PVCs or Other Heart Irregularities

• Hi! Just found out I have "PVC" heart irregularities. I am fortunate in that they are harmless because tests show no underlying heart disease or damage. However, I would like things to stay that way, which means being careful to eat heart-healthy foods and lower my blood pressure. In the past it was pretty high but is now getting really close to healthful range but I need to get it down just a bit and keep it there, and also get the weight off.

I am wondering if anyone else is dealing with issues such as this? Perhaps we can share tips, what we are eating etc. I would love to hear from anyone having this or any kind of heart issues.
  • I get PVCs. They are typically harmless. Most people experience them at one time or another, usually after too much caffeine. A heart healthy diet is important, but to my understanding, if you have no other underlying heart conditions, that's not really going to effect the PVCs specifically, although it’s still a good idea to eat healthy! Stimulants will really aggravate it the most. Caffeine in coffee, tea, sodas. Some people are more sensitive than others. I still have a cup of coffee every day. But if I have a day where I have 2-3 cup in the morning, then an iced coffee in the afternoon, let's say, I find I will get that uncomfortable fluttering heart beat feeling. Although, after that much caffeine, a lot of people would probably complaint of heart palpitations!
    Also, stress can do it. It’s hard to avoid being stressed, but I have noticed that if I am extremely worked up about something, I get them.
    I would say just watch your caffeine intake and try not to get too stressed out. If they increase despite your efforts to manage them, as always, tell you doctor!
  • Thanks for your good input, GlamourGirl. Yes, PVCs typically are harmless; however, they *can* be a sign of underlying heart disease or damage. When the doctor found mine she advised me not to even leave her office before I called and made an appointment with the cardiologist. They did give me the stress test and it came out I am fine but it is still a wake-up call to get in better shape. And yes, as you said, of course we should always eat healthfully anyway! And since I also have degenerative arthritis in my hip, it is essential that this weight comes off!

And for sure you are right about caffeine! LOL when I had the flu coffee tasted horrible to me, so when I got over the flu I just went right on not drinking coffee; I want to remember it that way. Besides, I like mine with a lot of milk, which means it just needs to go. I have been googling and eating as healthfully as possible, and my BP numbers are dropping like crazy!!!