Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #1  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

Unhappy Headrush/panic attack after eating?

Hi guys, I was unsure if I was the only one having these symptoms so I figured I'd ask...

For a couple of years I've suffered infrequent panic attacks sometimes after I ate. I always had this weird OCD fear of my food being poisoned so I thought it was all in my head.

This fall it intensified and I felt more aware of my heartbeat at times and would swoon/feel faint/panic in class or before falling asleep.

Since moving here to Europe this semester and living alone I've been having these dizzy/panic spells after almost every meal except breakfast, which is an egg, a slice of cheese, and an apple with hot green tea.

My other meals are chicken breast/veggies with vinegar, and whole wheat pasta with spicy sauce. In the past I've had problems with acid reflux and my diet did change quite a bit when I got here.

Today I made 2 scrambled eggs with peppers, got about 1/4 of the way through it and panicked so hard I started bawling and could not finish.

I've tried googling it and came up with a lot of people like me but nobody knows what it is. They have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, vertigo, extreme anxiety and a bunch of other stuff but still experience the symptoms. Could it really just be anxiety? I'm terrified to eat now and I know I won't even come close to reaching my minimum calories today, which will stop my weight loss and I do NOT want that!

Is anyone familiar with these symptoms? Seeing a doctor here is expensive and difficult for a study abroad student and I'd rather not waste the money if it really is just in my head. Sorry about the wall of text; thanks for listening!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #2  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

I am not a professional, but have read a lot about panic attacks, OCD and cognitive behavior therapy. Your symptoms sound very much like the ones many people describe who suffer from a combination of panic/OCD. You have to rule out first that it's not physiological, but I would definitely look into seeing a therapist. You DO NOT have to live this way.
Take care of yourself.
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris313 View Post
I am not a professional, but have read a lot about panic attacks, OCD and cognitive behavior therapy. Your symptoms sound very much like the ones many people describe who suffer from a combination of panic/OCD. You have to rule out first that it's not physiological, but I would definitely look into seeing a therapist. You DO NOT have to live this way.
Take care of yourself.
Agree totally with this ^.

I am not an expert in psychological matters, but it does sound like you are developing a vicious cycle that is reinforcing the very distressing symptoms.

I understand that the Dutch do not provide free medical care to visitors, but does your status as a student give you any access to some form of student health care (clueless here...)

Last edited by Sskar; 02-28-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #4  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, first, I'm not a doctor or an expert in this by any stretch, but I have had what seemed to be "panic" attacks a couple times and they turned out to be from allergies. A couple things to check-you mentioned spicy foods and peppers in meals where you had panic attacks. Are those items you have eaten often when these attacks happen? A friend of mine has a son who absolutely cannot eat peppers due to allergies to them. When I have had allergic reactions to beestings and medications, my adrenaline kicks into production and I start shaking, my blood pressure goes way up and I feel like fainting and vomiting-any of that sound familiar?

I'm just wondering if trying to eliminate anything with the spicy items or peppers or anything else that might be common to the meals where you've had attacks would be something worth trying. Otherwise, please do as suggested above and try to see someone about the issue. You'll be in my prayers.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #5  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

First of all thank you guys so much for your kind words! Ronni - yes, I have ALL of those reactions. After paying close attention I have noticed my tension increases AS I take a bite. It very well could be a combination of anxiety and sensitivity to food. I will try to find a doctor to see me, but in the meantime, will avoid those foods and try to pinpoint what makes me feel so miserable. Thanks again!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote