Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default TMI - Those of you with hypothyroid issues and on meds

Do you have sexual side effects?

Since I've been taking a generic thyroid med, (thyroxine - 75 mcg) I've had problems sexually. I still am interested in sex. I still can get easily aroused, but I can't climax. And it's gotten worse of the 10 months I've been on these meds (dosage went up only once from 50 to 75 in January).

Even if I try masturbation, it's not a guarantee that I'll climax and if I do, it takes twice as long as from before. I don't think I've climaxed during sex for 3-4 months now whereas before it used to be about 75% of the time.

I tried looking up to see if this is a listed side effect, and I don't see anything about it, but maybe it's something enough people don't divulge?

Or, is there any possibility it's tied to weight loss? the only other thing I can blame it on. It really is putting a damper on things- for sure!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Nope -- I take Levoxyl and I haven't had anything happen like that.

But when I'm off/on BCP I can tell the shift in hormones, and THAT can affect my libido. Perhaps it is the weight loss? That can change hormone levels too. Or age? Where are you age wise? That can change hormone levels. Also types of food eaten. With PCOS I know I have to be careful with animal based foods like milk or meats and try to buy organic there where possible to reduce hormone load.

Maybe others have more ideas.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #3  
Melissa

I've thought about age and other hormones, but it exactly corresponds with starting these meds. I'm turning 42 in a couple of months, so yes, it definitely could be other hormones too.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #4  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Berry I had issues when I was on BCP's. As soon as I stopped them, everything returned to normal.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/196/150

Height: 5'6

I've heard that it's not necessarily the medications, but the hypothyroid itself. Personally, I'm never just in the mood by myself. I love sex and want it, but I can't get aroused without help from my boyfriend. And yes, it takes me longer to orgasm now. I think part of it is I need the help of lube and I really have to concentrate on how good it feels. So frustrating. I just ordered some supplements that are supposed to help boost libido - maca root and L-arginine. I'll let you know if it helps.
JaneDoe357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/159/135

Height: 5'5"

I had a low libido in general, but it got a small bit better after starting my thyroid meds. But not good enough. I stopped my BCP - and it's back to normal!!!
ac1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #7  

I used to have problems when I was on levothyroxine. Very low desire and couldn't climax along with depression. My doc switched me to name brand Synthroid and I'm doing so much better. In general it shouldn't matter, but from what I understand some people have a sensitivity to the generic version. Good luck!
turboturtle80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #8  
Melissa

Thanks - man - I wrote this post way back in October and it's not getting any better. I think I've climaxed during sex maybe 5% of the time. Before it was like 80% of the time. It's beginning to be a real drag!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #9  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I am on 200 mcg of Synthroid. I know it is a hefty doze, but my thyroid is pretty much dead (thanks to the Chernobyl incident). I started at 50 and each time the doze seems to get higher. It has not decreased my libido.

What are your values? My endo keeps me between 0.3-1.0
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #10  
Fat to Fab and Fit

Could it be your bladder (causing problems)?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #11  
Melissa

No, my bladder has been the way it is for years and years and it's in the right place, just tips when under stress.

I'm on 88 mcg and I have no idea what my latest values are. They must be close to 3.0 as that's when my practitioner is satisfied. I was tested about a month ago and he never gave me the results - just refilled the same prescription. I see him in about a month.

I was having no problems in the department of enjoyment when my thyroid levels were at 50 something. It was only when I started thyroid meds and blood pressure meds. I haven't been on bp meds for 10 months.

The doctor thinks that it's my body readjusting... my experience in the past has been - I get messed up by meds. When I was on prozac for a short time it did the same thing. Libido is fine, but I just can't climax - get excited, but I just plateau...

If the doctor just dismisses it again, I'm going to an endo. It's beginning to be the only times I want to have sex is times I know I'm more likely to enjoy more and that's around ovulation time. I'm lucky if it happens once a month. It's been two months now.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-20-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #12  
Fat to Fab and Fit

could you ask for Synthroid? Sometimes the generics are "off". I have to take Syntroid because the other stuff was never stable enough....worth a check?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #13  
Melissa

I think I will ask. Especially since my numbers have gone up and down. 50 something, 13 something, 3.5 something, 8 something, 5 something and now it must be close to three again. I started on 50, then 75 and now 88.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #14  
Fat to Fab and Fit

That is what my numbers were doing.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #15  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

I have no thyroid due to thyroid cancer about 11 years ago. I took synthroid (a synthetic thyroid medication) for a year after surgery, and felt increasingly depressed and just 'off' in many areas of my life, including libido.

I began taking natural dessicated thyroid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccated_thyroid_extract

which I had to push my doctor to prescribe, as the fashion has become to use the synthetic versions due to irregularity in the strength of natural dessicated thyroid (supposedly). I have never experienced this problem in the past 10 years - in fact, just the opposite. Within about a week of starting to take the natural version (which contains t2, t3 and t4 like our thyroid gland produces), I felt like the clouds were literally lifting. I could feel myself gaining energy... my optimism, mood and libido returned. I have never looked back. And the best part? It's cheap cheap CHEAP! It costs me about $10 a month and I'm on complete replacement, so around 250mg/day.

Anyhow, just something to think about - it sure doesn't hurt to give it a try and see if it makes as much difference for you as it did for me!É

GL!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote