Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 304.4/297.8/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Insulin Resistance

Hi! I am new to these boards. I was just diagnosed with insulin resistance, and am looking for a support group. I will begin taking medication Saturday (starting Saturday in case I have side effects), and I'll be following the IR diet.

I'm actually kind of happy about it. I finally understand why I've had so many issues. Now I know I'm not crazy. Everything makes sense now. I'm a little nervous about the new diet plan, but I'm ready to tackle it.

Anyone else out there going or been through this?
Gianna175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

Hi Gianna and welcome!

I lived with IR for years before understanding it (back when I was diagnosed with PCOS doctors didn't understand it as a metabolic disorder and treated it as a gynecological issue) - I've been on Metformin for 12 years with very good results. During that time, I was finally able to lose some weight and the weight I did lose stayed off for the most part, thanks to the Metformin.

About a year ago, I decided I was ready to shed the weight once and for all and see if I could kick my PCOS and IR to the curb for good. In the last 12 1/2 months, I've lost almost 100 pounds and my doctor has started to wean me off the Metformin. I honestly never thought I'd see the day but now that it's here, it's a little scary...the Metformin is a crutch for me (mentally). But now that I don't have the massive piles of fat storage, the IR is in remission and I'm slowly finding that I can eat slightly more carbs for the first time in years without it impacting my weight.

I'm not sure if you have any specific IR questions or if you're just looking for 'been there, done that' kind of stories, but I figured I'd share my current IR outlook so you won't feel like it's an insurmountable hill to climb. It definitely takes diligence, patience and solid nutritional focus to battle it, but trust me when I say if I can do it, ANYONE can do it. I was a severe carbohydrate addict. Severe being an understatement.

Good luck to you!!
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #3  

Wow! Congratulations on your weight loss! Thank you for sharing your story with me.

My doctor prescribed Glumextra and I just started taking it today. She said I may tummy issues when I first start, so I decided to wait for the weekend. So far so good, but it's only been 3 hours since I took my first dose.

I was told to link my carbs to proteins, but I'm having trouble finding information on what constitutes a serving of carbs and what constitutes a serving of proteins. Can you recommend any websites that might be helpful?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #4  

Hi Gianna,

I think your doctor is referring to the basic principles of The Insulin Resistance Diet.

This site gives a decent summary: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/insulin-resistance-diet.html

And another one: http://http://www.livestrong.com/article/418792-how-to-link-balance-the-protein-carb-ratio-on-the-insulin-resistance-diet/

Hope those links help! Good luck with your meds - the Metformin gave be terrible tummy trouble for a long time. I look back now and realize it was because I was eating too many carbs. Once I changed to an IR focused diet, the tummy troubles went away. I stuck with it though because the upset stomach side effect was worth the reduction of my PCOS/IR symptoms. I am not familiar with Glumexa but I just Googled it and it sounds like a nicer but equally effective version of Metformin. I hope you find success with it.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #5  

i dont have IR/PCOS but i do seem to have too much insulin in my body for whatever reason. i learned years ago that eating sweet stuff on an empty stomach in the morning would make me sick at my stomach. and i eventually learned to not eat sweet stuff when i'm really hungry due to the sugar effect/weight gain omg. and there was no dr assistance. i happened to discover some of it a long time ago in a magazine lying around. decades later, there is this low glycemic diet info that general people have access to. i learned to eat some version of that. i don't follow it to the letter, but i have learned (mostly the hard way) to eat similar to it. don't eat just carbs. you need protein or fat to slow down the digestion. eat complex carbs. similar to the glycemic load of a meal. i needed something physically filling in my stomach, so i'd eat bread etc when i was hungry. mistake! some true whole grain bread is ok, with something else. and apples are carb but they are filling for me. so the IR diet is a good basic eating plan. i can eat sweet stuff if i've already eaten soemthing else, like have dessert after a meal.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:50 AM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi Gianna: these boards are great for support. I usually hang out with the diabetic crowd, even though I am not officially diabetic, but "pre-diabetic" . IR may also be thought of as pre-diabetic. Hope you are able to tackle this sanely.
Will it be metformin that you will be taking?
PLEASE, don't get put off by any side effects, give it a month or more to adjust. really listen to the experiences of those who have been through getting used to it, that helps a lot. For instance, in my experience (but not everyone's) I find the gas worse if I eat a lot of grains, of any kind. But some sugar-free products (those with maltilol or other sugar alcohols) really make it quite a lot worse. So I have to moderate that. Splenda doesn't have this effect for me, so I make home made treats more.
Hope you find us helpful!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #7  

Thanks for the information. I've been doing a lot of research. I did better today... not great, but I'll get there.

Fatmad, my doctor put me on Glumextra - name brand, not generic because it causes the least amount of tummy troubles.

Unfortunately...or fortunately...I can't have artificial sweeteners. I discovered years ago that they give me migraines. I guess it's a good thing...less chemicals.

Thanks again for the information and encouragement.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #8  

Is it normal to lose weight quickly when you first begin taking the medication for insulin resistance? I've lose almost 7 pounds since Sunday, which seems too fast...not that I'm complaining! I know some of it is water because I'm getting my ankles back!!

My doctor also put me on Topamax for my reoccurring migraines, but it going back through FDA to get approval as a weight loss medication.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #9  

I don't know if it's normal for everyone, but I did lose about 20 pounds in the first couple of months of starting the Metformin and I wasn't doing anything to try losing at that time - just taking the meds. Had I been eating right, I imagine the loss would have been more significant. However, it tapered off once my body adjusted. The biggest bonus to being on the meds is that I've been able to maintain my weight losses - as opposed to the massive IR induced weight gains I endured before going on Metformin. So at the very least, I think the meds help you keep off what you DO lose if that makes sense.

Congrats on your big drop this week! It's very motivating. If it's any consolation...this time last year I was celebrating being below 200 pounds for the first time in 15 years. The journey is sooooo completely worth the effort, pain and frustration. Best of luck for your continued success!!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #10  

Thank you. I have been making an effort to eat right...at least more so than i was. I've cut out chips, dips (except hummus), bread (except whole grain sandwich thins), and most sweets. I still enjoy a small treat each night. Snacks during the day have changed from candy and chips to fruit, turkey and low fat cheese sticks. It's been quite and adjustment, but I'm feeling good....hopeful for the first time in ages. And for the first time in 7 years I am below 300 pounds!!