Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'6

Wink Breastfeeding and weight loss

I'm currently doing insanity for two days now my current weight is 210 and my goal is 150 but I'm scared I will put toxins in my breastmilk or my milk with decrease. Any advise how I can lose up to two pounds a week with out messing things up? My son is seven months old.
Comitdust29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Keep up your calories, do not ingest toxic foods and rest when your body needs it.

Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #3  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

Is this your first time nursing?

I can always tell when my supply drops a bit, but my baby was 18 months when I got serious about this. With a seven month old who is likely teething, having major developmental milestones and becoming mobile it is going to be more difficult to discern low supply from the many other things that could be making him cranky.

Are you familiar with Kellymom? Google "Kellymom losing weight" and you will find fantastic articles about how to go about diet and exercise safely while nursing, how to estimate how many extra calories you need based on your babies age and consumption of solids and lots of articles about toxins. Dr Jack Newman also has fantastic research about toxins on his site. I'm on my phone or I would link you.

My personal opinion, after nursing my son for 38 months and my daughter for 20 months and counting and reading and worrying constantly at first is that unless you are doing drugs or in an environment where you are handling toxic waste the small amount of toxins that get into your milk from losing fat cells is so miniscule it isn't going to make a bit of difference.

If your baby is having wet diapers, isn't having dry, crumbly poop and is still enjoying his time at the breast you can rest assured that he is getting plenty of milk.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #4  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I agree with LJ.

I'm nursing my 10 month old and started counting my calories since he was about 3 months old. At that time my weight was somewhere in the 180's. Today when I stepped on the scale it read 133.4.

I'd suggest keeping a food journal and trying to eat as many fruits, veggies, lean proteins and whole foods as you can. Because you're nursing you can get away with a relatively high number of calories compared to other dieters.

Just to give you a ballpark, I started by lowering my calories to 1850, then slowly decreased that to 1700. I had gone as low as 1600-1650, but that wasn't enough for my body and I ended up binging a lot. You might have to play with how much you eat at first, but don't be afraid to eat a larger amount of calories, your body and your baby need it! And of course, lots of water/fluids.

Also as a caution, I did experience a marked drop in breast milk production when I started eating a calorie deficit. I still had enough for my baby, but I didn't produce much extra.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote