Ugh, just what I need...

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • As an update, I am off of the calcium supplements and other meds besides Synthroid. I have experienced some tingling but not enough to be worried about it. I go to the doctor in a week or so.

Fortunately, no side effects from the Synthroid. In fact, I'm wondering more than ever if it is aiding weight loss. Maybe I'm no longer slightly hypothyroid and it is easier to lose weight no? Ironic if try, since I'm just trying to maintain right now.

Within the next month, I expect to be put on a low-iodine diet and then go through radioactive iodine therapy. I am forced into hypothyroid state for the treatment so I will once again be worried about weight gain at that time. But for now, feeling ok
  • Hi Kittykatfan I hope you are well.

I had my entire thyroid removed almost 3 weeks ago. During a Dr. appointment (completely unrelated issue) the Dr. found a lump in my neck. He said likely nothing I can go for ultrasound or not. I went. They found some abnormalities. The Dr. then said you can go for biopsy or not, just follow up with ultrasounds every 6 months. I went for the biopsy. They found a malignant tumour.

This led to the surgeon deciding to take out my entire thyroid. I was in the hospital for 2 night. I am currently on synthroid (125 mcg), calcitrol (vitamin D) twice per day, and calcium supplements to be taken 3 x per day. I go next week to have my levels checked.

I was feeling pretty okay and the first night after surgery I even refused Percocet. I hate taking Percocet. I took it for a broken arm a few years ago and it dulls pain but I hated feeling out of it and the constipation was out of this world.

A week after surgery I got an upper respiratory infection with a high fever etc. But I am over that.

However almost 3 weeks later and my voice is a little raspy. I have also been coughing since the surgery. Not often but from out of nowhere these gut wrenching coughs come that make me almost urinate. I sometimes get light headed as it is hard to breathe but only for a moment or two. I have read this is normal due to the breathing tube used, scar tissue forming etc. I do see the surgeon Tuesday so I will ask.

My stiches were removed a week ago and the incision is barely there, he did a great job.

I am still waiting for the pathology. They sent it for a second opinion. The pathology will tell me if the cancer has spread and if I will need radioactive iodine therapy. If so I will be in isolation in the hospital for up to a week. I live in a small apartment with only one bathroom, a husband and two cats so no home isolation for me.

I appreciate any words from people who have been through this or anyone really.

Thanks.