Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #1  
Losing to live longer.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Anyone with lupus?

Wondering if I am the only one and I didn't see a current thread, I also have PCOS, hypothyroidism, and a bunch of other ailments. I would like to think losing weight would be my first step, I feel much better today!

Anyone else with lupus?
Lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

My mom had lupus so I've seen what you go thru. Sucks huh? I am dealing with losing weight after having had a stroke 3/16. Can't believe I'm having to relearn how to walk.

But hey, I just keep telling myself: IT COULD BE WORSE! And I keep pushing on.

Glad you are having a good day today........enjoy!

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #3  
Losing to live longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
My mom had lupus so I've seen what you go thru. Sucks huh? I am dealing with losing weight after having had a stroke 3/16. Can't believe I'm having to relearn how to walk.

But hey, I just keep telling myself: IT COULD BE WORSE! And I keep pushing on.

Glad you are having a good day today........enjoy!

Marie
Well you sure give me hope , yes, it could DEFINITELY be worse!

It does suck, but I am trying to go at it one day at a time . Thank you for your warm wishes.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I have Lupus .

There's plenty of hope!!! I've been in solid remission since 2008! It takes a LOT of effort to get healthy, but it's so worth it!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #5  

I have RA and possibly lupus. I have the butterfly rash, but blood tests are negative so far. RA is another autoimmune condition and I have joint pain and stiffness. One of the most important things I have done for my RA diet-wise is omitting gluten from my diet. It can also help people with lupus. Gluten is so inflammatory. Dairy is also. Some people do ok with dairy, but I still think it's wise to give it up.

There is a book called "Dangerous Grains" that talks about how gluten can make our conditions worse. Some people actually go into remission from just cutting out gluten. That hasn't happened for me yet. Most of our immune system comes from the gut and if we eat things that are inflammatory then our immune systems can be compromised.

Lean meats, lots of veggies and some fruits is the best way to go and to avoid processed foods. I'm not perfect in this,but I'm trying.

I made a soup the other day that called for red pepper. It caused me to have a flare. Nightshades can bother people too. Tomatoes don't bother me though. Potatoes can a little,but not bad. The red pepper was not good for me at ALL! I won't be eating that again.

I've just paid more and more attention to how foods affect me. Some food allergies/intolerances aren't very clear cut. Good luck !
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #6  
Losing to live longer.

I had no idea about the allergies, I tend to do fine with gluten and such things, I don't really eat that much bread and such though, I am following a low-carb (and if I do have carbs they are always whole wheat), veggies, and fruits style of eating.
I do tend to eat once a weekend or so, something that I really really like. Thankfully, right now, my lupus is under control. I also have RA, because of the lupus of course, and some light pain in my joints at times, but it's not as horrible as it used to be.

Thank you all for the kind words, it certainly makes me feel better to know there are people out there like me that are working at it hard as well!