workout for an hour by myself. The other day I went on youtubeto find more exercises.

I will say this my knees are very bad and need to be replaced so I workout in the deep end so I'm not jumping up and down touching the floor.. I will say this a lot of kicking and bending the knees WILL CAUSE PAIN if your knees are as bad as mine.
Too bad there aren't many aquafitters in your area! Some of our classes are so full, it is hard to get enough room to really push the water. You may have to concentrate more on x-country ski, scissors, & jacks in the deep end if the constant knee bending gets to you... Also don't forget you can up your heart rate and effort using your arms, too. If you focus on really pushing through the water with them - or if your wrists are OK, you can use webbed gloves or small floater dumbbells for more resistance, or raise your arms above your shoulder level while you cycle, ski, etc. kind of like this position:

You can also do 'washing machine' core twist & lifts holding slightly bent legs BUT remember the longer the lever the more force is exerted so watch your back muscles for that one.

Good for you on keeping it up tho! Maybe you can start a resurgence at your pool!

Liana

At goal or below since March 5, 2014
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #21

Have any of you ever heard of Oxycise? It is an exercise you do while doing deep breathing and stretching. It is very easy to do. When I first started to do Oxycise, I thought there is no way this can do any good, it's too easy and doesn't hurt at all. But, to my surprise, I actually started losing inches and my clothes became loose. You can find the DVDs at http://www.oxycise.com
Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #22
banned

My mom have knee and back problem, and swimming does help her, also exercises with body weight, she have online personal trainer web site insha.pe (workout via web cam). It is very immportant to strengthen back muscles all the time
KatyP27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #23
mrs jazzy

S/C/G: 265/235/145

Height: 5'3

your quote was just the reminder I needed.
thks,mrs jazzy
mrs jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #24
jmhwis50

S/C/G: 182/ 180/ 130

Height: 5 ft 3.5 inches

I have arthritis in my back and hips. I use the treadmill, it still hurts a little, but I am afraid to quit or i won't be able to do anything. I also power walk outside with hubby. I quit running as that wasn't doing much for my joints
jmh6251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.