Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #16  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Rice milk is good although I much prefer almond milk. I occasionally use some soy milk that I buy at my local asian market.

Some foods contain what are called phytoestogens, soy is the most popular but there are others. These phytoestrogens are generally considered beneficial. Unlike hormones in animal products that are injected, these are naturally occurring.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 291/265.5/133

Height: 5'3"

"Actually that is a big misconception about Asia. They do not actually eat processed soy like we do. My friend studied nutrtion/acpuncture in China for a summer, and they only eat the safer forms like edaname and miso, which don't effect estrogen levels."

I live in Japan and here people drink all different kinds of soy milk and eat numerous forms of fresh/fried/fermented tofu, as well as miso and edamame. I can't speak for the whole of Asia, but the Japanese are quite happily eating soy in all its processed/unprocessed forms.

I've also had soy milk and/or tofu in Korea, the Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia so processed soy products are pretty prevalent in the Asian countries I've visited, although different regions have different food traditions.
Newlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #18  
An Army of One

S/C/G: 346/322 /150

Height: 5'10

i love your avatar ^
blkbarbie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #19  

Height: 6-1.5

I am not sure about the medical information regarding hypothyroidism, but I like all the various types of "milks" Soy, rice, hemp, almond... Soy is the most common. I have very bad acid reflex when drinking milk. This really only developed about 10 years ago. I love the flavor of milk, but apparently it causes me too uch pain to drink it. I generally can eat yoghurt (like you) and I can eat a small amount of cheese. I stick to soy ice cream and milk, but do not drink milk often. If I have an opened box in the frige I wil drink it, but then, won't think of dinking it for a long time. I do not eat ceriel in the morning-- there goes the majority of my milk drinking.

I am not sure there is a satisfactory alternative to soy milk if you do not like the other alternatives. Almond and hemp milk are prohibitivly expensive for me.

As far as soy burgers and so on, the brand Quorn doesn't have soy and is very good, and there are also several non-soy fake meats, many are simply veggie patties like rice or bean patties. They taste pretty good anyway.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #20  

My nutritionist limits me to soy only 3 times a week and it has help my thyroid since I do. Once you have a disease, you are not in the normal eating group anymore. My dh had chronic kidney disease and was not allowed grains and whole grains, although most of use are told not to eat white products.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'2

Hello Karen I have IBS-D as well it has been worse here lately then before. I am also intolerant to any sort of dairy product except cheese for some reason. I was wondering what kind of tips do you have for me, my ibs tends to flair up in high-stress situations, which for me is constantly. What kinda healthy things can I eat to keep it down.
SarahDear123 is offline   Reply With Quote