Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 AM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default Experiences with Acupuncture?

Hi all,

As most people on here have probably heard by this point, I have a long-standing shoulder injury from being thrown off of an elliptical trainer. This injury resulted in the formation of 7 or 8 major trigger points in the muscles surrounding my shoulder blade. These are limiting range of motion and causing me a considerable amount of pain, especially when I do something that aggravates it (most recently, a really super-duper turbulent flight in which I was flung to and fro and against my seat for an hour).

We've tried a lot of treatments (PT, deep tissue massage, 22 cortisone shots into the trigger points and counting), and finally my pain management doc recommended that I try acupuncture as nothing else has helped long-term. So I found someone highly reviewed and made an appointment for 12:45 tomorrow.

Anyone done any acupuncture for any reason, or specifically for a musculoskeletal injury or pain? What should I expect? Did it hurt (I'm not particularly scared of needles or anything...just curious if I should prep myself for discomfort)? Should I anticipate additional herbs/other alternative treatments to be suggested? Did it help?

I have a lot of respect for non-Western medicine, but I've never actually experienced any of it before! Any reassurance is appreciated!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 AM   #2  
westernsoutherngirl

S/C/G: 170/164/145

Height: 5'6'

I have used acupuncture for migraines but not for a specific injury. For the migraines I found it helpful. In terms of the process itself, I only felt like a pressure feeling with the insertion of the needles - did not feel any "needle sticking" sensation. Afterwards, my muscles felt a little sore to the touch kind of like my neck and shoulder muscles feel after a massage. After about the 3rd treatment I felt so relaxed I would fall asleep on the table. It is not nearly as scary as it sounds!
westernsoutherngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I had it for back pain from an old injury several years ago. While my back will never be what it was prior to the injury acupuncture definitely got rid of the pain. I really enjoyed my sessions. It sounds strange to say, but they felt beautiful. I was comfortable and relaxed.

Oh yeah, I also had it for my knee and thigh. I tore a knee ligament skiing and my thigh muscle became super tight to compensate for my knee. This treatment wasn't as successful as I still have tightness along my upper thigh, though not as bad. I used a different practitioner this last time so I don't know if that's why. I found certain exercises more beneficial; so, I'm okay.

You should definitely give it a shot.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Acupuncture does not hurt. See a real traditional Chinese medicine-trained person/doctor who might supplement your treatments with teas (yes they taste horrid) and other Eastern treatments, such as Qi Gong therapy. I saw a Chinese doctor for back pain several years ago - amazing results. (And, I'm a western physician, hard core scientifically trained scientist.)
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #5  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hey Amanda,
I have had many acupuncture treatments and they do not hurt, the needles are so fine, you hardly notice a poke even, they stick out quite far the needles & I looked like a human pin cushion! This may help you tremendously, everybody is different obviously what helps one may not help another. It will surely be a pleasant experience for you- way better than cortizone shots 4-sho! No worries- hope that this will give you the much needed relief that you need, every time I read about your injury I still wince. Take care & hope the acupuncture is for you. Oh yeah my acupuncturist always gave me I forget the technical term- ( stimulation of the muscles) to help you relax which feels amazing in itself & then the needles got inserted. Relax, breathe & enjoy. I hope you get some relief soon from the procedures Amanda. ~ Wendalyn

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 01-27-2010 at 08:16 AM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #6  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Acupuncture fan here - my practitioner was Chinese, and after inserting the needles (no pain, just a slight feeling of pressure sometimes) she'd massage my feet and legs... mmm, so good. Very relaxing and really I just wanted to fall asleep. Good luck - that injury of yours sounds so ouchy!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

Thanks, guys! Everyone I've talked to has been very reassuring.

Now...what do I wear?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #8  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

I just wore my panties under a sheet on a massage table. She needed access to my chest and tummy.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #9  

I've had acupuncture several times on my lower back and knee for pain relief. I always just wore loose fitting clothes and rolled up the leg or the top.

Didn't find the acupuncture any worse than the pain I was already in. Didn't really take any of my pain away either (which is severe) however, it did relax my body which is something that never happens. Due to the level of pain I am in and how constant it is, my body is tensed completely all the time.

I'd definitely give it a shot. Anything that can give you relief is worth trying.

Good luck.

Last edited by TheTigz; 01-28-2010 at 07:12 AM.
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

Well, I went, but I don't feel any different. Have another appointment for next week.

You guys are right when you say you don't feel the needles as much as you'd expect, but I definitely had some strange tingling going on up and down my side.

So I guess we'll see. So far, no change.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #11  

I went for two different reasons - really bad cramps and a pinched nerve in my lower back. Both problems took a few sessions to fix, but it did work.

Be patient. If you have had the injury for awhile, it may take a bit to fix it.

I have been thinking I should schedule an appointment for my back again - it's been a few years now and it is starting to hurt again.

Did you fall asleep on the table? That was the best part for me
Wavesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

I definitely did NOT fall asleep on the table. I was really, really, REALLY bored, though. Mind-numbing.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #13  
dougs wife sarahs mommy

S/C/G: 210/194/165

Height: 5'6

i have osteoarthritis in both knees and i get acupuncture from my naturopaths are certified in chinese medicine. Amazing results.

FWIW: when i was overdue with my daughter i got three rounds of acupuncture and it worked like a charm.

Curious if you've gone to a chiropractor certified in Active Release Therapy? Mine is and he's amazing, he also is certified in laser therapy as well. Just a thought.
jenatgym is offline   Reply With Quote