Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 143/136/105

Height: 5'3

Default Quitting birth control pills

I stopped taking Beyaz about 3 months ago, and I was wondering how that might be affecting my weight. I eat 1200 calories/day maximum and work out 1 hour 6 days a week (pilates, stationary bike, and occasional running). I'm lucky if I can lose one pound in a week. I know that this is a decent rate to be losing, but I'm working as hard as I can and according to my calculations I should be losing more than that.

I think this might be related to discontinuing birth control. My period is super-irregular, so I know my body is still adjusting. I've heard that some women gain weight after ending birth control, so maybe I'm experiencing the same effect? Has anyone else had weight problems after going off the pill, and if so how long did it take for things to stabilize?
Sonia Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I actually started losing weight once I stopped taking Yasmin. I couldn't lose weight otherwise.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/190/160

Height: 5'4"

I have definitely experienced this same thing. There was actually a thread that I created about 2 months back on this exact topic! I had been loosing weight successfully and then as soon as I stopped taking the pill I gained 5 lbs in one week. I was still tracking my food religiously and knew that I couldn't have messed up bad enough to gain that much weight. I did some research and found that this actually happens to a good percentage of women. I have been off the pill for about 2 months now and as soon as my cycle regulated itself, so did my weight. I am now back to normal but I know just how frustrating the uncontrolable weight gain can be. Some stories that I read took up to 6 months to get back to normal. Everyone is different so I can't say how long it will take for you. Be patient, it will correct itself.
IHeartMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #4  
Warrior Princess

I was one of those weird people that was always thinner on BC. After having my son I tried to go back on the pill a few years later and it made my hair fall out to an alarming extent so I quit them for good. Besides my GYN is not comfortable having patients on hormone BC after 35 (increased risk of blood clots/stroke) so that's out anyway. I went with Paraguard IUD and have been very happy with it. Lord knows pregnancy not good for weightloss so I have to use something.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

1 pound a weeks sounds normal at that size. It's still loss, right? You can ask your doctor, but I've been on and off the pill and it never affected my loss.

Last edited by kelly315; 08-01-2012 at 05:52 AM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #6  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

See.. here's my story, lol.. I started Seasonique in 2007. It was great, 4 TOM's a year, blah blah whatevercakes. So FF to 2010 and I want to lose weight. And I'm the SLOWEST LOSER EVER.... but in April of this year I realized something: all the weigh ins I would have when I was on the yellow-tom-week-pills, and not having as many hormones in my body, I would lose faster than when I was taking the green-every-day pills.. So FF to about 3 weeks ago when I decided to heck with it, I'm going off them to see if its having any effect. What I've learned is that a) DH will still buy condoms, lol b) I don't hold on to water weight as long (on BCP's I'll hold on to water for 7-8 days, yey, and off it its maaaaybe 2-3) and c) I have way more energy and I'm not as hungry.

I'm going to stay on my little experiment until 8/19ish, because I go on vacay the last week of August and I surely dont want to be on TOM then, so.. we shall see what happens in the next 19 days!

My "math" ie, calories in/calories out comes out that I should have almost always been losing 2lbs a week, but I've never ever lost that much. I'm lucky if I lose .5 a week! LOL.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote