Bouncing back from gallbladder removal

• I am lost and need advice!

I had my gallbladder removed a week ago due to gallstones. Now my surgeon wants to talk about WL surgeries. In March 2011 I found out from the doctor that a long time battle with PCOS had me dangerously on the edge of diabetes. This scared me to get healthy. Over a period of 8 months, I lived on chicken and veggies and lost 50lbs. The year closed with family health problems and I fell from the wagon. I have gained back 30lbs in the 5 months since and now am at an all time fight but have no idea on where to begin!!!
  • Don't panic, just start small! I went through something fairly similar last year (had my gallbladder out in October) and got on the right track by just counting calories and making an effort to exercise on a regular basis.

As far as WL surgery goes, I think that's up to you and you shouldn't let your doctor push that on you. Maybe see if your doctor can recommend a nutritionist first? I found that very helpful and not too expensive as my health insurance covers most of it, and I'm learning a lot of simple ways to eat healthier.

Good Luck!!
  • Quote: Don't panic, just start small! I went through something fairly similar last year (had my gallbladder out in October) and got on the right track by just counting calories and making an effort to exercise on a regular basis.

As far as WL surgery goes, I think that's up to you and you shouldn't let your doctor push that on you. Maybe see if your doctor can recommend a nutritionist first? I found that very helpful and not too expensive as my health insurance covers most of it, and I'm learning a lot of simple ways to eat healthier.

Good Luck!!
    I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I recently had my gallbladder removed, too, and neither my doctor nor my surgeon mentioned anything about WL surgery. I would be wary of any medical "professional" who would do such a thing so soon after a medically necessary surgery. To talk about WL, in general, is one thing. But to immediately jump to WL surgery is a whole other game.

My opinion is to research, research, research. Go to WL surgery message boards and ask questions. Get a second, third, or fourth opinion from an unassociated doctor. Meet with a nutritionist. Talk to a personal trainer. Pray, sleep, or meditate on it.

When I was younger, and more overweight than I am currently, I saw a surgeon, due to back pain. Instead of suggesting WL or referring me to someone who could help me with WL (nutritionist, etc.), he suggested a breast reduction surgery. Luckily, I was smart enough to walk out and never look back. Please be your own health advocate!
  • My DH had his gallbladder removed too and for a year he stopped losing weight. He finally did some research and found out that fat isn't digested the same way once the gallbladder is removed. So anytime he ate a high fat food, even if it was in his caloric restrictions, he would see a gain (which was very frustrating!) Now he counts his fat grams too to keep under a certain percentage per meal/day and it seems to be working.

I would speak with a nutritionist that is familiar with the challenges first.

C7
  • I had my gallbladder removed when I was 19 (which is SUPER young, I know). Before that, I was fit and athletic, but in the 9 years' since my surgery, my weight has definitely increased dramatically. At first it was easy to resist high-fat foods because I couldn't tolerate them, but after a few years my digestive tract adapted and the pounds packed on. You will definitely have to watch what you eat more than people with a gallbladder. It sucks - I know, but at least you're not coping with those TERRIBLE gallstone attacks anymore!