Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #1  

Default Does anyone take medication...

that stimulates hunger?

I take a medication that makes people hungry!

Can anyone else relate?
malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Not personally. You could always combat that extra hunger with the old tricks- adding lots of fiber, protein, and water to your diet. That should help even the ground for you.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I had to in the past for my IBS. I tried to eat small meals pretty often, which helped. So did drinking water. I tried to fill up on more veggies, fruit, and lean protein. Hope that helps!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #4  

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate the input and the support.
malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #5  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Yes, Prednisone is bad for causing ravenous hunger that will make you want to eat a house and everything in it. I can totally relate. It's possible to take hunger causing meds and not gain, but for me during the time I took that medicine I didn't lose weight either. All the previous suggestions are awesome, even if you aren't taking meds.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm periodically on prednisone for my autoimmune disease, and prednisone hunger is a monster. In my experience, there's no way to eat enough to ever feel satisfied on prednisone. My stomach can feel full to bursting and I still have a terrible impulse to keep eating, feeling as if I'm still starving, and that I HAVE to keep eating (almost as if something bad will happen to me if I don't).

It's just the weird beast that is prednisone.

Drastically cutting carbs, and especially while on prednisone has helped, but I do have to take a lot of extra precautions while on prednisone (keeping even remotely tempting foods out of the house, reducing carbs to a minimum except from nonstarchy, raw veggies...).

It's rough, that's for sure.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-08-2011 at 08:23 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #7  

I just recently took a round of prednisone at the same time I went paleo, I expected to gain 10lbs--which is what usually happens, instead I lost 3 I was more than a little stunned, but feeling better thats for sure.....
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Prednisone and Lyrica made me always hungry. Thank God I am off both! However, I used to eat small frequent meals to control the hunger while managing my weight
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #9  

I’m also battling with weight lately; think it’s the age thing. Could always eat whatever I wanted in school and university even after that, but since I reached 32 I tend to really pick-up the pounds! And I’m constantly hungry, but I found that Body2tone is really helping me; it’s 100% natural product. They focus on assisting the root causes of weight gain and teach you about your body and lifestyle, as different people react differently to various foods and supplements. But I don’t want to bore you with the detail go and have a look at their website maybe this will work for you as well. I figured out that the full diet thing does not always work for me, but the healthy eating plan does work. Hope you will find the right thing for you. Keep us up to date!
Raynolds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM   #10  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

I used to take a cocktail of Lithium and Zyprexa. Zyprexa gave me the munchies bad and Lithium made the weight stick. In the span of 4 months I gained fifty pounds.
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote