Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #1  

Default Getting Back on Track with Adrenal Fatigue

I lost 100lbs back in 2006, managed to keep it off for a couple of years and regained the weight after a series of injuries that left me unable to keep up with my routine. Now that I've recuperated from those injuries, I have been struggling with my energy levels for about a year and a half and I recently found out I have adrenal fatigue. I'm struggling to figure out how to get my energy levels up so that I can cook and do all of the things I did before to lose weight. I also have a small business and a full-time job, so my schedule is a lot more packed than it used to be but I can still make time for taking care of myself if I could just get my energy up.

I'm also struggling to figure out which plan to follow. When I lost weight the first time I didn't count calories or carbs I just cut out the processed food, cooked all of my meals and eventually became a vegan mainly to deal with really bad menstrual cramps. I think my mistake this time around is taking in too much information about dieting and weight loss. Although I've struggled with my weight for most of my life I never really dieted until I lost weight back in 2006. I've been trying all sorts of diets but I can't quite stick with anything.

I feel like I'm all over the place but I would love any tips on how to increase my energy levels so I can get back on track.
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #2  

I know how you feel! Both on adrenal fatigue AND dieting. I think the diet you followed before is best with adrenal fatigue. I already follow a gluten free diet and limited dairy. I'm considering going vegan or at least vegetarian with fish and chicken. I think beef and pork are really bad for inflammation and fatigue.

I haven't been officially diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, but I have so many of the symptoms and tested positive for the flashlight test. I feel like a truck has ran over me in the afternoons. I started taking vitamin C with meals and I can tell it's helping! I've cut wayyyy back on caffeine from 3 cups of coffee a day to just a half a cup. I'm hoping to completely do away with it soon.

I think the key is real foods for nutrition and still watch those calories and carbs. Also, no sugar or white foods. This is the approach I'm trying now.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #3  

It's good to know that other people have experienced this. I was following the Paleo diet for a while but the red meat was making my menstrual cramps worse, so I had to cut back on that. I'm taking Vitamin D but I think I may try adding in Vitamin C, thanks for the tip!
Old 06-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #4  

You're welcome! Let's come here and chat about this and help each other out ok?

Regarding vitamin C, everything I read said to take up to 2000 mg a day, that you can take as much as you want because the body won't use more than it needs. If you have diarrhea, then decrease it. I've been taking 1000 mg a day and may increase it. I'm also on vitamin D cause my level was low.

Were you diagnosed by a doctor with this? What did they recommend?

I've also been told to increase my salt intake. I bought some sea salt and I'm adding that to lots of things, but should probably have more.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #5  

Yes, diagnosed by a doctor. I was basically told to cut the sugar, lose weight, exercise, cut stress and rest. I was also told to take Vitamin D3, which I do.

Yes, I'll check in to see how things are going.