Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 281.8/240/160

Question soo many options, just don't know what to do....

I don't think I have ever been so confused in my life. I will give ya'll the run down of who I am, my goals, and what I have done already...

I have always struggled with my weight.....I have always wanted to do something but I never really knew where to start. In Novemeber 2009 I joined LA Weight Loss, best decision I have EVER made! by May of 2010 I had lost a total of 50lbs...after my grand-dad passed away, and then a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis I quit. I didn't think anything was worth working for...
we are now in Novemeber of 2011 and I want to change again! I have gained about 10-13 lbs back. know that does not sound like alot, but I think in a way thats why i want to change again.

I tried weight watchers twice for a very short period, I just got soo decouraged. (about 4 weeks a piece) it seemed like everytime I went in I either gained weight or I stayed the same....i need the motivation and the discipline of going to weigh in...it almost seems like fear of dissappointing someone else when I gain weight. were as right now, I dissappoint myself and then goto the fridge.

I am at a different point in my life. I am on fertility medications to help my conceive my first child, I don't know how much that affects weight loss, but I thought I would throw that in.

my main questions now that you know all the above. I live in Manitoba and the only weight loss programs around here are "U-Weight loss", "Herbal Magic", "weight Watchers" (of course), and "Jenny Craig".
I want something that WORKS and that is AFFORDABLE.
Has anyone tried any of the mentioned weight loss programs? how much did it cost you? how much weight have you lost? do you reccommend?

sorry that this is so long, I just want to be healthy again.....
KayleeB1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My suggestion would be Counting Calories. Reliable, effective and best of all FREE. Get yourself a Calorie Counting Book . I like Calorie King, or there are several online, it is a matter of preferance which one you choose. Calorie Counting is something that will teach you how to lose and maintain. I have done the other Diet Plans, some that you mention and found Calorie Counting works best for me.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #3  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

I second calorie counting! Many many people are successful with this approach. Yes, it takes work, time, and patience, but once you get into the groove of things, it's hard to get out of this routine. I'd suggest a 15-20$ USD food scale as well.
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #4  
Determined

Location: Initial goal was 150ish. Kept adjusting down to 135. Recently set new goal to 125! BMI Normal Weight!

S/C/G: 185.5 / 132 / 125

Height: 5 feet exactly

Calorie Counting is great. I did it, and learned it all from scratch. Within 1year I've lost quite a bit, and I figure after I stop losing and get to goal, I'll still remember what are high and low calorie foods, and even if I don't count strictly, this will help with maintenance.

It's even easier if you're a person that doesn't mind eating the same kinds of foods frequently (I eat the same breakfast and lunch almost every day). Most of my foods I know the calorie count without even looking or hardly thinking about it now.
whiteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I have to agree with the other posters: calorie counting is virtually free. Like BARGOO mentioned, I bought a tiny DELL calorie book; it's pocket size and so handy. I now do mostly portions -- becuz I know the calorie amounts practically by heart after all this time. If I get concerned that I have over-eaten, I can quickly count up the amounts in my head to be sure.

Years ago, I did try WW a couple of times; great program but just didn't work for me. Some of those programs you mentioned are very expensive. I've also tried lots of other kinds; but kept coming back to the portions/calorie counting, which I have been able to stick with much better long-term. I also use a scale & measuring cups to make sure my portions are spot on.

As for accountable weigh-ins, you could do that here for free too. There are many groups who keep track like TEALEAF or DIANA in the Weightloss Support forum. You live in a different province than me; but here you can go to see a doctor or dietician for weigh-ins (Ontario is free; meaning, it's covered by OHIP).

BTW: Jorge Cruises' "EIGHT MINUTES IN THE MORNING" has a detailed outline of the Portion Plan, which the Diabetes Association and other groups also use. It's very easy to do & everything is figured out for you ahead ... I got my book for under $10.00.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-28-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/174.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeB1218 View Post
I don't think I have ever been so confused in my life. I will give ya'll the run down of who I am, my goals, and what I have done already...

I have always struggled with my weight.....I have always wanted to do something but I never really knew where to start. In Novemeber 2009 I joined LA Weight Loss, best decision I have EVER made! by May of 2010 I had lost a total of 50lbs...after my grand-dad passed away, and then a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis I quit. I didn't think anything was worth working for...
we are now in Novemeber of 2011 and I want to change again! I have gained about 10-13 lbs back. know that does not sound like alot, but I think in a way thats why i want to change again.

I tried weight watchers twice for a very short period, I just got soo decouraged. (about 4 weeks a piece) it seemed like everytime I went in I either gained weight or I stayed the same....i need the motivation and the discipline of going to weigh in...it almost seems like fear of dissappointing someone else when I gain weight. were as right now, I dissappoint myself and then goto the fridge.

I am at a different point in my life. I am on fertility medications to help my conceive my first child, I don't know how much that affects weight loss, but I thought I would throw that in.

my main questions now that you know all the above. I live in Manitoba and the only weight loss programs around here are "U-Weight loss", "Herbal Magic", "weight Watchers" (of course), and "Jenny Craig".
I want something that WORKS and that is AFFORDABLE.
Has anyone tried any of the mentioned weight loss programs? how much did it cost you? how much weight have you lost? do you reccommend?

sorry that this is so long, I just want to be healthy again.....

wow, you have had quite a few blows. But you sound strong!

I really believe Denise Austin is the best answer ever! She has awesome, easy to follow recipes and easy work outs.

I have 2 of her books and they have recipes and daily menus to follow, with the calories already figured out for you so no counting involved! And its real food, not hard, restrictive diets. The diets out there are not healthy, contrary to what they say in their ads. Any diet that tells us to cut out certian foods is not a diet to follow for life. And that is what Denise Austin is all about, a way of life, not just a fad.

Leslie Sansone is awesome too. Her work outs are great!

Good luck to you!
Michinmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #7  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I would chime in for lower carb options, like south beach or atkins. If you don't want to start with induction, start at phase 2 or 3, with lower carbs, and watch portions so the total calories are also within calorie counts that you would use on other plans. The reason I suggest this, is that this is something you could do during your planned pregnancy.
You likely know you are high risk for gestational diabetes, so you may need to carb count during pregnancy anyhow. With lots of veggies, this would be a very healthy diet during pregnancy. Of course, make sure you are taking a folic acid supplement!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I think counting (calories/points/exchanges) is the best bet, but if you don't know the latter two programs and don't want to pay to learn them, calories are the easiest to figure out. I also believe that whole foods are better than pre-packaged processed foods, and that saves you health and money!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote