Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 01:34 AM   #16  
Spicy Chick

Janet: sorry to hear about your problem. You are very disciplined, I like reading your post because one day I hope to be as disciplined as you are. Just keep up your appointments until you get to the bottom of why it happened.
I am happy to report I bought the "freestyle meter",,I love it,no more finger pain, the forearm is a better place to test, thanks for the info.
I had to give up on waiting for the supposedly free one I was getting in the mail,it just never came.
My readings are not as good as when I was on glucotrol, I am glucophage now, 500 mg 2x a day, I think I need one of the starch blocker pills, I am going to discuss it with my doctor next month. I have never been to a endo. I think that is a option I need to explore also.
Everyone take care..
Di
Old 02-06-2001, 06:36 AM   #17  
Darts Diva

Hi All - Things are going better for me. I'm up to 70 pounds lost now, my blood pressure has come down to normal and I was able to quit taking one of my 4 BP meds! I am still taking the Glucophage and 12 units of Humolog before dinner and my BS has been great! I increased my walking to 2 miles 5 days a week an am still losing and feeling great! Just a few months ago my BS readings were up in the 170-180 range, now I am in the 90 - 120 range. The only problem I have is that my triglycerides are real high and I had to start taking Tricor - which is making my joints ache! Oh well...
How is everyone doing? I hope that things are going well for everyone else. What happened to all the "chicks"? Come back and write and let us know how you are doing. Later - Barbi
Old 02-07-2001, 09:13 PM   #18  
Spicy Chick

Hi everyone:

Barbi your progress is great, keep up the good work, I hope to get in your range one day, or should I say I will get in your good bs ranges soon.
Old 02-08-2001, 09:18 AM   #19  

Di, I'm glad you are enjoying the meter as much as I do!

Barbi, you are doing great! And I forgot to tell you-I didn't have any trouble when taking the tricor. Maybe you should mention it to the doctor.

I was down another pound at weigh-in Monday night! I've lost 74 pounds now!

I've been posting new pictures in my weight loss album for anyone that's interested.

------------------
Janet

www.picturetrail.com/janetlf
Old 02-13-2001, 10:20 PM   #20  
Darts Diva

Hi All - How is everyone doing? I started an exercise class last week using a weight bar and I am hurting! I have aching muscles where I didn't know I had muscles!
I am also still walking - I will continue to lose weight even if it kills me!

I have noticed that since I started taking the Tricor I feel bloated all the time. Does anyone know what causes your triglycerides to be high? Or is it just one of the many problems that comes with diabetes?

Later - Barbi
Old 02-14-2001, 11:16 PM   #21  
Rat Terrier Chick

Janet, thanks for sharing about your Freestyle meter. My old meter is over 5 years old and takes forever to register the reading so my doctor wrote a prescription for a new glucose monitor, leaving the brand name blank so I could pick out the one I wanted. I was happy to discover my health plan pharmacy sells the Freestyle monitor so I got mine last night. It works great! No more sore fingers! I also like the averaging feature (my old one did not have this). Again, thank you!
Old 02-21-2001, 09:01 AM   #22  

Hi everyone,

Tato, I'm glad you like the meter. I love mine and would hate to have to go back to finger testing now!

I haven't been to this site to post much lately. Not much going on with me...just waiting for spring! I'm sick of this cold weather. I'm still losing weight slowly but I don't have another official weigh-in until March 5.

------------------
Janet

www.picturetrail.com/janetlf
Old 03-07-2001, 04:35 PM   #23  

Hi everyone,

I hadn't checked the thread in a while and it has a whole new look.

How is everyone doing? Things are still about the same for me. My weight is still the same, maintenance is truly maintenance! I'm still at 74 pounds lost, trying for another pound to get another star at my WW meeting.

My blood sugar is staying in a good range and I see my doctor in about 6 weeks. I'm hoping for another good report. I don't think my A1c will be as low as before because I had some trouble getting my BS regulated after I was in the hospital in January. But it should still be okay!

I'm anxiously awaiting the birth of my new granddaughter in May. My daughter-in-law saw the doctor yesterday and her BS was a little high! I hope she doesn't develop diabetes during her pregnancy!
Old 03-08-2001, 11:41 AM   #24  
Spicy Chick

Default Hi

Hi everyone:
Just checking in.
Janet seems like you have been doing okay since your hospital stay.
Congrats on you forth coming grand child.

I have been okay, my bs is still not stable. I saw a ad for the Atlast monitor so I bought one of those.
CVS had a sale, if you bought 50 strips for 35.00 you got the meter free, so now I have the Atlast and Freestyle, I am going to see which one I like best. The Atlast has everyone if one piece, the needle, testing strip and meter and all together, you test in your forarm or thigh.

