Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucindaarrowspark View Post
I am here too. My struggles with Fibromyalgia and chronic herpes has been helped tremendously by eliminating sugar and wheat carbs. I also get cramps in my jaw at night . But since losing weight the pain all over my body has subsided. I am off Lyrica! I am off all medications.
I agree, going gluten free (like celiac) has made all the difference to me. I'm certain it's great to be off meds! I have an MD and Rheumatologist that are also into alternative therapies, so I'm taking some supplements right now that help me (no meds) and getting a tune up to my SI joints and lumbar spine (where I also have arthritis) from my chiropractor every 6-8 weeks or so. I know the jaw stuff is also made worse by my C-spine issues from an old car accident - every once in a while pinches the nerves that run up the side of my head through my jaw and ear area.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #77  

Just a hello out there to any lurkers, lol. Post a hello back for more conversation... Hoping your day goes well and you get some joy you can focus on instead of pain and exhaustion.
Liana
Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #78  
Started IP on Jun 28,2014

S/C/G: 210/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Hello! Have been in a flare and not been OP. It's so hard to stay OP when I am hurting. Found out I have rotator cuff tendinitis in right shoulder and got the cortisone shot but seems like it hasn't helped. Same pain in left shoulder and got the X-ray and ultrasound done. Go to see the dr tomorrow to discuss results. Feeling crappy
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #79  

Bull, I'm sorry you are feeling so crappy. Any idea why the tendinitis? Been painting any walls lately, lol? Doing too much front crawl in the pool? That was the cause of my DH's rotator cuff tendinitis a few years ago when he was in Master's age group competitive swimming. He needed to work on some flexibility in his shoulder and perfect his body roll after rehab. It can be hard to stay op when in pain, you just want to soothe with food... try some music you enjoy, positive visualization, a chat with an understanding friend. If you have anyone else in your household, ask them to help you with food prep - cleaning up veggies and cutting them up, precooking some meat portions on the BBQ or in the oven or crock pot. Try to choose the easiest IP foods and dinner plan while you are in pain, and just realize, it's not forever, you will feel better in a while and be able to be more ambitious with your meals. Gentle hugs to you right now. Treat yourself well, but try not to focus on the negative and find something good about your day you can keep in mind.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #80  

Thanks for your kind words. My left shoulder also has a tear and would need cortisone shots. DR advised to get trigger point injections to deal with the overall pain that I have all the time in my body. I believe that I have over used my joints by doing toooo much work. I am a single mom and before I was single I was looking after a lazy ex and did all the work inside and outside the house with very little kids. Lesson learnt that we MUST look after ourselves first and foremost. Sometimes we should be selfish for our own sake. AHhhh but its too late now. damage has been done and my body is paying the price for it. More Xrays for my feet and ankles and knees. Still flaring and in pain. Having a hard time staying OP. I haven't taken the vitamins as I am sick and tired of taking pills. its been two weeks I haven't and I hope its not damaging to not take them. I just needed a break from pills. I am taking my pain medications though. I had ice cream in a waffle bowl on Monday night and BOY DID I ENJOY It and I am NOT guilty about it.BUt now I am back on plan LOL. lets see how this week goes. Feeling bummed and then I read about robin Williams...depressed and sad!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think DH has fibromyalgia. He gets weird pains in different places. It goes away and comes back somewhere else. He calls it his traveling pain. He will not go to a doctor for it, and even if he did, he would not take meds for it. But the more I hear about fibro the more I think that's what he has.

He had shingles in April and the pain from that never went away. He has it every day on top of all the other pains he gets. But he is very active...never sitting still...always doing something. He works through his pain and doesn't let it get him down. He never took the antiviral meds the doctor gave him. He took a couple of the pain pills but they didn't agree with him so he quit them too.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #82  

Hi gals, I've noticed, and my docs have commented, that contrary to 'popular opinion,' people who have FM are usually 'go-go', perfectionist, Type A personalities and FM is like a whammy hitting straight to our very busy lifestyles. It can be very hard dealing with the pain and fatigue, alright, when we are used to doing so much for ourselves and others. I took a 6 week pain self management course taught as an outreach program originally from Stanford Uni (School of Medicine) and found it VERY HELPFUL. I know it is run via several universities in the US & Canada and is free with a wonderful workbook and manual and stretch CD. It isn't just for FM but chronic pain from any syndrome/disease, such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc. Here's the link: http://patienteducation.stanford.edu...ams/cpsmp.html
You should be able to get more information on programs in your own area and they are run by trained facilitators who also have chronic pain and have gone through this course.
As much as we hate taking pills, Bull, the vitamins & minerals are vital to keep us relatively healthy otherwise and actually help the pain. Try to add them back to your program since they also help with weight loss.
Here's a short article written by MD's on magnesium - which is important to lower inflammation, lose visceral fat and help the body feel more energized:
http://www.med-health.net/Magnesium-...ight-Loss.html

Personally, I find that if I miss taking my supplements or get 'glutened' by mistake, I am 'quickly headed downhill in the FM department.' If I am regular with my supplements and watch my diet carefully, I don't have to take any medications at all, except once in a while (1 dose a week maybe) I will have to take Robaxacet extra strength after a very active day. I also have arthritis in my spine, L ankle and hands so I know what you mean about the pain in the joints. You may have other conditions besides FM that can add to the pain and depression that stems from that.

Here's hugs to you gals and your DH wannabe, and just know I am thinking about you and if you can try to slowly get back to plan... You will feel better I promise!

Liana
Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #83  

Thanks liana for the valuable input. I know I have to get back on track with the vitamins especially. Today I have lost 20 lbs... Reached my mini goal so I'm happy and ready to do it two times more . Starting tomorrow I'm gonna get back on my daily routine with the vitamins and be OP with the diet. Tomorrow is my weekly WI too. Let's see how it goes. Thanks

Last edited by Bull; 08-14-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #84  

20 lb mini goal, WTG!! Bull! See, you will get there and the lower weight will help with the pain levels, too.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #85  

Hi everybody. Hope your day is going well and that you are feeling good.

I don't get too many problems from the pain of FM anymore. One in awhile, it comes on full force, but leaves after a few days. The fatigue is what gets to me. Half the time, though, don't know if it is from FM or Atrial Fibrillation, meds. Think it is a combination. Needless to say, when I am so fatigued that I hardly know my name, I crave carbs, and not good ones!

The Fibro journey that we are all on, takes a long time to figure out. Letting go of stress's is key, I believe. I know how hard it is to live with this daily, and then throw in some OArthritis, and you could have yourself a really fun time. I have OA in my facet joints, SI joint, knee hands and toes. The toes are the worst, because I find it hard to walk far. I am doing acupuncture treatments and they have been helping with the toes and the IBS that usually goes along with FM.

Enjoy the weekend. It is the last one of the summer, unfortunately.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:22 AM   #86  

Hi happy canuk: fatigue sux alrighty! I personally didn't get much relief from acupuncture but know others for whom it works well. My IBS is solved totally by going gluten free. At least that's one less fibro problem to deal with, lol. My fave time of the year is coming up, I love the crispy fall weather and beautiful leaves, boots, and sweaters!
I hope everyone is getting some joy everyday and focusing on that. Hugs
Liana
Old 09-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #87  

Hi. I am with you, as Fall is my favorite time of the year as well. Love the cooler evenings and mornings, and those wonderful lazy, mellow afternoons.

The acupuncture seems to be working on a few things. Tomorrow, I will have to see my chiro. and get my lower back put into place.

Now, if I could just get the Catheter Ablation done on my heart, and get this Atrial Fibrillation calmed down, I might beat some of that fatigue. I don't think it is all from FM.

Hope you have had a nice evening.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #88  

Hi Happy Canuk: Just wondering about the AF... are you getting enough magnesium? Very important for the electrical impulses from/to all the muscles and I know several people who have to take mag citrate supplements for their fibro. Hopefully they can find the little area at the top of your heart that sends out the rogue signals and zap it good! Sorry for the non-tech 'doc-speak.'

Humourous quote for the day from Mary Engelbright: "Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!"

Liana
Old 09-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #89  

Just sending a hello out there: Fall weather has been playing havoc with my fibro - a fair bit of pain in the knees, elbows, wrists, hands, but you all know the drill, lol. I think when the weather quits swinging from freezing at 0C to 28C within a day or two things will be feeling better. I've read that studies have been done showing weather doesn't affect fibro, but I think that's not quite the whole truth. Maybe it's not my fibro - maybe it's my arthritis, but whatever - it is what it is.

Hugs all...
Liana
Old 11-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #90  

Hi all fibrofighters out there... how's your week going?? I do check in once in a while. I hope your food & fitness plans are working out.

Liana