3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   So Frustrating! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/222677-so-frustrating.html)

aasshhlleeyy 01-17-2011 02:23 AM

So Frustrating!

Hi everyone Im pretty new to all of this but this site and all of you wonderful girlies have helped so much so far, but Im pretty upset. I have been going to the gym and been calorie counting and its working I have lost about 5lbs so far in the past week or so but I was so excited to do the C25K program, well turns out I tried and I cant. Last April I had an accident and I slipped and fell and broke two bones in my leg my tibia and fibula. I had surgery and had to have two plates and about 12 screws put in place and I was better... or so I thought I tried to run to start the C25K but it hurt so bad there is n way I can do it... its so discouraging :(

Justwant2Bhealthy 01-17-2011 04:43 PM

:hug:ASHLEY ~ I know how you feel as I am in the same boat as you -- I fractured my left calf bone some years ago and it never really healed properly (had a blood clot in it etc); and it still swells up to this day esp as the day goes on. I also damaged my right knee severely (kept dislocating); but it is much better than before. If I over=strain it by walking or standing on it too much or for too long, it collapses on me.

I would read about all these people doing running or jogging to help them in their WL and saw how much it was helping; but like you, I can't -- too many injuries there. SOOOO, I did some research and found some other alternatives ~ the one you might like to try most is called POWER WALKING (used to be called Speed-walking and is an Olympic event even). You start off walking normal but pumping your arms; then as you go along, you speed up the pace. You go back and forth; faster, slower, faster, slower, etc. You burn more calories this way too; similar to running.

The other one that I can do right now is -- NORDIC or SKI-WALKING; you can do this winter and summer. Some people call it TREKKING or hiking too; so take your pick. You buy a pair of ski poles or trekking poles. Trekking poles have 3 different pairs of pick ends; one for snow, hiking, and walking, I think. I picked up two pairs of almost new poles at our local second-hand thrift shop for only $2.00 a pair. I love them.

They give you a full body workout becuz your arms are going as you walk; and the poles help you to walk FASTER too. That helps you to burn more energy as well. The first few times, my shoulders were sore, but that was becuz they weren't used to it; later on, that goes away. I use them a lot now (as well as my two canes) for walking anywhere; especially on uneven ground or surfaces.

You can get a nice MP3 or IPOD or tape recorder and listen to bouncy music as you go, that can help you pick up the pace a bit. I bet you could do this instead; if I can, anybody can. :D

goal4agirl 01-20-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aasshhlleeyy (Post 3657610)
Hi everyone Im pretty new to all of this but this site and all of you wonderful girlies have helped so much so far, but Im pretty upset. I have been going to the gym and been calorie counting and its working I have lost about 5lbs so far in the past week or so but I was so excited to do the C25K program, well turns out I tried and I cant. Last April I had an accident and I slipped and fell and broke two bones in my leg my tibia and fibula. I had surgery and had to have two plates and about 12 screws put in place and I was better... or so I thought I tried to run to start the C25K but it hurt so bad there is n way I can do it... its so discouraging :(

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry you have gone through this! I personally have never broken a bone but my son broke his leg two months before he graduated college. I could not stop crying. He healed nicely but he tells me it never lets you forget it was broken. And that was 3 years ago. He does exercise but it has to be low impact type exercise. He uses his elliptical and enjoys it because it does not hurt his leg. In the summer he swims laps and does real good with that. Before his accident he loved squash but after he could not play it anymore. :(
I know you are dissapointed but you are smart to stop and not push it because your pain was telling you to stop. You will find other exercise that will be easier on your leg. :hug:

MzJuicyD 01-28-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aasshhlleeyy (Post 3657610)

Hey! I notice that we had similar starting weights and similar current weights. I have been thinkin about running but i always get afraid when im on the tread at the gym lol. I just feel like im too big it could break the machine lol. Do you have any tips on how to get my running started? Ive never liked running and always tried to avoid it. Im thinking about starting off in my neighborhood.

aasshhlleeyy 01-30-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MzJuicyD (Post 3681502)
Hey! I notice that we had similar starting weights and similar current weights. I have been thinkin about running but i always get afraid when im on the tread at the gym lol. I just feel like im too big it could break the machine lol. Do you have any tips on how to get my running started? Ive never liked running and always tried to avoid it. Im thinking about starting off in my neighborhood.

Hey girl,
You are deffenitely not too big to run! If it is something you want to do then you can do it. I don't know if you have any previous injuries and or health problems, so It's a little hard for me to give you specific advice