3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles

Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ November

Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #61
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hello and good afternoon

The weather has been dry for us today though very windy. Parts of the UK are not faring very well at time with floods and destroying hundred year old bridges in its wake. I am so very fortunately that I live where I do.

I went for my oxygen treatment yesterday. There have been many new faces I am seeing over the past weeks. Not sure if all the people have MS or other health issues. It has found to be beneficial in reducing the symptoms caused by chemotherapy. So needless to say with this being in the national news there have been quite a few people whom have cancer. I know also that there are several sessions for children with either cerebral palsy or autism. Parents or guardians of the children have reported improvements in the children which is good. They maybe only small changes to other people though to parents etc they are great leaps forward.

I am going to do my weekly shopping tomorrow but have been planning the shopping list today to try and ensure that I do not forgot something. At present the list does not look very big which is a bonus as last weeks was the biggest we had had in a long while. Though for the first time in months I had bought a few portion of different types of meat.

ROSEBUD So glad that you have reported an improvement in the ulcer as I was wondering how that was getting on and praying that you had seen some signs of healing. Yes like you say healing is a slow process and patience is sure needed as it is no quick fix. I am sure in the long term the improvement in the diet and healthier life style which includes more exercise will reap its rewards on preventing further ulcers. If you do happen to be unfortunate and get an ulcer it healing process will be quick. I am a big believer that the body works so much better with wholesome foods inside it. Though I can't do wholesome foods 100% I am sure that my vast improvement on my diet gives my body the best chance of being healthy and able to fit off infections.

The trouble with living in a small village/town you have excess to limited supplies. I know what that was like growing up as I came from such a place and it wasn't until I moved away from home did I realise how limited things were. Maybe if for whatever reason you take a trip into one of the larger cities you could take a little bit of time to take a peek in the supermarket and see if you can purchase such items then store them in the freezer.

I did not know what H1N1 was so had to google it. Here it is just know colloquial name of just swine flu vaccine. My father also qualifies for it on two grounds one due to his health issues and secondly his age. I need to check whether my practice (doctor's) suggest that I have the vaccine. I would suspect they will as I have the annual flu vaccine. After I have had the flu vaccine I normally have a sore arm and occasionally feel "achy" but nothing really the symptoms are mild.

I hope you all having a lovely Wednesday. Take care all and catch you soon

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc : 11-25-2009 at 10:47 AM.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #62
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI PURPLE ~ thanks for that info about the H1N1 ... I didn't realize that they were the one and same virus. Some people call it the swine flu (esp in the US and the UK) but here in Canada, they are calling it the H1N1 flu virus. Here I have been praying about both of them and they are the same one ... Oh well, that's OK --double the prayers to bind and get rid of that thing; and the faster the better.

DH says he feels OK, just a bit tired but who knows if that has anything to do with it. He said he felt a bit hot today but then he already had some type of flu or cold before he got that shot anyways. I guess he will have to wait until he is better to get the regular flu shot; as someone said you shouldn't get it if you are already sick or have a fever.

Our neighbour says that he got all the shots but now he has come down with another flu and is really sick; poor man is really having trouble breathing. He already was having problems with breathing before he got this bug; so I am sending lots of prayers up for him as he is in his 70's and is in a very high risk group.

We got in some shopping today; I just didn't want to sit around the house all day. We only needed a few things, but it was fun to get out and this allowed me to get in some extra walking today too. I picked up a few more decos for my tree; each year I like to add a couple of new ones. We needed new stockings and I got some really nice red & green plaid quilted ones and even got one for our dear NIKO as well.

We had steak & mushroom medley for dinner tonight and it was really nice. We ate kinda late as we were late having our lunch as we didn't get back til after 2 pm. I tried to get in here several times today but had a lot of trouble; I wasn't able to get in here until now. I hope they can get all the wrinkles ironed out with the server as they have been having a lot of problems lately. Just glad to be able to come by and chat with our friends.

They are calling for some ***** overnight; but they said that last night and it didn't come, so we'll see. Take good care and have a great day tomorrow ... ROSEBUD
ONE-STEP-AT-A-TIME PHIL 4:13 " I CAN "
YA GOTTA HAVE FAITH KEEP ON, KEEPIN' ON
= 10 lbs ...
115 lbs + 16 Single Sizes Gone Forever! -- 100 lb tumor = ONEDERLAND!
Progress Pics: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/look...ml#post4361876
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #63
Rosebud

HELLO, my friends ~ I managed to find a window of opportunity to get in here and post tonight; I know that many others are trying to get in and are having difficulties. I saw a techie post that says that this site may have been hit by some kind of virus (aka cyber attack). We are praying that they will be able to solve the problems soon, and get this site back up and running smoothly like it was before.

Unfortunately our car is on the fritz again too (meaning broken down again); same thing as before. DH went to hook up our trailer and it seems that a fuse blew; but the real mystery is trying to find which one it is (for there are so many of them). He spent all afternoon on it; and will be at it again tomorrow. So I cancelled my dentist appointment until January; but it was only for a couple of small fillings so that isn't any problem. My mouth is finally starting to heal up nicely at this point; and it isn't sore anywhere anymore and is rounding out well too.

This AM, DH was able to run a couple of small errands before the car went on the bummer, but I just stayed home to rest my poor tired legs and feet after a busy, busy day yesterday. It was fun looking around the stores at all the stuff though; I like browsing and didn't really buy much as we already have so much now. We are indeed blessed; and I am so grateful for that.

I hope our US friends are all having a wonderful THANKSGIVING DAY!!! Take good care, and I hope that you will be able to drop by and visit again very soon ... ROSEBUD
= 10 lbs ...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #64
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

:hugs: thank you for your thoughts ladies It has been a long month... and it's gone by fast in other ways.

I have a follow up appointment with my family doctor tomorrow - I'm going to ask for a higher dose of celexa. I continue to run as regularly as possible.. and need a lot more sleep then usual. winter has most definitly set in

I can't be perfect but I CAN persevere

valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #65
MSer living healthy

Hello and good morning fellow chicks

HAPPY BELATED THANKSGIVING to all our American friends.

It is a bitterly cold morning but we must expect it with being November shortly leading into December. Friends of ours are going away for a week starting Saturday they are going to a place called centre parcs http://www.centerparcs.co.uk/village.../map/index.jsp they are going to the one in Sherwood forest so not much travelling for them. They are going with the rest of the family whom are now grown up and have children of their own. (in total 1 grandson and 2 granddaughters). It is somewhere I haven't been too but both of my cousins have taken holidays there.

I didn't make an appearance yesterday as I was shopping in the morning which then made me tired. So rested in the afternoon so I was more refreshed to play cards that evening. I won some apple pies which are way too off the diet plan so will be taking them to the MS centre for others to enjoy who are OK with what they eat. Unlike us who have to watch very carefully otherwise we put 2lbs by just looking at something naughty

VAL Nice to hear from you after your months trip away. Gosh time sure does go quick does not seem that length of time that you have been away.

Hope your appointment with the doctors today goes well and you get your increased dose of celexa. Sorry to hear that you are sleeping more unfortunately it is chicken and the egg theory is it SAD or is it MS so hard to gauge I would imagine.

Glad your managing to keep up with the running regime that you started and hope your starting to see improvements in your stamina whilst running. Like you can run a wee bit further or for longer without having to take a break. Good for you for running If my mobility was not that now of a drunken sailor I would love to took up running it seems a natural progression to the walking I so loved to do. Way back in the days I walked 3 miles a day every day.

ROSEBUD The fact that in Canada they call it H1N1 is nothing new in the pandemic of 1919 of flu the rest of the world was calling it Spanish flu. Not that it started there but they wanted someone to blame and Spain seemed a far away country way back then when travelling was limited. Though the Spanish called it the French flu. I think to be honest H1N1 is the more medical term for the flu outbreak that we are having so Canada is technically more correct than the UK when it comes to naming the flu.

No as far as I am aware and my knowledge from my nursing days when I used to give the flu vaccine to my patients. They should be fit and well ( well as much as your medical condition will allow if that makes sense) Though that is not to mean that the thought on that has change and it is now considered OK. Things that were religiously done or teaching in the mid 80's are now not done or things have superseded it. This is as medical research advances knowledge changes with that. Some of the things in my opinion have changed for the worse though. Not the knowledge as I expect that to evolve but the discipline which was almost regimented but it made you look professional. In many ways the beginning of your training was like the boot camp of the military they beast you for X number of weeks to mould you to there ways. After you have been on the wrong end of the tongue a couple of times you soon do things correctly all the time. You never knew either when matron would come round inspecting either. They got rid of matrons though in recent years (last couple I would imagine) they have brought them back as they realise what an important role they actually play.

Sorry to hear that your neighbour has breathing difficulties and like you say 70's is a higher risk group. I pray that he makes a full recovering from this like you. It is always a worry when people become sick who we know or love.

Talking of what you had for lunch a couple of days ago reminded me of what we are having today. we are having pork in stuffing with vegetables. Then I have made a yoghurt jelly for dessert. yoghurt jelly (jello is easy to make all you do is dissolve your jelly as per normal put let it cool so that that it is OK to take yoghurt without curdling it. Add a 200g yoghurt of either the same flavour as the yoghurt or natural yoghurt. I choose a yoghurt that is low fat or zero to add. Now stir in until both combined together. Now looks a bit like a milk shake at this point. you can either leave at this point popping it first into suitable dish. Or mix it with a mixer to froth up the mixture to make it all light and fluffy. The first method will give you something like blancmange the second like moose. So take your pick what you fancy) Very easy to make and low in calories if you use like I do the sugar free jelly (jello)

Sorry to hear that your car is off the road again as it has blown a fuse. I know you have been sabotaging it Rosebud so you don't have to visit the dentist You can always guarantee these things happen when you have appointments or visits to make. I really hope that you get your car back on the road again soon and cheaply at that.

Time for me to get cracking and go and peel some potatoes for dinner then put the meat on. Then the rest of the vegetables are prepared as I cracked on with them late last night. Had one of those rotten nights sleep you get once in a while. I dropped of to sleep swiftly but after that oh boy woke up at 4am with a tickle in my throat and by the time I had finished coughing I was wide away. Like normal you can sleep when it is time to get up. So will have to remedy this lack of sleep with an early night.

Bye for now take care all

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc : 12-01-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #66
Rosebud

We awoke to 4 inches of nice big fluffy snow ***** and it continued to fall on and off all day; so far, it's still here but the roads did melt though. The trees look so pretty and the branches are hanging heavy but the birdies are lovin' that as a good place to play; and we had more than usual come by for something to eat today.

PURPLE ~ Well, the car is moving again: it was the gear fuse like we thought, but we will have to pay for a house call as DH couldn't see well enuff to find the fuse. Now the brakes
lights don't work so that is likely another fuse so I will help him tomorrow becuz I can see better than him; oh -- the joys of aging ...

Yeppers, I was really upset that I had to cancel that dentist appointment; I thought ... gee, that was great timing. Hehe ... Well, I had asked them to stretch out those appointments but seemed like they didn't here that as they book them together on the same day. Thanks for the recipe ideas -- they sound nice. You make your chicken casserole often, so that must be a favorite; what do you put in besides chicken and veggies?

I have just been resting and relaxing at home today, doing our usual daily chores and meals. Had a fun dinner tonight but still stayed within my daily allotment. I have been reading a book about Angel encounters the last few nights; very interesting book. Before that I read a book called Christmas Shoes: it was very good, but also very sad.

I am trying to read seasonal stories right now, but am looking for ones a bit more cheery. Hope you all have a restful and relaxing weekend ... ROSEBUD
= 10 lbs ...
Old 11-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #67
Rosebud

OH, HIYA VAL ~ it is so nice to see you drop by again; I am glad that you are feeling a bit better and hope that you get the meds you need from your doctor. I am sure it is a delicate balancing act between feeling well and trying to work.

As I stated in my earlier post, we got lots of snow today; and it looks so nice. I am glad as Christmas doesn't seem the same without snow, but we had such a nice November, that now our winter will be only 6 months or less this year; and that is welcome after the long one we had last year.

Hope you continue to feel better each and every day; am keeping you in my prayers and hope you can come by and see us more often. Take good care of yourself too ... Rosebud
= 10 lbs ...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #68
MSer living healthy

Good afternoon fellow chicks

It started of very dull and dreary this morning with a threat of rain in the air but it did not materialise unlike last night when the heavens opened. This afternoon the skies promise something better as there are bluer patches with a few fluffy white clouds.

Last night when out for a little walk to get my exercise in was hoping to see some foxes but my hopes were dashed not one in sight. Have been out on my scooter again accompany DH and Rizzie on a 2.5 mile stretch. It was so lovely I have not been able to do this walk in simply years as my legs gave up on me and don't plan game We took a route that encounter what was a house that had been badly fire damaged. We noticed one day in passing in the car that it had been flattened to the ground. So we took the route that passed this they are now building on this plot not sure yet whether it will be a house or a bungalow. There are several bungalows down that road as they are on easy bus route into the city plus have a few shops within walking distance for those bits and pieces you sometimes run out of.

I have managed now to be on plan for 3 days and today is my fourth. This is good at the minute after my past record of the last few month. I was not able to string many days in a row without being naughty So proud that I have got this far. Been eating lots of vegetables and fruit in the diet as well so I am doing what they recommend 5 a day. Not to mention doing a little walking as well. If I can't go out for a walk that day as they weather might be too cold then I try to notch some up in the house. I do this by say when laying the table make several trips instead of maybe one. The same with clearing and so forth. It might not be loads but I figure it all adds up by the end of the day if I carry on all day doing that. I am fearful of going back to my old ways I so do not want to put back the weight. I am sure the longer I go the less afraid I will be I have manage to maintain my weight within a 5lb range I have for myself. With myself teetering at the top of my range for many weeks I knew I had to be careful else I would be going over if I did not tighten the reins and get myself back on track more.

I am feeling the effects of my treatment wearing off today so feel somewhat tired so wanting Tuesday to come along very swiftly. I picked up a new book whilst I was shopping it is by Jennifer Worth who was trained as a midwife by nuns in London working in some of the most deprived areas many of them slums. The first book each chapter dealt with different births she had attended even though it did have a few medical terms in there was a little mini dictionary at the back to fill you in with layman terms what they meant. She kept them to a minimum so you were not constantly flicking to the dictionary to discover what it all was referring to. I passed it on too my Mum not sure whether she would gain the same enjoyment in it as I did. I have the medical background as you all know so I like things like this. Mum read it and thoroughly enjoyed it and did not find it to medical at all. It was good for me as it was referring to a training that no longer exists. Nuns were often involved in the profession of nursing in some capacity. Here in Nottingham we used to have a convent hospital which was run as you would expect by nuns. I would expect though as not so many women go to devote their life to God and become a nun it could no longer staff itself

I digress as normal the new book is about the workhouse which was the dreaded poor house. I took a sneak preview and read the first chapter as the temptation was too much It promises by the first chapter to be excellent gain and has the same feel as the first. So now I am trying to read the book that I am reading at present so I can go on to this. I feel it is a bit like the carrot and the stick method Mind you I have a little way to do I still have over a hundred pages to read but getting there. Was hoping to read a little last night but only managed a few pages before I was dropping off to sleep so time to but the book aside I thought.

ROSEBUD
I see you are having snow in earnest but at least your roads are clear so if you need to you can go out and about. If we had 4 inches of snow we would be at a standstill the UK as we are just not geared up for such snowfalls. I bet it is good to see the birds playing in the snow and coming to your feeding station. I sure know they must be thankful to people like yourself who feed the feathered friends as they would not survive. Do you have any squirrels where you live ? I know they are hibernating with your extreme weather conditions. I wondered when they are up and about do they "steal" the bird food. Here they are renowned for that and find ingenious ways of getting the seed. Often doing daring feats to get at the loot they are wonderful to watch. Talking of squirrels I saw a grey squirrel two days ago when out on my scooter. They are not native squirrels to the UK it is the red squirrel but I have not seen them in years. They are in living in the same habitat and competing for the same food. There are other factors like reduction of habitat, disease, road traffic, pine martins (plus other predators) and urban living squirrels the domestic cat. Here endth the lesson in red squirrels

Yes age is a bit factor in the decline of eye sight although my DH who is older than me as much better eyesight than I. He only need glasses when he reads mind you getting him to wear them is a nightmare I on the other hand is getting as blind as a bat without them. I wear my glasses all the time as I need for both near and far. I am ready for a new pair but I hope to get Christmas out the way and save up for them. They do no come cheap at around 300 per pair why they have to be so costly it is a mystery to me. Hearing can also go with age as well which my Dad suffers from badly but will he admit to it no way. He blames everyone else for muttering or speaking to softly. I really do wish he would go to the doctors and get the ball rolling. I am sure an hearing aid would open up a whole new world to him and he will realise what he had been missing. His deafness stems from working in a noisy environment and not wearing the ear plugs proved. Not seeing the danger down the line of loud noise. He worked in an ordinance survey factory making munitions not sure what though as he took the official secrets act. This meant he was not allow to discuss what he was making etc so hence I know very little about that part of his working life.
  • *brown chicken/ turkey
    *sweat onions
    *add one tin of tomatoes I chop up if not already so
    *add vegetable (any root ones in season)
    *optional add potatoes
    *optional add bay leaves (4 for a very large casserole otherwise 2)
    *add either beans like butter , harricot or lentils
    *add herbs of your choice thyme is good with poultry, but mixed herbs works well
    *add gravy I cheat add gravy granules made up with water
    *now cook slowly in the oven so meat and vegetables are all soft.
    *viola serve with more vegetables

So really overall the calorie intake is not too bad for this meal as lots of vegetables and pulses with not a big portion of meat. Though everything tastes very yummy as it has all taken on flavours during the cooking process. I find then there is gravy left over which is good for meals which do not have gravy such as bangers and mash or pork loin chops for instances. I hope I was able to explain the recipe well enough to understand. I make other meats such as beef casserole in much the same way but choose a different herb. If I use pork instead of chicken I will peel and core apples, then slice then and add to the casserole. They melt away the apples into the gravy but it gives a lovely flavour. I would add about 2 apples to the casserole by the way. A vegetable casserole maybe made in much the same way as above just omit the meat and use a vegetable gravy (maybe onion gravy if you can get hold of it) Except with a vegetable casserole add more lentils or beans as they are your form of protein which as we knows is the part of the meal which keeps you fuller for longer. like you say it is a firm favourite of ours my DH is a big casserole fan. If you are cooking it for a special occasion one tip I can give add some dry white wine to chicken casserole one very large glass for a big casserole for a smaller reduce that to small glass. If using beef and you want to make it special for a dinner party or such like add a small bottle of beer

Just been making some individual jellies (jello) with some fruit in the bottom. I have saved some 200g yoghurt pots and I make them in that. I have made four of them and two will be taken to the MS centre for our lunch. I made a yoghurt jelly the other day which lasted us two days only 59 calories per person so not breaking the bank on calories. I had a higher calorie yoghurt I was using else it would have been a bit lower as it normally is. It normally pans in around 40 odd calories per person. Has you know jelly is very versatile and for me it is a low calorie pudding to give DH but sneak the fruit in there. He will eat it as he see that as a pudding today I gave him a very small portion of low fat ice cream so he was in seventh heaven as he loves ice cream to say the least.

Well it is time to go and start sorting tea out wow where did the time go. You do not realise when you are busy typing away how the time just whizzes by without you noticing. It is now pitch black outside so much go and draw the curtains to make the room nice and cosy. tara for now and take care all

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc : 11-29-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #69
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ had a nice restful Sunday at home, keeping warm inside; had a bit of ***** on and off, but not too much. Did a bit of reading and answering mail and such just for fun; I finished off the book about Angels yesterday. Now I am reading a nice story called "The Christmas Promise" by Thomas Kinkade: and it seems to be the positive Christmas story I was looking for, and I am enjoying it thoroughly so far ....

HI PURPLE ~ thanks for sharing your chicken casserole recipe; it sounds a lot like a version of Chicken Cattiatore, but with a few variations. Here, I would maybe add in some carrots, kniblets corn, mushrooms, and green beans. I am definitely going to try that one for DH. Tonight we had Shepherd's Pie along with some roasted veggies.

I put them in 30 minutes earlier: sliced carrots and parsnips, plus broccoli and cauliflower on top and they were very nice. I really like the added flavor of the parsnips; I had forgotten what they taste like: they have a kind of spicy flavor to them, almost like ginger; and my mind started thinking of ways I could put them in soups and stews, etc.

I recall that they were a favorite of my great uncle and he often suggested to me that I try them; and my Dad really likes to put them in soups & stews too. I found some on sale last week, so I wanted to try them out, and I am glad that I did; now I have another root veggie to add to my favorite dishes, and I bet they would taste fantastic in that chicken casserole.

Congrats on staying on plan for so many days in a row; I have been doing very well also, but it seems that 1 day a week, I seem to digress a bit, but I am trying very hard to limit that now. I hope in time that I can actually find ways to have a treat yet also stay within my alotted calories for the day. So far I am doing pretty good; and I am even trying to have protein more often for snacks as well, so if I go over the damage will be minimal.

I am also trying to work in some fun foods like hamburgers and fries into our week (once a week) but still stay within my calorie limit for that day. I am doing this by shaving calories off my breakfast & lunch and my snacks, and so far, it is working out OK. I am allowing myself 200 more calories for Friday to Sunday, so that helps; but have 200 less on Monday to Thursday.

On those days, I have more for BF and lunch; and a lighter dinner so I won't have too many cravings. It is a balancing act and it does take time to figure out what will work and what won't. I just know that I have to find ways that will help me stick to this for the long term; so far, it is helping. I know that if I don't, then I might slip back into old habits; this way I am working around those old habits, by changing them into new ones.

For instance, this Christmas, I am getting myself dark chocolate and nuts for my stocking; that way, I can still have a treat (in moderation) and still stick to my plan. I think we will save some money this way too. I am waiting to get DH's stuff and then putting it in a hamper to go away; it's Ok becuz I am getting him stuff I am not fond of anyways.

I already have my meat pies for this year; but that will be our special Christmas Eve dinner with roasted veggies and for New Year's Eve as well. I have things all planned ahead; they say this planning will help me stay on my plan better, and I think that is true.

When and if our guests do come, I will again have healthier treats this year and am going to wait until I know exactly when they are coming. My friend says that she really appreciates that we are doing things this way now. When they come over for coffee, we purposely choose something that is light and not too sugary now.

Yes, we do have squirrels and chipmunks where we live, but we haven't seen any this year; the chipmunk came to our feeder last winter. Maybe he/she will show up again this winter, if they get low on food. The squirrels hybernate during the wintertime here. I hear other people say they have a problem with them, but we never have; maybe becuz we have more than one feeder. We have one big one, and a small one hanging in the tree, and several tree bells over the winter. I think that he is able to get enuff food on the ground from under the tree (from what drops there) that he doesn't really bother the birds too much; he doesn't act like the greedy type either (our chipmunk, I mean).

Our flock of ROCK DOVES has grown to about 25 over the last while; I don't know if they will stay all winter or not. They come by several times over the day, with a few that stick around quite regular and stare into our kitchen window: it is fun to watch them watch us though ... They are so friendly that they aren't afraid of DH or our NIKO either (DH thinks they know that he is tied up and can't reach them).

Anyways, this is turning into a novel; it's time for me to go make my evening tea and put my legs up. Do take good care ladies, and I hope you have a marvellous Monday tomorrow ... ROSEBUD
= 10 lbs ...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #70
MSer living healthy

Hello everyone

This morning was glorious weather wise with wonderful blue skies. Although now the skies are darkening fast and I think we are in for a horrid downpour of rain. It rained quite heavily last night and part way through the night as this morning there was big puddle about.

I went out for my longest ride yesterday on my scooter I did 3 miles. It took us about 45 minutes I think to get round the route. We saw a gentleman putting the finishing touches to his Christmas lights on the house. He is one who highly decorates his house, garden and garage with lights and other Christmastime things such as Santa Claus. The weather was dry but a good nip in the air.

ROSEBUD Like you I love the taste of parsnip especially roasted. Although I do steam it more these days now I am on the healthy eating. I add it into casseroles and soups too this gives another dimension to the flavour. Talking of food I was watching a programme with a cook called Nigel Slatter. He seems to make simple dishes that are good for all the family. One the one show he shows you a weeks worth of main meals. One thing I think I might have a go at is something he called carrot and coriander fritters. I will have to double check the recipe before I have a bash but I know there was grated carrot, coriander and egg. There was not much else either as I recall as all his dishes have very few ingredients. The last thing he made was a chowder ( spelling) or fancy name for a soup. I thought of you immediately as it had smoked haddock. He was concious that it was expensive so he made a little go a long way by poaching it in milk then breaking it up into bite size pieces. The milk was used to add to cooked leeks, potatoes and sweetcorn. This was seasoned with salt and pepper to taste and that was you meal. He served it with a small piece of crusty bread. So you see what a mean that he uses very few things to knock up a tasty meal. In the middle of the programme he goes to someone's allotment a different person each week. Whilst he is there he cooks something from the produce from the garden. This one was vegetables, streaky bacon and water cook till all soft , season to taste and here was simple soup using what was in season.

Well done for staying on plan today is my 5th day on plan. I can't remember stringing this many together for a very long time. I am sure that it will pay dividend and tomorrow I always am on plan as it is my MS day so I have a meal already cooked to turn to. We are having a small portion tomorrow of corn beef hash. I have only used a small portion of corn beef and it is mainly flavoured with onions which I sweated off to soften. I have served it with a big plate of vegetable to fill up on. I think we will have either a baked apple or stewed apple for dessert. Like you I shave off calories from other meals to have a more calorie laden meal that way you stay on plan. Like you say it is nice to have fries or burgers once in a while.At times it is a balancing act knowing what works for you and what does. What makes you feel full and what leaves you hungry an hour or so after you have ate it.

I have had a sore throat for the past few days but last night woke in the night with the pain from it. Sucked on a lozenge which helped some to easing the pain. Took a look this morning at the throat, I have white spots at the back of the throat but not on the tonsils itself. So I have some infection going on in my throat and I was hoping that my body can fight it off. Otherwise a trip to the doctors to see if they think I need antibiotics which I do not like to take unless I am forced.

We do not have any chipmunks in the wild here as they are not native to our country. I am not sure if we have many species that are not seen in Canada but you have much more diversity of wild life I think. Last night was the last programme in a series following the explorers from the UK whom realise to be able to travel through Canada at that period in time you had to learn the skills from the first nations. So it has been interesting learning a variety skills from different tribes along the way. Last night they were on the West coast of Canada in the territory known at British Colombia.

No further news for today so bye for now and take care

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc : 11-30-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #71
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had a wee bit of light ***** fall today; not too much but it was very pretty and the sun actually tried to come out and shine for a few minutes this AM. The snow is sticking around so I am glad we'll have it for Christmas too.

PURPLE ~ sorry to hear that you have such a sore throat; sure hope that isn't an infection, but will send up some prayers for you that it will heal and/or that the doctor will be able to help you in some way, if needs be. Maybe you are getting your DH's flu bug; hope you both are feeling better real soon.

I like easy recipes that have only a few ingredients; these days, I like to make things that aren't too complicated or that don't take a lot of prep time. Those recipes by Nigel Slatter do sound interesting.

You sound like you are having a ball zooming around on your ... I am so glad for you that you get to go touring around like that. Every Christmas, DH and I drive around in evening and look at all the different lights and decos; this year, we might take some hot chocolate with us in our new thermos too.

We had a busy day shopping today; walked my feet off and had to put them up to rest when we got home -- as they were throbbing. We had a nice early dinner of spit BBQ chicken with a few tators and coleslaw (but don't worry, stayed within my daily alottment) and that was nice. Had a good on plan day ...

Tomorrow, we will just stay home and do odd jobs around here. This week, I hope to do my light housechores and laundry, catch up on mending; get all my Christmas cards and gifts done and sent out; write some letters; put up indoor wall decos; and put up our big red bows on the front deck (we almost forgot them).

Hope you all have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY tomorrow -- and do take good care too ... ROSEBUD
= 10 lbs ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy : 11-30-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #72
MSer living healthy

*** STOP NEW THREAD STARTED FOR THE NEW MONTH NO FURTHER POSTS PLEASE ***
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.