Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 85 kg

Height: 1.74 m

Default Ibs-d

Hi!
I am long time sufferer of IBS-D (have it for about 3 yrs by now) and i really have to lose weight.. I was wondering if there are more people on this forum who suffer from this. I started my diet blog on this site where i'm trying to cope with IBS-D and lose weight so I hope that there will be people with the same issues willing to exchange meal ideas and general ideas how to live with IBS-D and still be able to lose weight. :-)

Greetings!
smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #2  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Question I used to have IBS-D, now IBS-C

I don't know what happened to change it, except for the amount of food I was eating compared to now. My fiber is good, I take small bites and chew thoroughly, I don't drink liquids with my foods, and I take probiotics and I exercise daily.
IDK, just sux to keep having to go through IBS at all.
I wish I could tell you more, but I am struggling to find an answer as well. I know I am eating and exercising right, just something is not working for me. Leaky gut is a possibility, but has not been confirmed by doc. Have you been tested for Leaky Gut?
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #3  

I actually struggle with it for a while, sometimes i'm very successful in controlling my symptoms (but only when i use supplements like peppermint oil capsules, probiotics, being extra careful what i eat, how much and how often). So i was actually ibs free for 3 months until this week but i totally realxed about eating, i had fat food, fizzy drinks and i was binging a lot... So IBS-D is back... I'll start again with my probiotics and peppermint next week and see if it stabilizes a bit.
But what is leaky gut? I've never heard of it, now you made me curious.. I had tests for food intolerances and i'm not coeliac, but i have lactose intolerance.
I hope you'll feel better and beat IBS! :-) I'm sure it's possible and i believe we all who suffer from it can beat it with certain changes in lifestyle and diet! :-)
Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #4  
Believe!

Default Just for a quick reference:

I'm not allowed to post links yet, but here is a short, concise answer to "what is Leaky Gut" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_gut_syndrome . I hope this helps. It is what I suspect I have going on, and am doing my best to avoid certain foods. I haven't tried the gluten free stuff yet, hoping I don't have to resort to that, as I am already avoiding so many other things due to high cholesterol and triglycerides and having hypothyroidism. Just I would like to get regular and stay regular. I am going to go to a higher concentration of probiotics and see if that doesn't help.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #5  

Oh yes, thanks, i now saw what is it. To me it seems like it should be visible with colonoscopy, although i could be wrong since i'm not really expert in medicine. :-) i had one and my gastroentorologist said that everything looks fine and then he diagnosed me with IBS-D.
Probiotics are good, but be careful how much you use of any of those supplements, maybe you should advise first doctor or nutritionist, somebody who is medical expert before you decide to increase dose of any supplements.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #6  
Believe!

Smile Ya, My doc recommended it.

However, a Leaky Gut test is completely different than what you have already done. I'm going back to doc this afternoon. I will find out. In the meantime, I just keep track of all that goes in my mouth and keep track of monounsaturated fats like olive oil, etc... and I keep track of water intake and exercise.
Yeah, the pharmacist really is a big help too. She is very knowledgeable about probiotics and digestive enzymes.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #7  

I also have to pay now more attention of what i eat, i was doing so well for 3 months and then spoiled everything with binging.
Good luck at the doctor and i hope you'll succeed in keeping the symptoms under control! :-)
Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #8  
Believe!

Smile Went to doc today:

Even though I had to use dulcolax, she does believe that the probiotics I am using is enough for right now...If it doesn't straighten out within the month then I go for a higher concentration. Leaky gut seems to have been what was causing some of the trouble, but seems to be getting better since no mucus now. Gross I know, but at least getting better since more on the "c" side instead of the "d". Whoo hoo@
Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #9  

I hope you're doing well! :-) I started weight watchers diet, so let's see how my symptoms are gonna be. :-)
Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I USED to have IBS-D before I started on my current eating plan. The trick for me is to keep control on the amount of fat I eat. Too much and there is consequences. However I've also found that too little will result in constipation so its quite a balancing act to get it right.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #11  

Oh yes, I know exactly that problem.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #12  
One day at a time!

I have battled IBS for years also (Mom did,too). I have never found any rhyme or reason to the episodes although until I really started eating healthy the beginning of july I hadn't had much problem with constipation. Now, however, it has become the bane of my life!! Tonight I am splurging some of my calories on a food I know triggers relief and will consider it well worgth it!! It stinks to have to even THINK about this!!
LunchLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #13  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Every time I get an episode of IBS hubby wants to know what I have eaten, I can never pin point the food, since at one time or another I have cut out so many different foods.
I know one thing that happens before an episode is STRESS, big or small stress it doesn't matter, so now I try to stay as calm as I can all time and not let life stress me out.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote