Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 296/ticker/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Opposite shifts

Hey all

My hubby just got a different position, and will be moving from 3rd shift to a regular 8-5 M-F deal. I work from noon-8 on Sundays, and 4p-1a Monday-Thursday.

Friday-Sunday won't be an issue for dinners since our schedules line up those days, but I'm at a loss for what we can do Mon-Thurs. I absolutely don't want to resort to a bunch of processed junk and packaged foods for us to be able to feed ourselves when we're on our own, but there are only so many slow cooker meals and leftovers we can stand.

Any suggestions for others in this situation? How do you feed two people in a healthy way when they're not eating together?

Thanks for any input.
ShelBl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

My husband and i deal with this as his schedule alters every two weeks from days to nights. Typically I'm the one who cooks all the time anyway, unless he grills in good weather, so I just prep it and he takes the leftovers - just as if we're both there eating but he packs his up and doesn't view it as leftovers since he's only eating each meal one time. I cook veggie fajitas - loads of peppers and onions sauteed can be used in lots of meals, as well - so I do up a large pan of those and use in omelets, on sandwiches, etc. I also cook up some chicken and use that in a variety of meals - on a salad, in sandwiches, mexican meals, or with a bit of pasta and parmesan cheese. Breakfasts for dinner are a quick option, too, if there is anything that you think would work out for you.

We don't use processed/frozen meals often - I don't like all the preservatives and we save money by prepping it at home. Most weekends I prep some of the meat for meals later in the week. Maybe veggie lasagna or turkey chili if you like that?

Good luck!!

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-09-2013 at 08:30 PM.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/180/150

I work 8 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday and hubby works 11 PM to 7 AM with varying days off. I cook all the meals and hubby takes his to work with him. We almost never eat together but we manage healthy meals regularly.
AngieRR1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I make my own freezer meals, but I also prep so that I have simple meals available at all times. The SO likes very simple, easy to heat meals. For example, yesterday I made him breakfast burritos, veggie/turkey meatloaf muffins and chicken/squash nuggets which I flash froze. Burritos can be eaten on their own, but the meatloaves or nuggets can be paired with a bit of rice (also frozen)/quick pasta/microwaved "baked potato," and some frozen veggies to make a meal.

I like one dish meals like enchiladas, soups, stews, casseroles, and chilis. They are simple to freeze in portions for a fast warm-up and a homemade meal in under 5 minutes.

When I grew up, my mom used to work second shift and so she'd cook dinner in the late morning while we were at school. My dad would heat up the meal for us to eat with him. Something like that would work for the two of you too.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #5  

Munchy - Are the muffins/nuggets baked, then frozen? Does he just microwave them to eat? I'm curious how that effects the texture of the meat. Hubby is kind of a freak about texture... he can't eat some things because of it. He's a weirdo.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelBl View Post
Munchy - Are the muffins/nuggets baked, then frozen? Does he just microwave them to eat? I'm curious how that effects the texture of the meat. Hubby is kind of a freak about texture... he can't eat some things because of it. He's a weirdo.
The meatloaf muffins can just be microwaved (they are very moist), but the nuggets are much better in the toaster oven, but can be microwaved. Both are already fully cooked and have veggies mixed right in.

Chicken/yellow squash nuggets:
Shred 1-2 squash and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Mix with 1lb ground chicken, 1 egg, seasoning, form into “nuggets” and bread with your choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or bake for a crisp exterior.

Yesterday I did a regular batch, then another batch with zucchini, sauteed onion, and chopped jalapenos for a spicy nugget!

This is the basis for my meatloaf, but I do pepper, onion, mushroom, spinach and make it into 10 muffins.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #7  

Those sound amazing!!! Thanks for sharing.