Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #1  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Default Dieting with a homozygous MTHFR (A1298C) mutation

I was tested for this genetic mutation because a routine lab test came back abnormal with high levels of homocysteine. From what I can tell the mutation causes the body to not be able to efficiently and effective process B vitamins and folic acid. Since this is the "newer" of the two popular mutations, the other being C677T. I have been battling weight issues for as long as I can remember and I also suffer from depression, anxiety, insomnia, infrequent migrains, a heart murmur, bouts of hypertension, acne, and high cholesterol. I have been able to find research that relates many of these back to the MTHFR except the weight issues and the cholesterol.

I was thinking that maybe since I don't process B vitamins and folic acid well that maybe it can be related to the weight problems and the fact that I have trouble losing weight. I was wondering if anyone out there also has this mutation and if they know of any relation to weight issues or high cholesterol. If so whatcan I do to help myself out or what have you tried? I've already been prescribed Foltx once a day but I'm sure there are more ideas and/or suggestions out there.
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote