Anyone diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism/Graves Disease?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thank you so much for your response!

Since I was diagnosed so recently I don't have a big data set to draw from as far as blood work goes. The first time my GP just said my T4 was "four times as high as normal." He put me on 10mg of methimazole once a day and 120mg of propanolol for heart palpatations (which I hadn't noticed, he did and EKG and said they were severe, but I guess I had gotten used to them).

Next time at my new Endo my Free T4 came back 4.02 ng/dL and my TSH was 0.005 uIU/mL. He really thinks RAI is the best course for me since my thyroid is so active. Also I had some reactions to the propanolol (nausea, edema, insomnia) so it's not really a viable long term option. I go for my uptake screening next Friday.

It's so good to hear about someone who had some success after their hormones leveled out. Congratulations! Maybe I'll look into weight watchers now. Is there a membership fee? I just started my first job out of college and I'm pinching pennies.
  • Living with Grave's
    I don't know if this blog is still alive. I was diagnosed with Grave's about 6 months ago. I experienced anxiety; heart palpitations; night sweats; trembling hands, etc. I went to my regular physician and he thought I had Lupus or Fibromyalgia. He sent me for blood work and found that it was my Thyroid. I was immediately started on propanol and methimazole. After three months, I was taken off the propanol. My symptoms had subsided. Each month, I started to gain 10 pounds per visit. I am up 25 pounds and am so depressed. I have never weighed this much in my life. I have cut back on my intake and haven't taken anything off. I will die if I put on any more weight. I was encouraged about the writer that was able to lose with weight watchers. That will be my next step. I saw my doc yesterday and he decreased my methimazole to 5 tablets per week. We'll see how that goes.

lcamp
  • Hi!

I do not have Graves, but my thyroid has always been low, since I gave birth to my daughter 42 years ago. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis. Tried meds, but had bad reaction and am dealing with vitamins/supplements and healthy eating and exercise.

Then I began feeling very tired all the time and last thyroid test revealed the thyroid wasn't working anymore! Thyroid meds were given but had to be upped to 150 mcgs. I am feeling great with energy and beginning to lose weight.

I started another thread dealing with Osteoporosis tonight, but wanted to check-in to see if this one was still active. Since I have thyroid issues I need ot be careful not to become hyper due to meds. Was hoping I might be able to connect with others here in a similar situation. Thanks!

Talk later.

Blessings!
  • It would be a good idea to put a link to the other thread inside this one. But maybe i will find your other thread mcsurf.
  • Glad you found the link, Pattience! We can talk over there.

Anyone is welcome to join us at:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diet...ight-loss.html

Blessings!