Rejected for an Individual Health Insurance Plan

• It's looking like the swollen gland in my neck is possibly a Goiter brought on by a case of possible hyper thyroidism. I need to be tested and medicated because it's quite possible that I could have Graves Disease. My mother has it and Goiters as well as thyroid problems run in my family. I have been trying to see my nurse practitioner for weeks because I have had this visible lump in my neck for about a month. They originally gave me 10 days of Antibiotics which did nothing. I am frustrated with having to rely on these questionable public health clinics and decided I needed to get some insurance quotes.

I called a company today and the first two questions were height and weight.. as soon as I told them what my weight was they said there was nothing they can do for me and wanted to give me the number for the state assistance company that has denied me already.What is wrong with this picture?! I was so embarrassed and discouraged. Anyone have any input on this one?
  • Avezy, try the website pcip.gov it is the new pre existing condition insurance that comes with healthcare reform.
  • You need an insurance broker - like a mortgage broker, they work with many different insurance companies to find you the best deal. Unfortunately, you may find that coverage is prohibitively expensive
  • My wife and I would have the same problem. Fortunately, my office provides health care, and on a group plan, they don't ask questions about weight. Do you have the opportunity to get on a group plan?
  • Unfortunately no, I am a full-time student so I work only part-time and I don't believe we have a group plan. I will definitely visit that website! Thank you!

Update on the neck: still a lump, probably not a goiter and no serious symptoms of anything. The nurse seems puzzled by its size and lack of shrinkcage so I have another apt. to go back to see the doctor that only works the clinic once a week in about 2 weeks. They are not sure what this is... it freaks me out a little but i've read a lot online about people with the same problem who have gotten little to no info as to what it is but that as far as tests show its not serious. Fingers crossed!
  • I was once denied group health insurance because of my weight.It was so embarrassing. I had to find other insurance ,pay it and be reimbursed by my company. Humiliating.
    Good luck with finding insurance to take care of this. You have been given a couple of options here hope one of them works for you.
  • Quote:
    Unfortunately no, I am a full-time student so I work only part-time and I don't believe we have a group plan. I will definitely visit that website! Thank you!
    If you are a full-time student you may be able to get on a group plan through your university. Call student services and speak with them. Also, if you are 26 or younger, you may be able to be covered under a parent's group health plan without these sorts of questions thanks to the new health care reform law. Talk to your mom or dad.

My brother is 25, a full-time college student, and he was covered under my mom's group health plan (for a fee, of course, though MUCH less than individual insurance even for a healthy, not-overweight 25 year old would have been) through her employment until he discovered that the University-related group health plan was cheaper.
  • This is what I'm scared of. I was covered on a group insurance through ex-husband's work. When we divorced, I was able to stay on it through a COBRA extension for three years. That comes to an end in February. So I'm on the hunt for insurance that will cover me. I'm a freelance web developer and virtual assistant and also work part time as the manager of a small Pilates studio, so no more group insurance for me. I'm 51 so maybe AARP may be an option as well.
  • Quote: If you are a full-time student you may be able to get on a group plan through your university. Call student services and speak with them. Also, if you are 26 or younger, you may be able to be covered under a parent's group health plan without these sorts of questions thanks to the new health care reform law. Talk to your mom or dad.

My brother is 25, a full-time college student, and he was covered under my mom's group health plan (for a fee, of course, though MUCH less than individual insurance even for a healthy, not-overweight 25 year old would have been) through her employment until he discovered that the University-related group health plan was cheaper.
    This is good advice. I was going to say something similar, but I couldn't say it any better myself.