Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #31  

Joanne, I'm doing First Place 4 Health. It's a Bible based weight loss program. You have a certain number of calories per day depending on age and activity level, you are allowed so many servings of the different food groups to get to your calorie level. I had been eating anywhere from 1300-1600, and I was either not losing or gaining little bits. I was getting very frustrated since I am exercising so much. I have upped my calories to 1700-2000 and I'm eating more lean protein. Seems to have kick-started things again. I honestly feel more energetic. The doctor and the gal at the Y had told me at the beginning not to drop too low because of the exercises that I was taking. Guess I should have listened! I just hope it continues to go in the right directiion.

Glad to hear you have a different doctor that is closer to you. Is Hwy 19 the road that I was on when I met you?
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:43 AM   #32  

Well -hope this post doesn't go into cyberspace. I use a laptop so that's part of the problem.
I guess I didn't give Brad my cold butit has gone into my sinuses. I am getting my weeklyshot and then going to the chiropractor. He does something to my head that helps.
Sometimes we just have to slow down Kate. Hope you have the least amount of pain with this. Praying for you.
Finally going to the good supermarket. Nothing in the freezer except hot dogs. Brad will get us some ind wrapped Tyson chicken at BJ's.
very humid here. The house stays under 70 but I have to freeze.
Wew-that was close-post left but it came back.
Bye for now-glad you found a new doc, Joanne. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning everyone! Joanne and Tammy aere talking about the beach?? I also live just about a mile or so from the Intercoastal and I only go to the park area there once in a while to walk Queenie. It is way too hot here now so I haven't been there since spring. We can watch the manatees and dolphins right there swimming around. I'm not crazy about the water there though...it is very brown colored and yukky looking evn though I know it is clean...it just looks uninviting. The Atlantic Ocean is over a "causeway" bridge but very easy to get to. We live about 10 miles from the Sebastian Inlet Park....beautiful place with lots of surfing and fishing. I don't swim in the ocean here at all though....too many sharks for me! I'm a North Atlantic coast girl...not into sharks! Tammy, you will be right near the oean when you are at Disney Resort. That's about 2 miles from the causeway bridge coming over to my "highland" area. The Kirby Veterinary place I was telling you about for Maurice is a bit farther than I originally thought from the resort though...I just drove it the other day and the milage was more like 5-6 miles from Rt. 510 intersection. It is still probably the easiest to get to but not sure how they are as a kennel. I have never kenneled any of my dogs so I wouldn't know how to "rate" them. And the last time I was at Applebees, they had several Weight Watchers (points) meals on the menu that looked great.
Seeing the orthopedic today to set a date and get information about the surgery. definitely not looking forward to this...at all! I have already checked to see what my co-pays are and what is covered but i am going to let his office gather all this info and see if it matches mine....I don't want any hidden expenses with this. Wait until the doctor sees what my co-pay is for physical therapy....$45 per visit. That isn't happening...no way I'm paying that (3X a week for 12 weeks??).
Have lots of little appointments to get through this week....the satallite TV people, lawn treatment people and A/C maintenance people. Then I want to shamppo the rugs, wash all the windows and clean all the overhead fans. I've already bathed the dog, got the pool up to snuff with salt, acid and cleaning and washed/cleaned inside the car. And no, I haven't lost anymore weight!! I also haven't been sleeping too well. This shoulder takes forever to get comfortable with when I lie down so it is a lot of tossing and turning. Can't weight for things to get back to normal! (what ever that is!) Hope everyone enjoys their day...
Kate53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #34  

Mima, I know when I have been to the chiropractor that it has helped with sinus problems. When I get a massage, that helps too.

Kate, I'm with you about the sharks, although I've been swimming in the ocean down there many times. I was younger then, maybe I'm wiser now! I've been in touch with Dogkidz Daycare and the Vero Beach Canine Country Club. Trying to decide which one would be best. They are about the same price. I can go visit Maurice at one but not the other. Tim and I talked that no longer than I'll be there, I really don't need to visit.

At Applebees I had a grilled chicken spinach salad. Can't remember the name of it, but it was less than 300 calories according to 2 different places that I checked. It was pretty tasty!

Let us know what you find out from the doctor.

I'm going away with my friend in a couple hours, we'll be back sometime tomorrow. Her last fling before she goes back to school.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #35  

Good morning everyone. Well, after a 2 hour wait at the orthopedic's office I finally got to see the doctor. My MRI does show a tear that needs to be repaired along with a bone spur he will remove. I am scheduled for surgery Aug. 27th. Hubby had already put in for some vacation time the first week of Sept. so now he will add 4 days to it for the surgery date. That puts him home until the 8th of Sept. I'll be on my own after that. Hopefully this doctor can do all the repairs arthroscopically, without cutting the deltoid muscle like my other shoulder. That would help in the recovery time. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Tammy, I'll ask the girl who owns the pet specialty store I shop at about those kennels...she hears everything about all the "dog" places.
Need to get going here....have to clean today. Starting a "to do" list to get organized before the surgery as I will be out of commission for a few weeks. Bye for now!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #36  

Kate, I have your surgery marked on my calendar. Glad hubby is able to take time off to be with you. I would appreciate you finding out any info about those places! That would be great!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #37  

good morning-my post got frozen yesterday. mammogram today! I have been praying for you, Kate. I was alone the day after I came home-counted on friends. It was ok.Brad got a call that there was a leak in the installation at a beautiful home that he worked on. It had dripped through the ceiling onto the bed and mattress. We have liability insurance so they will have to pay-there might be a 250 deductible/ It wasn't totally Brad's fault because the pipes weren't glued together but I guess he should have checked it.
Finally. my sinus headache has been replaced with asthma.
You have a nice trip planned, Tammy.
Hopefully we do too. going to Prince Edward island in September.
Suzanne is having another ultrasound today. Hope they can hear the heartbeat.
Bye before I freeze up again. Mima
Old 08-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #38  

Good morning everyone...and thank you for your kind prayers...it is appreciated. Mima, I've learned not to count on friends and neighbors for things such as this. My husband complains that I do too much for other people and should consider what they have/have not done for me...however, I am just not that way. I have always been a giver in respect to food and a helping hand. My neighbors do know who to call when they are in need and I am sure I could rely on them should I have the need and asked but I prefer to "pay my own way". I do appreciate your thought and prayers though!!
Tammy, I am going to see my friend who owns the dog supply store this afternoon to pick up some supplies for her royal highness. I will be sure to ask her about those two places and ask for a recommendation for possible others. I'll either post here or a private message. Right now I am waiting (as usual, I am always waiting for someone/something lately!) for the Direct TV repairman to get here. We are having a problem with our HD receiver...I think the most recent t-storm blew it up or something! The company actually wanted to charge me a $49.95 service fee for coming out to look at it. I pay a monthly lease fee for the box ($5) and another fee for the HD service($10). Boy, did they get an earfull! Not about to pay for repairs on equipment I do not own thank-you-very-much! They decided they would do a courtesy service call because I have been a "loyal customer".....smart move for them, huh? Boy, I sure can get bit**y about certain things now....

Mima, sorry to hear about those headaches....now asthma? It soounds like it might be related to the sinuses...do you take allergy pills? That trip to PEI sounds wonderful...I used to live near some people from there on Cape Cod. A lot of Cape Codders have moved to Maine or Nova Scotia...they say it is because those places are more like the Cape used to be 50 years ago. I do miss my hometown every so often but from what I hear, it has changed so much I would hardly recognize it now. I haven't been back since I moved to Florida....maybe I will make some plans to visit there this fall if all goes well.
Hate this waiting around for repairmen....they gave me a 4 hour "window" but I have errands to run and I want to get a move on here. Hope he shows soon. I'll check back later....hope everyone enjoys the day. We have rain forecasted for this afternoon and through the weekend. Oh goody....more mosquitos!!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #39  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody..Still hot and humid here.
Been having a little problem with my sugar. Dr. made a change so hope that helps. If I could get my head together and lose more weight that might help.. I think I have been eating wrong again..
I need something to inspire me.. The daughter put up a humming bird feeder but so far no birds.
I hear thunder. I better get Christie out .. Back later. Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #40  

Mima, if it's not one thing, it's another, isn't it? Hope you feel better soon.

Kate, did the guy ever show up? I hate waiting around on people also.

Joanne, I have a hummingbird feeder beside my enclosed porch, and I've seen some, but not lately. I also have a goldfinch feeder that was very busy up until a few weeks ago. Not sure where they went.
I sent you a PM by the way.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #41  

Good morning. The lady that did my mammo was super-instead of crushing me, she used the hand pressure crank. What a difference. It's digital now. The wheezing is related to the sinuses because it drips into my chest-have advair and use it but not all the time.Supposed to go to lunch with campground ladies and then to camp . we are having a big potluck tomorrow night and I have a kielbasa bean, and casserole. My sil's recipe..
I have an appt with a consignment shop next week for 3 items. They are new in town-hope they succeed. She is going to look at my antique doll carriage , printer's box, and cashmere coat. there is money in this town so maybe.
They heard the baby's heartbeat yesterday! PTL
Be good everyone. Mima
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #42  

Good afternoon everyone....I guess I am late today. Had to do a fasting blood test this morning and will go for a chest xray Monday am. This is all clearance for the surgery. Yes, the Direct TV guy showed up at about 11 am. He fiddled with our remote for a minute and voila...the TV was fixed! Guess the power outtage we had last week (power was out for 6 hours!) screwed the receiver box up and it needed to be reset. You would think the tech support person I had on the phone for an hour could have figured that out without sending someone to the house! Geeze!
Tammy, spoke to my dog store friend yesterday afternoon. She indicated NOT to do the Dogkidz Daycare place. She spoke highly of Vero Beach Canine Countryclub and said the woman who owns that is very particular and pays attention to details....is a very good business person and has reputable people working for her. She indicated it was a nice place in general and knows the people personally. The other place is dirty and not so careful about details of boarding other peoples pets. I hope this was helpful and I will add that I trust her opinions whan it comes to this stuff. Good luck.
Not getting much done today. I do have to go to the produce stand to pick up some fresh veggies. It has been cloudy and yukky most of the morning and I think we are going to get some severe t-storms and rain this afternoon.
Mima, my last mammogram was digital too....much easier on the boobs, huh? Hope everyone enjoys the day. Need to get to the farm stand before we get the bad weather.....
Old 08-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #43  

I have always had good luck with mammograms. Never really have been hurt when I've gone. Guess I've lucked out because I've been getting them for many years. Enjoy the potluck! sounds like fun.

Kate, that tv problem sounds like one that we had once. Thank you so much for the information on the 2 places! I know the woman at the VBCCC, also has dachsunds, so that makes me even more comfortable with that one. Thanks to your friend also!

I met a friend from my Wed. night class for lunch. It was nice. Just gave us the chance to get to know one another a little better.

Hello to everyone else!
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #44  

One time I had my son take my new tv back because I thought it was boroken-turned out the cable was out and I didn't know it. Poor Bobby.he asked me for a guest list for the wedding-I could never imagine myself giving him a guest list-he is 34. Wow!!!What a weekend-our toipet plugged up again and I won't write the details but we ended up putting bleach in the storage area after the pipe went. It won't happen again because Brad is going to set it up so it won't happen again.Lunch with gf's today-we stopped celebrating bd's and now celebrate friendship.
But we have to go to a wake tonight-a neighbor whose wife has ms and I went to college with her. But he was 86,
My Sunday school kids did not show up yesterday after I brought cupcakes and drinks for the last day. So I gave them away to a large family visiting that I knew from our former church. Those kids were happy.
Another warm day. Gotta clean for my friends seeing this for the first time now that we are settled in.
Kate, one of the ladies had surgery for her shoulder last Monday and she is going back to work today-she answers the phone. She had no pain after Wed. Hope you have the same experience.
Bye Mima
Old 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #45  

Oh, that would be sweet, Mima!! My last rotator cuff surgery was a nightmare....very long recovery and I was very uncomfortable for about 10 days. I have also agreed to be in a clinical study for a new medication for post outpatient arthroscopic shoulder surgery. It's a new pain reliever called "Nucynta"....just approved by ther FDA and is now being researched for orthopedic surgery. Not sure how I feel about being a guinea pig for this but I can always opt out of the study in the event the medication doesn't relieve the pain so why not? Just got a call from the lab where I went Friday for my fasting blood test....the girl left the tourniquet on too long and my sample hemolyzed....(blood in the plasma when they spin it down to seperate). I have to go back tomorrow am to re-test (fasting again!) I told them they could put me to the head of the very long line that is always there for fasting tests because I wasn't going to waste another hour of my time for their boo-boo. They will also have to rush the results for my doctor's appointment on Wed to "clear" me for the surgery. This kind of stuff really gets to me sometimes. I have enough stress to deal with right now worrying about getting the dog, the housework etc squared away for my down time and they screw up and have to re-do my blood work. I try to be patient but I will admit that I fall short of that more often now-a-days. Had my xray and met with the nurse about the meds this morning so now I need to get something constructive done around the house. Looks like we have some nasty weather coming our way...."Bill" may be off the coast sometime Friday...who knows where but definitely here somewhere! Oh goody!! Enjoy the day....need to get hurricane-proofed!

Last edited by Kate53; 08-17-2009 at 12:54 PM.