Exercising with injuries

• Hello everyone!

I was wondering who else has come across irritating injuries while exercising/losing weight. I sprained my ankle rather severely and it has certainly put me back from my goal. After eight months, I'm finally cleared to go to the gym again and I've got a few concerns. The main one is: how can I make sure I'm not doing too much for my newly-healed ankle but still enough to make progress again?

Has anyone else been in this frustrating situation?
  • YES! I tore a ligament in my ankle in May of 2011! I still limp from it! It's awful! It used to make me super depressed, because I thought "pfft..can't do anything!"

BUT then I realized I am a machine hiding inside of a woman's body! I listen to my body while not pushing it, and do what my physiotherapist said. I do low impact cardio, like elliptical, punching, and one-legged freak jumping jacks. If my community had a pool, I'd use that too!

Ultimately, it took me almost two years to realize this injury wasn't going anywhere. I hope yours is not as long lasting, but regardless, there are many things you can do to succeed! I truly believe the injury setbacks are far more mental, since we are already nervous about losing weight without any added obstacles.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Thanks for your reply! And strange to say, the idea of someone doing one-legged freak jumping jacks is pretty awesome, as well as inspiring. Good luck to you as well!
  • I have a back injury and my doctor does not want me to doing any kind of exercises aside from physical therapy and swimming (which i do in PT).

I hope someone else with back injuries can tell me how the pushed through without being able to do a good cardio workout like running, elliptical or bike..

Thanks