3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   Everything I eat gives me gas... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/262056-everything-i-eat-gives-me-gas.html)

Dagny18 07-01-2012 06:06 PM

Everything I eat gives me gas...

I feel like everything I eat gives me gas! And I have been eating this way for a while and it hasn't cleared up...so it isn't my system adapting to my food.
I used to eat raisins with my oatmeal at breakfast. I decided they were causing alot of gas so I don't eat them anymore.
I used to eat lean cuisines at lunch, they all caused horrible, embarrassing gas...so I stopped eating them.
My mom always wants to eat at chinese buffets for lunch when I take her shopping...I try to eat healthy so I go with the shrimp & broccoli...and that gives me awful gas.
I am afraid to eat!!! It makes me sick, and it is embarrassing.
And I was taking pills for it. I was taking charcoal tablets, 6 a day...and stopped because I read they absorb everything and shouldn't be used long term.
Now I take beano...like 8-10 tablets per meal and they still don't work.

I don't know what to do...what can I eat? This never happened when I wasn't eating healthy...so I don't know if it is something that I am allergic to in the food that I have been eating-like maybe wheat, soy ect. or something else. I am only in my 20s...I do have hypothyroidism...hashimotos autoimmune so maybe now I have celiac disease or something.

So far things I have eliminated from my diet are:
raisins & grapes
lean cuisines/packaged foods
chinese food

so what do these have in common that I might be allergic to?

mom2threebratz 07-03-2012 01:11 PM

might not be an allergy might be your gallbladder, colon or in my case i have an enlarged spleen that seems to do that as well. also flavored waters does it to me

EagleRiverDee 07-03-2012 03:23 PM

You might try an anti-inflammatory diet for a month- it takes all foods out that are known allergens and then at the end of a month you start adding one food back in every 3 days. When you find the one you're allergic to, if you are allergic to one, you'll know it. I did this to find out what I was allergic to and the day I added dairy back in I broke out in hives and got a migraine. For information, I recommend you look at this book: The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies - and More by Jessica K Black, ND

brvsfan99 07-03-2012 10:03 PM

I get gassy when I eat alot of fiber. Maybe check into that?

Dagny18 07-04-2012 05:51 PM

Thanks.
I never thought about my gallbladder. I think I might start eliminating other foods, just to see what happens. Maybe eat different things instead
The thing is I feel that if I ate unhealthy, I wouldn't feel this way! So it might be the fiber...yes.
But if I order a regular sandwich at a deli instead of making it at home, I don't have stomach problems. That is why I wonder if maybe I am allergic to the whole wheat wheras if you order a regular sandwich you get white bread only...

Dagny18 07-06-2012 06:14 PM

Maybe I have low stomach acid??!!
I notice a trend that if I am eating pickles (vinegar) or drinking tea then I have less gas. I figured it was because my tea was peppermint...and mint sooths stomaches. But both of these foods are acidic. I also try to eat yogurt for the probiotics and thought it helped my stomach because of the probiotics...but learned that yogurt is actually on the acidic side.
I've read that some people have low stomach acid, and it interferes with digestion and so you don't get all the nutrients you need...but one symptom is chronic gas.
Now I don't know how that helps...I feel like if I keep eating mints, pickles and tea, and yogurt...I am just putting a bandaid on it. but maybe I can ask my doctor about that too...
I wonder if maybe I just eat a low acid diet without really knowing it...

ringmaster 07-06-2012 09:54 PM

I get gassy alot too. I'm not really sure what causes it, I think dairy might and also some vegetables and wheat. But I can't stop eating vegetables.

I think the eliminating foods is a good idea... start with dairy, then maybe wheat... The anti-inflammatory diet sounds good, I'll look into that myself :)

Also, have you ever tried beano? If it vegetables or fiber I read it can help,, I haven't tried it yet since it's a little expensive if I wanted to take it every day, but I read it works for some people.

Dagny18 07-07-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringmaster (Post 4396519)
I get gassy alot too. I'm not really sure what causes it, I think dairy might and also some vegetables and wheat. But I can't stop eating vegetables.

I think the eliminating foods is a good idea... start with dairy, then maybe wheat... The anti-inflammatory diet sounds good, I'll look into that myself :)

Also, have you ever tried beano? If it vegetables or fiber I read it can help,, I haven't tried it yet since it's a little expensive if I wanted to take it every day, but I read it works for some people.

Ringmaster-
I use beano...but I take like 8 pills. lol
I was taking "charcoal tabelts" and they really help alot! I think much more than the beano, not always 100% no gas but they helped. But I read on the box that they absorb anything, even meds if you take it within 2 hours. I don't want to live on them...I worry they are not a long term solution. Like what if they are absorbing all of the nutrients in my food? Like the healthy stuff too...
So now I've been trying to use beano more...I will take beano and eat and if I can't tolerate the stomach distress I will take the charcoal tabs as a back-up plan.
Plus, I don't think beano works on fruit? Like apples and stuff...so I keep that in mind depending on what foods I am eating. Though lots of fruit doesn't seem to bother me...like berries are fine for me. I cut out grapes & raisins though they seem to bother me alot.

blb1980 07-22-2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee (Post 4392727)
You might try an anti-inflammatory diet for a month- it takes all foods out that are known allergens and then at the end of a month you start adding one food back in every 3 days. When you find the one you're allergic to, if you are allergic to one, you'll know it. I did this to find out what I was allergic to and the day I added dairy back in I broke out in hives and got a migraine. For information, I recommend you look at this book: The Anti-Inflammation Diet and Recipe Book: Protect Yourself and Your Family from Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies - and More by Jessica K Black, ND

Is this why I have headaches now a lot and gas ALL the time? I have always had gas but never this much. I have headaches all of the time and on med to suppress them. The gas is awful. Sometimes every 3-5 minutes. Just depends.

novangel 08-01-2012 12:16 AM

Steak, garlic and milk. I only consume when I'm going to be alone for at least 24 hours.

ShootingStar 12-22-2012 11:10 PM

Try fennel tea. I can count on getting the farts starting about 1:00 pm every day, and they're hard to keep in because MS has messed with my nervous system (which includes sphincters, and slowed down my digestion). I even avoid things like Dr. appts in the afternoon because of it. I have found the fennel tea to work quite well. I got mine from Amazon.

BreathingSpace 12-23-2012 05:19 PM

i'm kinda of obsessed with not having gas and there were definitely some triggers that I have identified that were not the usual suspects:

aspartame
white onions (green are okay for some reason)
dairy (especially foam from lattes or cappicinos)
any kind of bean really (I've narrowed down my brands of hummus based on how much gas they give me! yes, really)
peppers, especially green peppers

Now I've refined my diet so that I'm pretty much gas free! It's awesome now that I think back to how I suffered....

Dogpaws4ever 12-23-2012 05:28 PM

I think everyone gets gas from some type of food, for me, once I entered my 50's, it became breads and some dairies.
But out of what I read from everyone else, not one person recommended (unless I missed it) to go check with your doctor. My doctor did a "work-up" on me to make sure it was not something other then the types of food I was eating. Once your doctor has given you the go a head, then start figureing out what foods give you the most problems. It worries me that so many people do not get checked by the doctor first to make sure it is nothing serious.

shcirerf 12-23-2012 10:21 PM

Just a thought, but after years of experience. Track your food and how it affects your body. By tracking I don't mean a few days, several months.

Look for trends in how your body reacts to certain foods.

This is a time consuming project but so worth it in the end.

I have discovered that Chinese cafe food, not a good plan. Anything with those hot peppers like in tobasco, not a good idea. Super processed food, yuk.

While I can't tell you exactly why cafe/Lean Cuisine Chinese food bugs me, or why Tobasco or super processed food bugs my lower digestive tract, it does.

I have discovered with Chinese food that eating it out, I think it's the MSG, making it at home, the raw ginger does not work for me. But I only figured this out after months of tracking my food.

As I said before, it's all a matter of tracking and feedback. If it works, great! If not, try something else!

wendyland 12-27-2012 02:25 PM

I found out recently that I'm gluten intolerant. I stopped eating grains and beans and have almost no gas at all. And I used to have it really bad. Really bad. I eat mainly meat, vegetables, fruit, very little dairy, and a small amount of nuts. It seemed very strict at first but the benefits have been amazing.