Anyone here on armour thyroid?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • If so, how has it helped you?

I've been on Synthroid for three years, since first being diagnosed as hypo. I still feel tired all the time and have a hard time losing weight. I've been doing a lot of research about thyroid meds and I'm seeing a doc Tuesday who prescribes armour. I sure hope it helps me, especially the fatigue! I've been reading a lot of stories online and most people have improved after taking it. It's even helped some with fibro. That would be awesome! I deal with that on a day to day basis too...which could be cause my thyroid problems aren't addressed...possibly...

Please tell me your story and how you were helped with armour! thanks!
  • Hi, Violet, I've been on Armour for about 3 1/2 years. I've never had anything else. I'm one of those folks who tested normal according to all the numbers, but had every single one of the classic under-performing thyroid symptoms: fatigue/lousy sleep, brain fog, dry hair, freezing cold all the time, brittle fingernails, outer 1/3 of eyebrows thinned, dry skin. I'm on a decreasing dose, along with a toxin and heavy metal-removal protocol; last year I went to the lowest dose and if all goes well, I'll be off it by January - my thyroid function is on its way back. I have no issues with it. It's inexpensive, it's natural, and it contains all the offshoot hormones that the synthetics can't match, more like a normal thyroid output.
  • ICU, I'm so glad it's helped you! That doc I saw didn't prescribe it for me He gave me a supplement to try that should help my own thyroid produce T3. I'm seeing another doctor next week who prescribes it (per the compounding pharmacy AND his own office staff). We shall see ! I know I need more than T4.
  • Good luck! Thyroids are notoriously sensitive little critters. Best compilation of info that I have come across so far is "Stop the Thyroid Madness". It's an approachable read and it does a good job of explaining what's going on and why.
  • ICUwishing,
    How did you finally get diagnosed? My numbers came back normal the last time I was tested, but I have a family history and almost all of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. Is there anything I can tell my doctor? (I will check out Stop the Thyroid Madness)
    Thanks!
  • flippychick, have you been tested for antibodies? That's how I was diagnosed by the *fourth* endocrinologist I saw.
  • I have not - I've only been tested for the regular TSH. I am working on making an appt with my doctor and plan on asking for Free T4 and Free T3, Anti-TPO and TgAB (which I think are the antibodies). Do you think that will cover it as far as getting an accurate diagnosis? Any advice you have, I will be happy to take!

I am so tired of people telling me "well, you're getting older now...." Old age isn't a giant wall you hit at 40, it's a leisurely stroll over and down the hill, right???
  • TSH doesn't mean anything. I'm nowhere near an expert, but I can tell you that much. I've been to 8 different doctors. Since the fourth endocrinologist looked at the antibodies and figured out that I had Hashimoto's, I asked the others to look for them myself. Out of those 4, only one said that antibodies mean nothing and the others agreed that he was a hack. So, I'd say that antibodies are enough. And plain logic says that they should be. Why would you have antibodies if you were healthy?
  • I want on armour soooo bad, but nobody around here will prescribe it I may end up having to make a long drive to see a doctor who will though! My levels are "normal" they say here. Synthroid is "the best" they say here. Phoooey! They need to listen to my symptoms...not just the lab test. I've had the antibodies tested years ago and all was good. I need them checked again though.
  • I am on the Armour here and have mixed results. I am still having sever fatigue that is getting worse. I had labs ran yesterday and they show I am Vitamin D deficient I am at an 11, and my RBC, hemoglobin and hemacrit levels are all high. Since being on the Armour I was say my hair is back to being nice and thick and my nails car able to grow a bit now and not peel like they were. I just hope the doctor finds something to help me feel human.
  • I have been on Armour for about 9 months now....my numbers are getting a little better, but still have had it increased every 3 months following my bloodwork. I am still tired, but not as much as I was on Synthroid. I still cannot lose weight, and that is very frustrating. I can diet seriously and when I check my weight a month later I might lose a pound....it is depressing, for sure.
  • i just started amour . i have been on it for 5 months now and so far so good all my numbers have came back great. i havent lost much weight but my fatigue is almost gone and my hair isnt thinning as much. i have found that with hypothyroidism though stress can make the side effects of either medicine worse. taking a multivitamin can help to with b-12 it give you a little more natural energy
  • I am not on armour, but I can tell you that I have been on Synthroid for 3 years also and it has taken until recently for me to see the effects of it and before now have never been able to lose weight with it. I have Hashimoto's Hypothyroiditis. When I first tested my thyroid it was at 8.1 and just this month it is finally down to 0.9. It's been a long haul and i've wanted to give up but I stuck with my Synthroid and am finally seeing the positive effects of it. Are you sure you are taking your dosage correctly ? I know a few people on synthroid that don't know that it needs to be taken first thing in the morning and you are not supposed to eat for one full hour after.

Just some food for thought... my mom also has Hashimotos Hypothyroiditis, which is something that we have been told is not curable but you can slow down the process. Last year she was diagnosed with a gluten intolerance and gave up gluten all together...magically she has almost cured her Hashimoto's. Something for those with thyroid issues to consider.
    There is also a more natural supplement called desiccated thyroid.
  • Meh, I've been taking levothyroxine for the past 8 years, I haven't seen much good come from it. I've also been taking t3 and I'm getting sicker again. I dread going back to the endo. I desperately want armour, but there's no chance of me getting it. I have ordered a supplement that has dessicated porcine thyroid and other vitamins that are needed for the thyroid to function and I'm anxiously waiting for it. I'm 25 and I work out and walk a lot and I have less stamina than my 60-year-old mother. I don't know what I'm going to do when I'm 55.
  • Hi, all!

My doctor wanted to put me on a synthetic but I've been lobbying for armour. I'm hoping she agrees to it. I'm waiting to hear.