Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 04:24 AM   #1  

This is my first post to the boards. I've been just kind of lurking and amazed by the support and kind words everyone has for others. I've been having a lot of knee pain (both knees but the right one is worse) and I was told that it was probably arthritis. I've tried the injections but they didn't help. (The cordizone worked for about 2 weeks). Well, after x-rays, I got the word today that it is arthritis and it is "moderatly, severe" and since they have tried all they can try the only thing left is knee replacement. The doctor doesn't want to do that yet because of my age (59) and other factors (I think because of my weight which is 270 lbs.) My question is, has anyone had knee problems, lost weight and had less pain? I'm trying to follow the WW123 plan (not going to meetings but doing it on my own) but really need to really get serious with it because I can't live with this pain every day. I work full time and also a caregiver for my husband who had a stroke almost 5 years ago. I think I need to hear that if I got this extra weight off, I'd be pain free. (Wouldn't that be an answer to prayer?) Thanks for listening, I just feel a little bummed right now.

Donna
Old 02-21-2001, 06:14 AM   #2  

Hi Donna. I don't know about the pain - whether or not it would stop. I have arthritis in my back, and it doesn't make any difference at all, whether I am slim or not. In fact, sometimes, I think it hurts worse when I lose weight - but I never give up trying. My son-in-laws father was 410 pounds and had his stomach stapled. He was a security guard and did lots of walking. I guess the pain really subsided in his knees when he lost weight. The pain I have in my knees is also arthritis, but also Fibromyalgia and a lot of it is caused from the lower back, so who knows. I just think we would all feel better, being a few pounds less - maybe not pain wise, but certainly more confident etc. Hope you get better. Did your Dr. tell you to start taking Glucosomine? That CAN help rebuild cartlege apparently. Worth a try.
Old 02-21-2001, 12:10 PM   #3  

Donna, I've had surgery on both knees and yes, losing weight DOES help the pain! I got up over 200 a few years back and just losing down in the 170s has helped. So...if you need incentive to lose, the knee pain should be enough!!! Sorry...I can't tell you it goes away completely because it never will. It will still be bad when you have been on your feet a lot and it will still be bad when it is going to rain or snow, etc. But losing weight makes it more bareable so, I feel it is worth doing! I'm 54 and they won't do replacement surgery on me either. Said I would have to have it done over again several times (if I live long enough)!

MEME
Old 02-22-2001, 02:19 AM   #4  

Happy Canuk and Meme, thank you both for your reply. Even though I know in my heart I would be better off all the way around if I lost weight, I'm trying to get it in my head. I've been really trying to stick to the program. When I start to crave something all I have to do is think that it will take that much longer before this weight gets off. I want to start feeling better as soon as possible.

Happy - The Dr. did tell me about Glucosomine and I started taking it. (the money I save on food should take care of the cost of the Glucosomine since it's not covered by my insurance). Thanks

Meme - what kind of surgery did you have on your knees? Thanks for the words, "losing weight does help the pain". I needed that.

Donna
Old 02-23-2001, 02:53 AM   #5  
Getting healthier daily!!

Yes, losing weight does help the pain and I'm living proof of that!!! I have degenerative arthritis in most of my joints confirmed by a zillion tests and x-rays. I've gone from 240 to 190 and feel l00% better!!!
Also, I askd my orthopaedic surgeon about glucosomine and chondroitin and he said that it wouldn't help but also wouldn't hurt and if I wanted to waste my money to go ahead. Well, I tried a combination capsule and nearly instantly felt better. If it is a placebo effect I'll take it anyway!!! I'm able to walk now and actually feel alive for a change. Hope this helped some.. Carleen....
Old 02-23-2001, 10:20 PM   #6  

Carnation - Thank you for your reply. I really needed to hear this today. This pain is wearing me out, physically and emotionally! Thank you for your words of hope. As a reminder, I am going to print your reply and put it next to my computer.
Old 02-26-2001, 10:29 AM   #7  

Donna,
I know just how you feel about the knee pain.I have osteoarthritis in both knees the left is so bad the Dr said he would do a knee replacement but it would have to be redone in about 8 years.The pain is so bad some days I can hardly move.I also have fibromyliga and am about 130 lbs overweight.I just wont to let you know you're not alone.It's not easy. Good luck and hang in there. Neve,

------------------
Old 02-26-2001, 10:34 PM   #8  

Neve, thank you for understanding. I am not usually a complainer but some days it really gets to me. . . being in pain all the time that I am on my feet. With the Lord's help I am doing pretty good sticking to the WW123 program. My only hope right now is to get this extra weight off and be able to function better some day. We have about the same amount of weight to lose. We should support each other though this journey. Wishing you well, Donna.
Old 02-27-2001, 01:09 AM   #9  

Would someone please try to describe the knee pain? I have had a pain in the back of my knee for about 9 months now. My first concern is that it could be a blood clot-but I don't have any of the other symtoms that usually accompany those. The Dr. mentioned a torn ligament -she was guessing-but could it hurt for this long??? ANy thoughts would be welcome! Thanks, Karen
Old 03-08-2001, 06:21 AM   #10  

Default Long term knee problems

I am not sure any of you are checking this thread- it has been awhile since any one posted. I have been a poster here at 3FC for over a year now. During that time I have had 3 open knee surgeries for my severe kneecap arthritis and a chronically ruptured muscle that since its repair has developed more pain from neuromas. I have ongoing, high levels of pain that require long term narcotic pain medication just to walk- and to stop my kneecap from dislocating. I feel like my life revolves around seeing numerous doctors (7 or 8 orthos last year though only 3 were part of my treatment team). Overall, I have had 5 surgeries on my left knee, 2 on my right- all open surgeries except the very first one I had (though most of my surgeries were multiple procedures and included both arthroscopes and open procedures). My first 3 surgeries were in 1988-9 though 4 of the surgeries have been since 1999 (1 right, 3 left).

One word of warning- I was on anti-imflamatories- I had ot use the newer ones (Vioxx, Mobic) and I nver realized until I went off the VIoxx after 18 months on it that it was causing me to retain water. I was on Mobic for 6 weeks or so and even when I went off that (stomach problems) that I had less swelling withOUT it- for the first time since my surgery last May, I can finally see the bump in the shin that the doctor made to realign my kneecap. Looking back over the past 11 years since I graduated from high school every time I gained a lot of weight was when I was on anti-immflamtories (advil/motrin, orudis, naprosyn, daypro- you name it, I probably was on it)- I could not stay on them longer then a year or so due to stomach distress. Now I am 29 and can longer take anti-imflamatories for more the 10 days- 2 weeks max without irritating my stomach and I am on daily ulcer medication.

I do use a cane or fore arm crutch to walk- without it I would not get very far without higher levels of pain. I also find that it lets others know that I can move fast (and keeps the little old ladies at the stores from running me over with their cart )I am severely limited in what I can do for exercise- basically using a recumbant exercise bike is my main cardio. I also use a pilates, though I have to modify parts of the routine; my knee exercises, and hand weights for my arm/upper body while I am on the bike. I also use a TENS unit at home for pain, icing, relaxation/meditation to help with pain. I am limited to desk work only, no stairs, no kneeling, no squating. When I asked my phsycial therapist about ever being able to walk for fitness again he told me I was stuborn enough that he knows I could go out and walk/light hike somewear but that he was more worried about me getting back.

I have, in the past year or so, lost nearly 50 pounds even with all the surgeries and rehab. I can't say my pain is any less wiht the weight loss, but I know it can't hurt. I am really frustrated that for so many years my knee problems where ignored- I heard the "you have knee pain because you are overweight" more times then I care to remember when the entire time I had a ruptured muscle that was allowing my kneecap to partially dislocate and wore most of the cartilage off the back of it.

