Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/350/145

Height: 5'7

Default Hypothyroidism

I have hypothyroidism, anf I haven't been to the doctor for it in YEARS. I can't afford it. I don't take meds for it at all, I'm not even sure how bad it is. Is it possible to still lose weight effectively? I have been on this diet for 2 weeks now, and I haven't lost anything. Ugh, I don't know what to do.

Also, has anyone heard of Armour Thyroid? A pig hormone natural thyroid? I was thinking about ordering some online.
jg0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #2  

Diagnosing the proper dosage could end up with severe problems or death. Armour thyroid requires a prescription, There are free clinics if you can't afford a doctor.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

I have hypo as well.

I think most people with untreated hypo probably struggle to drop pounds. I couldn't lose anything until I got on treatment. My TSH went from 19 to 0.43, and the weight started coming off easily. Now my TSH is 0.24 so I need to lower mt medication dose, but being on meds made a big difference for me and has increased my energy.

Also-what the other poster said. Not treating thyroid issues can be dangerous and have consequences. My endocrinologist does not recommend armour.

Last edited by Mer du Japon; 08-01-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 142/140/120

Height: 5'4"

Post Thyroid problems

Hi,

Just had to chime in. I am new to this site, but I am on another thyroid issues forum on this site. If you have thyroid issues, they will not go away (there was some talk of "outgrowing it" when I was first diagnosed, 50 years ago!). There are free clinics and other resources, depending on where you live. Your thyroid is an important gland, and so is your quality of life.

About Armour: the way the it was explained to me is that there are some doctors who do not prescribe Armour, because as a natural extract from sheep, the level of hormone used to fluctuate, depending on the season during which it was taken. Just like our levels of vitamin D can fluctuate from summer to winter, animal levels of thyroxine can fluctuate by season. However, testing, measuring,and stabilization have improved over the years, resulting in a better, more reliable product.

Armour also contains all the fractional elements of thyroid, including both T4 and T3. I was on both, synthetically, for a while, because testing showed I was not improving taking Synthroid, which is synthetic T4 only. When an endocrinologist prescribed Armour, my thyroid blood levels improved and stayed consistent, requiring only one adjustment in dosage over the course of 2 years.

When I moved to Canada, where Armour, or any other natural thyroid hormone was unavailable, my symptoms returned, and I now only take a relatively huge amount of synthetic hormone because I have a very understanding doctor, who respects my experience and independent research.

My pharmacist told me that a natural form of thyroid, containing both T3 and T4, has recently been approved for use in Canada, and I am awaiting my next visit with my doctor later this month, to get prescribed. It worked well for me, before, so I am hopeful.

I also have fibromyalgia, which is exacerbated by low thyroid levels, among other things, and I miss the days when I didn't have to worry about my thyroid, and could concentrate on the other elements of taking control of my own life.

Good luck, and try to find a clinic or doctor to test and treat you. It can make your life so much better, beyond just helping you to lose weight. Blood testing is the only way a doctor can know, for sure, whether or not you need thyroid supplementation.
sandramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #5  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

It may be possible to lose weight with untreated hypothyroidism, but you'll have to work twice as hard to lose half as much weight.

There's also this condition called myxedema coma. It's usually caused from chronic untreated hypothyroidism. It can kill you.

Please go to the doctor.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote