Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 220/Tracker/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi
I had mine out in January. It seems the only thing I can eat is stuff like breads, pasta, and some veggies anything else and the dumping syndrome starts up. Some days I may as well just take my meals in the bath room as awful as that sounds. I feel hungry almost to the point of it being painful all of the time, and I have gained 15 pounds since the surgery. Anyone else have this problem? or any ideas how to get it under control?
CoraLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 192/192/135

Height: 5'4

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have a couple questions.
My surgeon told me to return to regular activity ASAP. I told him I was moving from TX to MI and he said go ahead.
About 5 days later I pulled something one night fixing/fluffing my pillow (where the top incision is near the ribs). It felt like being stabbed by a hot poker. Driving 1200 miles was tough. The pain is getting better (in the past 2 weeks) but a hard spot is still there. I assume this is kind of normal?
surrealchereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #18  

Hiya, i had mine removed 2 years ago and was out of hospital the day after i had it removed ... my GP told me not to over do anything, i was off work for a month after key hole ( i was a school cook ) and during that time i tried doing light housework as i felt fine. I managed to cause all kinds of pain and my GP told me off and reminded me i had an organ removed and just because i had a couple of little scars it didn't mean it was a minor procedure. People who have had this surgery should REST to a minimum of 3 weeks!
Raspberry74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #19  

S/C/G: Ideal weight is 143-163

Height: 5'7

I had mine removed last year and I went in through the ER because apparently my gallbladder caught and infection and it passed it to my pancreas. Well, they took my gallbladder out and b/c of the pancreas I was in the hospital for 4 days, but my recovery was quick and not very painfull.

Last edited by MakeUpIsFabulous; 03-30-2011 at 09:03 PM.
MakeUpIsFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #20  
on a journey

I had mine done last Thursday too, and I'm still having quite a bit of pain on the right hand side. I think it's just going to take time for things to get healed up in there is all.

Good luck in your recovery.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 192/192/135

Height: 5'4

Well I think everything is healed. I feel a lot better except for a new thing... lol
About once a week or so I get excruciating pain where the gallbladder pain used to be -center near my ribs. It has at times been worse than the pain before the surgery. There's no common preceding event. Eating, not eating, once it happened after drinking water. I'm not sure. But I don't have insurance anymore and my old doctor is 1800 miles away now because I moved.
surrealchereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #22  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Wow, mine was removed 16 yrs ago, I was 19. Can I just ask, does ANYONE still have their gallbladder??? Seems to be a very large number of people having to undergo this surgery.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 205/201/135

Height: 5'3" and shrinking!

Default re: dumping

A bit OT I suppose, the the original post has been answered several times already.

I've noticed after i've had mine out, "dumping syndrome" is worse if I don't eat small things regularly.

Here's how I figured out this out: I was sick every Saturday, sometimes Sunday. I soon figured out my routine: I sleep in (so I don't eat breakfast at my normal time). When I get up, I often play around on the Internet or something for a while. I get really hungry, and then I finally eat something. Inevitably, I'm sick 20-30 minutes afterwards. I really don't feel well when this happens, but 5-10 minutes after going to the washroom, I'm ok again.

Keep in mind without your gallbladder, there's nothing to control the extra spurt of bile needed to digest food when you eat. It also means bile is being poured into your empty stomach, too.

Keep more consistent hours and eat small things regularly, and you'll feel better. It's advice that good workout material (i.e. Oxygen) and dieticians advocate anyway.
uniquegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I went to see the doctor today due to my third attack of nasty abdominal pain, and he thinks it may be gallstones and is referring me for an ultrasound. On reading up a bit about gallstones, I am feeling thoroughly intimidated. I've been vegan and on a healthy diet (just a bit too much of it) for 14 years, d*mn it, plus I'm already severely disabled from CFIDS/ME and don't need anything else complicating my life. Any advice?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #25  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default gall stone surgery

I had the surgery,and thought it was a piece of cake..really. Just rest the next day or two,and have some tylanol at hand if you need it,take care of yourself...
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #26  

Cool After Surgery

I just had my gall bladder taken out. Unfortunately I am on vacation in Switzerland. So, a hospital and doctors I didn't know did the emergency operation. Apparently I had stones and inflammation that I knew nothing about until one big banger of an attack hit me. The doctors and nurses at the hospital spoke some English, but not well enough to explain everything to me so I would know what to expect. So I've been reading after the fact. The doctors and nurses of this hospital BTW were very good and tried to communicate with me as best they could. My German is bad, but I was trying while not in pain to talk with them likewise. We got around the language barrier.This was waves and waves of pain along with stabbing pain non-stop. If people go through this type of pain for years and don't have something done to their gall bladder that's crazy. The one thing that I really have a question on is are you supposed to get the hiccups so much after this surgery? I get them often now and never had before this surgery. I'm hoping this is a temporary situation after the surgery because of whatever they use to expand the abdominal cavity,
GypsyMoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

By now the problem has hopefully subsided, but all I know is that my stepdad got nasty hiccups when he was in hospital after having a knee replacement. Maybe it can be set off by some of the pain meds? How are you doing now? Emergency surgery in a foreign country must be no fun at all.

I had my ultrasound yesterday, and yep, one little gall bladder full of stones. I haven't spoken to my GP yet, but I looked up NHS waiting lists for gall bladder removal and it looks like it'll be a good few months. Hopefully I'll be OK if I just keep my fat levels lowish for the meantime, and avoid having too much fat in any one meal.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote