Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #61  

Hi fatme- can we call you somethingg cute?
I got fibro at 30 but not diagnosed til I was in my 40's. I spent a lot of time finding the right meds that wouldn't make me sleepy. I did. Muscle relaxers are not good for energy. I took trazedone to get a good night's sleep and Tolmetin for paim. I just had to stop taking that because of bleeding but I took it for 25 years. A little exercise each day helps. Got to keep moving-don't give in . I know i sound preachy but all of us have learned by trial and error.
Kate, people with fibro tear their muscles easily-I ripped my rotator cuff doing yoga-we overextend sp be careful. Give it a rest.
Only made a little money at the yard sale but Suzanne was here and Bob's gf came to sit with us. Bob went to DC on Sunday on his day off. He has a funny pic with the Washington Monument on his head.
Yesterday we had a breakfast at the campground, lunch at longhorn. and Brett and Angela came over at 5. Our house is not set up for Keith. But they are adorable.
I have motivation to really clean out-way too much in the garage and it is so damp because it never stops raining. Will go bak to campground on Thursday.
Hope you got through your anniversary and Father's Day Tammy.
Bye for now-Mima
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #62  

Fatme, glad you found us. I don't know about everyone else, but when I was finally diagnosed with FM, I was so relieved. I had been through so many different tests for so many different problems, that just getting a diagnosis was great. I have a friend who has had FM for many years, so I did know something about it to begin with, so that helped knowing that it wasn't a death sentence, but something that I could deal with and live with. I knew that I would probably have some good days and some bad days, and that is what I have had.

My hubby was also relieved that this was the diagnosis. He had seen me where I couldn't get out of bed or a chair without help. He saw how his once active wife could barely move. My rheumatologist gave me brochures to share with family and friends, and she also talked to my husband about it.

Here is a site that may give you some information to share with your hubby.
www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/

If you haven't already, go see a rheumatologist who knows about fibromyalgia. That will help out with any questions that you have. I know it's hard to do when you hurt, but any exercise you can do at all will help believe it or not. walking, getting into warm water and walking, hottubs, stretching.

I still have some really bad days, but nothing like I once had. I am doing aerobics classes at the Y now. That's something I never would have dreamed that I would ever do again when I was diagnosed in 2004.

Keep coming back and asking question and let us know how you are doing.
Best wishes to you!!

Mima, yum to lunch at Longhorn! I went with friends after church yesterday, and we ate at Panera Bread, then did some shopping. It was fun. Tim and his fiance were able to spend some time just the two of them before she had to go back home. I was pretty emotional on our anniversary, but I think I did ok overall. Thanks for thinking of me.

Off to the Y. Last week for aerobics on Mon-Wed-Fri till September, but tomorrow I start Pilates and Zumba every Tues-Thurs. till September. Am I crazy or what? At least it's only 1 week of classes everyday. Should be interesting to see how I feel on Friday. I do go for a massage on Thursday afternoon. Maybe I should go every day!

Hope you all have a great week!

Last edited by Tammy; 06-22-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Made a mistake in the link to the spoon theory.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Okay Tammy, I give up....what is Zumba??? Sounds dangerous! I'm having a terrible day so far with this shoulder. I have a regular doctor's appointment tomorrow so I guess I'll have to tell him what's going on and see what he says. I sense another MRI in the near future.....what a pain....literally!
Welcome to the group "Fatme". I was diagnosed with FM back in the 80's. Mine seemed to come from a sleep disorder and got worse over the years. Like Mima and everyone on here can attest to, you need to stay active and find a good physician to work with you on meds. I would also suggest checking out the National Fibromyalgia Association website....www.fmaware.org. Registration is free and it will explain a lot about this condition with lots of resources. Feel free to ask questions because we are all living with the aches and pains here. Good luck to you.
Mima, do you camp just on the weekends or do you just go back and forth for the season? We have such beautiful places here to go camping but hubby and I don't have anything like a motorhome or camper to do it with. We always said we would buy a motorhome and travel the USA when we got to retirement. God knows we probably won't ever be able to afford that now!
Not dooing much today. I wanted to vacuumn the overhead fans this morning but this arm is acting up so badly I don't dare. Just running the vac over the floors will have to do I guess. Enjoy the day folks! It's going to be record high temps here for the next few days....up in the high 90's with 100% humidity. Looks like we'll be staying in the A/C for the next few days...poor Queenie!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #64  

Kate, Zumba is some kind of a dance class. Not really sure except that I know people who have taken it and loved it. I searched in online and saw a couple little videos, and it looks like fun, and it also looks like a good workout. There are a few of us from the aerobics class that are going to take it together, so that will make it fun.

Sure hope you get some relief from the shoulder pain. My right shoulder blade was hurting yesterday to the point of having trouble turning my head. Tim put a pain patch on for me, and I also took 1/2 of a pain pill before I went to class this morning. It's going to be pretty warm here this week too, but nothing like you. Stay cool!
Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #65  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody..
Our daughter went home this am.. her hubby having dental surgery tomorrow. This is serious.. Poor guy will not be able to eat anything but liquids for several weeks.. Lots of pain.. He has two bones growing under his tongue that have broke through .. he can't put his tongue down.
It has been a nice weekend but tiring.. As always everybody at my house.. We used all throw away plates and cups. Just had to wash knives and forks.. I bought most from sams and others brought something..
The heat is brutal down here.. Never remember it being this hot in June..
We need rain bad..
Welcome fatme. I don't have Fm. I have osteoarthritis and a few other things.. And of course I am getting "younger". Keep with your Dr.'s and try to get as healthy as you can. Good eating plan and exercise is always a good thing..
Tammy - It is good to hear that things are getting better.. My weight has gone up a little. 5 lbs off will help.. I keep saying that I will get my act together tomorrow . I start out good and it is down hill after that.. Too much food around here now.
Mima- Three times we have gone to Longhorn and ended up walking out. The wait was just too long.. You are lucky to be getting rain.. It makes it cooler..
Kate.. I have heard Va is really nice.. I have been there when my G/son was in the navy.. It is a pretty state.. Passing through and just going to Norfolk we didn't get to see a whole lot. Our daughter took some time there and she liked what she saw. She went to some of the historical sites..
Hello Happy, Meme...Joanne
Old 06-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #66  

Joanne, keep us posted on your son-in-law. That does sound serious. I've never heard of that happening. I'm sure there is food at your house from the weekend. Glad that you did it the easy way with the throwaway stuff.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 AM   #67  

Just passing along an e-mail. My naturepath says to eat fruit alone as well.

EATING FRUITS .......

It's long but very informative

We all think eating fruits means just buying fruits, cutting it and just popping it into our mouths. It's not as easy as you think. It's important to know how and when to eat.

What is the correct way of eating fruits?

IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUITS AFTER YOUR MEALS! FRUITS SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.

If you eat fruit like that, it will play a major role to detoxify your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.

FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD. Let's say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented from doing so.

In the meantime the whole meal rots and ferments and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil.

So please eat your fruits on an empty stomach or before your meals! You have heard people complaining - every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats up, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet etc - actually all this will not arise if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. The fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas and hence you will bloat!

Graying hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark circles under the eyes all these will not happen if you take fruits on an empty stomach.

There is no such thing as some fruits, like orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruits become alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did research on this matter. If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruits, you have the Secret of beauty, longevity, health, energy, happiness and normal weight.

When you need to drink fruit juice - drink only fresh fruit juice, NOT from the cans. Don't even drink juice that has been heated up. Don't eat cooked fruits because you don't get the nutrients at all. You only get to taste. Cooking destroys all the vitamins.

But eating a whole fruit is better than drinking the juice. If you should drink the juice, drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must let it mix with your saliva before swallowing it. You can go on a 3-day fruit fast to cleanse your body. Just eat fruits and drink fruit juice throughout the 3 days and you will be surprised when your friends tell you how radiant you look!

KIWI: Tiny but mighty. This is a good source of potassium, magnesium, vitamin E & fiber. Its vitamin C content is twice that of an orange.

APPLE: An apple a day keeps the doctor away? Although an apple has a low vitamin C content, it has antioxidants & flavonoids which enhances the activity of vitamin C thereby helping to lower the risks of colon cancer, heart attack & stroke.

STRAWBERRY: Protective Fruit. Strawberries have the highest total antioxidant power among major fruits & protect the body from cancer-causing, blood vessel-clogging free radicals.

ORANGE : Sweetest medicine. Taking 2-4 oranges a day may help keep colds away, lower cholesterol, prevent & dissolve kidney stones as well as lessens the risk of colon cancer.

WATERMELON: Coolest thirst quencher. Composed of 92% water, it is also packed with a giant dose of glutathione, which helps boost our immune system. They are also a key source of lycopene - the cancer fighting oxidant. Other nutrients found in watermelon are vitamin C & Potassium.

GUAVA & PAPAYA: Top awards for vitamin C. They are the clear winners for their high vitamin C content. Guava is also rich in fiber, which helps prevent constipation. Papaya is rich in carotene; this is good for your eyes.

Drinking Cold water after a meal = Cancer! Can you believe this? For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup,warm water or warm beer after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks HEART ATTACK PROCEDURE': (THIS IS NOT A JOKE!) Women should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line.. You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack . Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms.. Sixty percent of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up. Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know the better chance we could survive...

Read this...It could save your life!!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:41 AM   #68  

What a day..up early, helper forgot the code to get in the house, told her to put it in her cell phone or on a piece of paper, without my name, in her glove box...sometimes the knob does not work...need to get it replaced, we have all been locked out....

Ok...got a lot of cleaning done including the garage in the heat!!! Planted some cockscomb she brought me and met with the window people, plumber was here to fix the pot and got calls into the carpet people and Anderson window (seems our windows were put in with a decective unit) they are supposed to fix, may be the source of the water problem they said. Carpet people ordered me a sample of the new dye lot to see if it matches well enough to get a replacement...they will only do 1 room if that...I am waiting for a call......No one wants to honor their warranty's anymore, what's up with that?

Got a tooth bothering me...a loose crown with a root canal but the crown is bothering my gum. He said it would have to be pulled next time it came loose and a bridge put in...about 3000 bucks..no insurance and DH needs one too...(the dentist screwed up his tooth) and he has a constant infection in this gum...so I may not get furniture!!!!! Dh is just now figuring out it takes a lot of money to move ... I knew it and tired to tell him to set up a house fund and put all our extra in their instead of just blowing it like he does..he hands money out like water to the kids and his family and friends...I told him to work more!LOL Maybe I will have to sell my body NOT......

Off to make a pie...with my rhubarb the gal brought me. Yummy Yummy.....

Tammy...she cut the dog cause she was matted...you would look great grey..I think about it too..get tired of coloring but my hair person said not until 70......she moved away so I do it myself.

Happy..ouch on the toe...thanks for all the info. Heard the eat fruit 1rst from SIL.

Kate...is your outside work done...it is so hot here!!!!

Mima...I think yard sales are too much work..I just give it away but need to give more away......gonna gonna gonna...famous last words!

Joanne....hope his surgery goes ok...didn't know there were bones under the tounge?

Hi Fatme....welcome....do you have a local support group? yes read all you can..some docs do not know much and do not acknowlege it. Hope you get some relief..you must keep moving and eat better and never give up!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 AM   #69  

HI to Meme too!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #70  

Anne, interesting information you've been giving us! I like it because I'm learning from it. Now if I can just remember to do it.

Candice, I agree with you about the warranty stuff. Just don't understand people. Also don't understand why when someone tells you they will be at your house on a certain day and time, they don't show up and don't call. How do they stay in business?

Ouch to your tooth! I have some problems too, but I just keep putting it off.

Off to the Y for pilates and zumba. Hope they have someone there to take care of me when I hurt myself or someone else!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #71  

Good morning-getting my hot-going to lunch with Auntiea and then the dermatologist. Hope there are no surprises.
I emptied a lot of stuff in the garage. paying for it with my back and asthma. Too much mold. We are hoping to get the doors open thius week-Thurs.
We go back and forth to the campground depending on the wether. It's always raining so we are always home. We are not totally set up-need the screen house up and tv there. I am planning on going over Thurs and staying a bit. Graduation party on Sat.
That's really tough about your sil , Joanne,
Kate, take it easy-put ice on it. Once in a while I get scared that I have ripped my shoulder but than it goes away. Sure hope yours does.
What problems with your house, Candice!!! We have enough with an old one.
I love fruit Anne but have trouble eating it raw-some of it. My stomache has been so much better taking the mexatrexate-doc said it would.
Bye for now-sil started his trip and dd will join him on July 1. Mima
Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning all. Off to the doctors this am for my check up....will mention this shoulder/arm issue and see what is next. Sure is difficult trying to do things with only one arm! I tried ice, Mima and it is only some temporary relief. This feels exactly like my other one did when I tore the cuff so I am expecting the worse, of course. I would love for it not to be though!
Candice, is this repair work from your leaks last winter? What a pain having to deal with workmen again, yes? I am going through all that with my pool area but my warranty is over for a new house (1 year!) so it is added expenses for me. I would NOT recommend any of the sub contractors who worked on my house including the irrigation installer to anyone.....EVER! And I made that clear to the contractor who built my house and hired them, too!
Hubby is going through that root canal/crown issue, too. He had it done last year with the dentist I ended "firing" and is still having some issues with it. He'll be getting more dental work done next month (thorough scale/cleaning) and hopefully any problems will be corrected then. I have always been compulsive about taking care of my teeth so I can't say how that would feel. Good luck with the repairs....to both your house and tooth!
Anne, great info about the fruit. I had some fresh cantelope last evening...it was delicious.
Very tired today. I did manage to get those overhead fans done yesterday...one handed though. Got the house vacuumned and floors washed, too. Who needs Zumba and Pilates??? Hope everyone is doing okay....weather here still hot and very humid. Record high yesterday of 102 degrees in Vero....yikes! Now I know why I am considering moving to Virginia. Alexandria and Richmond are listed as two of the top 20 places to "start over" for jobs and housing. I'll see if the area is likable enough climate and people wise first. Hope to get a long weekend up there the end of July. Have to find a live-in babysitter for Queenie though...
Enjoy the day ladies! Wish me luck at the doc's today!!!

Last edited by Kate53; 06-23-2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #73  

Good morning.

Mima - are you having a garage sale on Thursday??

"I emptied a lot of stuff in the garage. paying for it with my back and asthma. Too much mold. We are hoping to get the doors open thius week-Thurs."

I do know that the mold would do me in. I have such a sensitivity to that, probably because of the yeast problem, I have. I can smell it a mile away and I get a raging headache and my sinuses start!! Hope you get away to the campground for a few days.

Tammy - that Zumba sound like fun! I am such a chicken when it comes to exercise. I went through 10 years of **** with this back, and I don't want to disrupt it in any way now. I couldn't stand to have that back again. It has gotten so much better since I started with the upper cervical chiro, and he told me to walk, as even doing the slightest little twists send my spine into this bad place. I have been trying to walk, but my toe isn't cooperating with me!!! You are doing so well. You have found the determination is takes to get on with moving and dieting and I am very proud of you.

Candice - nice to see you here. Sorry you are having so much trouble with getting your house fixed. Not fair, that they offer warrenties and then don't stand behind them. We never took that 5 yr warrenty that they offer on new homes, because we know that it is expensive and they don't do anything about it. If they do, it takes a court case and years to get fixed. We just build our own, and then we know it is done right., It is fun to build a house and see it grow. Plus, I love picking out all the finishing stuff.

Kate - I hope they can find you some relief for that shoulder. Anything to do with the arm and shoulder is painful, because we have to use them all the tinme. Way, way to hot where you live. I would die. I love to be able to have my windows opened and have fresh air in my house. Hope you can find a place in Virgina so you can move. It looks like a beautiful area. Me, I love ALBERTA. Even though we get the 4 seasons, and our winters our cold, it is beautiful here, and I really wouldn't trade it. We sometimes talk about moving into the Fruit Belt in British Columbia (province west of us), but the summer are so hot there. It gets up into the 100's regularly. I can't live in airconditioning either.

Joanne - glad you had a good visit with your family. Always was to nmuch food left after a gathering. That must be terrible for your SIL. Not being able to put yoiur tongue down, would be very uncomfortable., Hope all goes well.

Meme - hello, and where the heck are :YOU??? Hope everybody in your life is doing better.

I have been really busy this past week. Worked 3 full days, and had company on both Saturday and Sunday. We were going to go to Edmonton on the weekend and see our son and his family, but they were all sick, so opted out of that visit. Will catch up to them in a couple of weeks. This weekend, we have to go to Calgary to a birthday party. A very good friend of ours is turning 75. So, it will be Edmonton the following weekend.

Hope you all have a good day., I am off to see the chiro.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #74  

kate....hope hubby's teeth are ok....what is up with these incompetent workers these days....they all want paid but do not do a very good job. We would not recommned any of ours either and are told that the one who built this house was a jerk! DH did not want to build so we bought a 4 yr old home and nothing but problems. Now he says we should have built....he never listens to me and I am always right!!!!!! Take care of that shoulder..ouch!

Mima..you are hard to keep track of....yuck mold, had it in the other house so far none here....

Happy...did you build again? Aren't you the busy bee.....sorry your son's family is sick and no visit.

Tammy....you just do not find the quality anymore that was there years ago.....don't hurt your self at Zumba

Off top bed after more calls to window and carpet people....I was very persistant so think we might get the windows fixed and it might be the casue of the water problem. Carpet complaint is filed they said, so wait to see on that. Nothing done about tooth...will give it another day.....

Hot hot hot.......

The fresh rhubarb pie smells yummy

Last edited by Candicej; 06-23-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: because
Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #75  

Mima, friends of ours love camping. They spend most of their summer at a campground.

Kate, I'm sure you were sweating from all of your work at home as much as I did at the Y! I don't think I would like 102 degrees at all.

Anne, I don't blame you for not wanting to take a chance with your back. Thanks for the kind words!

Candice, I survived both classes, and I left the Y smiling, so that's a good thing. I took a shower as soon as I got home. I told tim if I had to call the rescue squad I wanted to be clean. He was on duty today so he chuckled.

I think I am going to bed soon.
Closed Thread