Christine
Old 03-13-2001, 12:45 AM   #11  
Justa Wannabe

Default Re: Knee Problem

I haven't read all the replies cause there were soooo many of them so if I'm repeating something someone else said, sorry about that.
I have no cartilage in my right knee and little left in my left knee. It's due to arthritis & weight. I started using this...Glucosamine Hcl (500) & Chondroitin (400) [combined together] and am amazed at the relief I have. I have since heard and am now doing it..that you should take one pill for every 50 lbs you weigh. So instead of the 3 daily they recommend, I take 7....you can find them at any health store and Advil makes them tooo but charges bookoos for it. Swansonvitamins.com has a good price on them. I tried it with Shark's Cartilage added but didn't get the same relief. This mineral (which is naturally in your body but not high doses) actually begins to repair the damage to the cartilage. It's best not to run out for long periods of time cause the process has to then start all over again. I hope this helps you. Nothing's like that knee pain and being unable to walk.
Old 03-13-2001, 01:23 PM   #12  

Default Knee Problems

Greeneyez - Yes, someone did tell me about the Glucosamine/Chondroitin capsules but I didn't know about the 1 capsule per 50 lbs. Thank you so much for giving this information. I've been taking 3 a day for about a month but I should be taking 5 or 6. I'll start taking 6 today. Do you take them all at once or do you spread them out during the day? How long have you been taking them? I sure hope this stuff helps me because the from the way the doctor sounds, there isn't anything else he can do short of a knee replacement but he doesn't want to do that yet. I think because of my age and my weight. Thanks again, Donna.
Old 03-13-2001, 05:33 PM   #13  
Getting healthier daily!!

My orthopaedist told me that as far as he was concerned, Glucosamine and Chondroitin are just a waste of money and if I wanted to waste money to just go ahead and take them. He felt that it wouldn't hurt me but also would not do any good. Well, since I was desparate to stop some of my arthritis pain, I tried them and I have had really great results. I just follow the recommended dosage on the bottle. The neatest thing is that the current issue of the Arthritis Today magazine (put out by the Arthritis Foundation) quotes a new study that found that it DOES help and is documented!!! I was ready to accept the placebo effect (I'll take relief anytime even if it was just psychological!) but now I know that my relief is REAL. If you have arthritis and want to know more about it and related diseases, it would help you to subscribe to Arthritis Today - you can trust the info as being factual and up to date!!! Hope this helps...Carleen...
Old 03-13-2001, 07:19 PM   #14  
Justa Wannabe

Donna....I take 2 at a time...3 X a day. The one per 50 lbs. was told to a friend by a doctor. The bottle itself won't tell you anything cause of the food and drug laws. If they did, they'd be administering medicine and thats a no no...grrrr
They wanted to replace my kneecaps too but said cause of the weight, the new knees would break down sooner than the 10 yr. lifespan of knee replacement. And I'm too young even for the 10 yrs even if I didn't have the extra weight. (I'm 54 now)....and he said second replacements are never as successful as the first surgery.....needless to say I had to find something cause surgery was out!!! I'm very happy with the supplements I am taking.
Old 03-20-2001, 12:36 PM   #15  

I too have knee problems and plan to lose weight and see if that helps.

I am only 52 so they say no surgery would have to have it redone too many times before the good Lord takes me away

I have been taking Slim Fast for about 2 weeks so far. I drink a can in the morning at AM then again around 11 AM for supper I eat a regular meal Unfortunately, I sit at a desk all day. I have not lost any weight yet but I do feel better -- must be the vitamins in Slim Fast I get no exercise hate exercise too hard on the knees It is **** to get old!!

This is my first time at this site but I have gotten several good suggestions for getting this weight off I am going to be a Granny in October again and my one year old grandson is wearing me out FAST

GOT TO LOSE WEIGHT
Closed Thread