I take glucopage, I am think I am going to try the new gucophage xr...I was considering taking a starch blocker but a email buddy told me the starch blockers gave him horrible gas..When I was on glucotrol xl my surgars were fine, but it made me gain weight so I am not going back on that. I think I need some type of combo, I have never been to endo. I think that should be my next step..
Take care. hope everyone is fine...Di
Old 03-09-2001, 10:34 AM   #25  
Darts Diva

Hi All - I love the new look of the Message Board. Sounds like y'all are doing well. I'm doing pretty good - still losing a little at a time. My BS has been great! I'm usually between 85 - 110 every reading. I know it has to be because of the walking - if I skip a couple of days it starts going back up! I'm walking 2 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week. Plus I'm going to an exercise class on Tuesday and Thursday. This is the woman who could barely walk a half-mile without huffing and puffing just a year ago!:-) I feel so much better now and so much more energetic! Do I sound like a TV commercial? Haha!

The diet is going okay - I pretty much eat what I want, but really stay away from the sweets, rice and soda! Nothing can raise my BS more than just one Coke! I used to drink 2 or more a day!

I don't have another round of doctors until April - then I hit them all at once! Our clinic has started charging now to see the diabetes counselor - so I only see her once every 4 months now.

My fingers have started getting stiff and sore - I think I'll look into getting one of those new meters. I sure get tired of sticking myself!

Y'all take care - keep the thread going! Barbi
Old 03-19-2001, 02:56 PM   #26  

Default Opps posted to a new, Hey I'm new too

Hello Janet:

I am a 44 year old lady with diabeteas. I am very overweight and I need to lose weight. I am starting a diet plan (sensible). I am on actos and glucotrol(plain) and I want to start an exercise plan but afraid of the lows in my blood sugar. Any suggestions?

kathy
Old 03-19-2001, 04:38 PM   #27  

Hi Kathy,

Exercise is great for your diabetes. Just remember to start slow and test your blood sugar so you know where your blood sugars are. I test before I start and about 1/2 hour afterwards.

I follow the WW program, with a few changes for my diabetes. My doctor says walking is the best exercise for a diabetic, so that is what I do the most. I also have a non-aerobic exercise tape I do for toning and I have recently started using light hand weights to help tone my arms. I don't do any formal exercise routine, your exercise can be very simple and really help lower your blood sugar. Don't be afraid to exercise. You will probably be able to lower your medication as you lose weight and exercise.

Welcome to our group. We will help you any way we can. Post often!
Old 05-18-2001, 01:53 AM   #28  

Hi everyone,

Boy it's been a while since we've posted on this thread! I hope some of you are still around. I've been very busy with family things--I'm a grandma again! The baby was about 4 weeks early, but she's doing great. She weighed 5 lbs. 11 oz. Her name is Madison. She was born May 8.

I'm still doing good with my maintenance and my diabetes. My last A1c was April 16. It was 6.0, slightly higher than my 5.5 from last time but the doctor said that was fine. My weight is still holding steady. The scales are trying to move down a little again, and I won't complain if they do! I've maintained within a pound since February at my WW weigh-ins.

That's about it for me!

Anyone else???
Old 05-18-2001, 10:20 PM   #29  

HI EVERYONE.

I'M NEW HERE AND JUST LEARNING HOW TO POST TO THIS SITE AND ALSO LEARNING HOW TO DEAL WITH MY TYPE 2 DIABETES. I HAVE LOADS OF QUESTIONS, AND HOPE YOU CAN HELP.

I AM ON DIET AND EXERCISE ONLY, AND MY BS HAVE BEEN PRETTY GOOD SINCE I WENT FOR MY COUNSELING WITH A DIABETES NURSE AND NUTRITIONIST. THEY PUT ME ON 45 GMS. OF CARBS FOR EACH MEAL AND 15 FOR SNACKS (2). IT'S BEEN PRETTY TOUGH TO DO THAT, BUT I AM TRYING. I AM LEARNING TO READ LABELS! I HAVE ALSO LOST ABOUT 12-15 LBS. SINCE I'VE BEEN DIAGNOSED.

YOU ALL SOUND VERY SUPPORTIVE AND HELPFUL. I HOPE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU, AND WE WILL TALK SOON, I HOPE.
Old 05-19-2001, 12:54 AM   #30  

Hi Queeny,

Welcome to the group. I've never counted carbs with my diabetes. Is it hard to do? I just experimented with serving sizes until I know how much to eat--which isn't much! Really though, I do best with my blood sugar when I eat no more than 1/2 cup of pasta or rice at a time, or 4 oz. of potatoes. More than that and I have to take an extra shot. After having diabetes for a long time, I know my limits. I have gastroparesis and have to watch what I eat too--no potato skins or most raw vegetables, and I eat a more low fiber diet. (gastroparesis is a complication of diabetes, when you get nerve damage in your stomach and have trouble emptying your stomach after eating) Not fun sometimes! The higher your diet is in fiber, the harder it is to digest. I have to take medication daily.

Congratulations on the weight loss! Keep it up!
Closed Thread