Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:42 AM   #31  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hello fellow chicks

Today I have done my washing over night ready to peg out on the washing line this morning. You’ve guessed it theres no sun in sight and I don’t think it will dry much outside. To be honest so far it looks more like rain so looks as though it will be drying indoors or in the tumble drier clothes that are suitable.

Last night I watched a programme from the internet on the BBC site (which is a television channel broadcast here in the UK) as the title of the programme alured me to it. It was called “when diets go wrong” it had an interviewer on the programme that was famous for her role in a British soap called Hollyoaks. The interviewer Mikyla Dodd spoke to various people who had experienced various side effects from different diets. Like those whom had taken diet pills bought from the internet and taken them with horrendous side effects. One lady could have lost her hands and her feet due to the fact the blood supply was going only to her major organs which we all know are situated in the torso.

There were ones which I felt did not deserve to go under this title though on the other flip of the coin. One was taking a tablet which is prescribed by the doctor and you are monitored by them throughout. You will be told of the side effects of taking too much fat in your diet. So it is up to you to do your best to stay in the appropriate amount so this side effect does not occur. I know of people on this site who have successfully lost weight this way and it was an in informed decision to go down this route.

Another was the Atkin diet which has its own thread here on the 3fc site and many have again been successful in losing weight via this method. They were mentioning the side effects which you will experience at the beginning (I think this is the case but I am not that familiar with the ins and outs of this type of eating plan) which is keytones and maybe smelly perspiring. Even though it did have eating plans which I felt should maybe have not been in there over all it did point out the pitfalls and avocaated it be done the healthy way through healthy eating and exercise.

Last night for tea we ate the soup I had prepared the day before which was made from mainly carrots and butternut squash. So it is very orange in colour due to the vegetable used. I have blended the vegetables used and it is nice and thick. It also flavoured it with a touch of curry power and I must admit we both like it. I suppose because I have been on a bland diet for so long and I am just able to tolerate mild curries without side effect. I must admit it is so great to have the odd dish which is a little bit spicy though I am being sensible and still having a relatively bland diet. I think my tummy would not tolerate a spicy diet after months of none it would be a shock to the system. So slowly is the way forward I think as I would hate to go back to before and the days of abdominal pain that I have experienced in the past. I have now strung three complete days of on plan of healthy eating here’s to another day to make it four.

Need to pop to the shop very briefly with DH to get some bananas (we tend to have at least one a day) though neither of us likes them when they become too ripe. The riper ones are always used in other ways as I hate to waste food. I use them to sweeten muffins or in our frozen banana desserts or for making mock banana ice cream. What I call mock banana ice cream is a banana which has been peeled and sliced and then lay on a flat tray in the freezer to freeze. Try not to have any piece touching the other as when it comes to blitzing them in the blender the iced banana will be too thick for the blades. Use them in a few days of popping them in there. Take out of the freezer let them defrost just slightly them pop into a blender and blitz. This when blitzed correctly will have the consistancy of soft ice cream. This is nice on its own for a snack or dessert. If you just have a tiny portion you then can have it with either fruit or jelly (jello). It has the taste of really banana ice cream without the cream or the sugar for that matter. The calories are far better ones than that from dairy ice cream I am sure.

We also need to purchase the weekly television magazine which on our weekly grocery trip last Monday I could not buy as this week’s edition does not come out on the shelves till Tuesday. Then I need some cocoa powder the unsweetened variety. I purchased some cocoa about a week ago only to find that I had purchased the wrong variety. Why I was first concerned was on opening I could see little tiny white grains through out the dark chocolate powder. I looked further on the packaging and low and behold sugar. It must have had a fair amount in the cocoa powder as it was high on the ingredience on the package. So here that means it has more than the other ingredience the higher up the list.

Was woke up this morning, not by an alarm clock oh no but by the workmen diggers at the back of our house where at present they are building a school. Not that I am complaining as they have been acceptionally quiet really considering how big the school is and they work 6 days a week on it from 7-30am in the morning till between 4pm – 6pm depending on the light of the day. In the winter months it was always 4pm but now it tends to be the later time.They constructed a blue solid metal fence all the way round partly for security for the site. Then they built a mount of earth higher than the fence which in my opinion acted as a buffer for the sound keeping it too a minimum. There is only a day which I found a bit grating sound wise and that was when they were driving metal plyons into the earth for the foundations of the school. The workers did warn us that they would be doing it so we planned to be out for the most of the day which we did. So we only had a short period of time with this horrid banging noise.

The traffic calming humps at the front of the house now have been completed for about a week to 10 days. We think it has reduced the volume of traffic down our road that was using it as a cut through to the other main road which adjoins it. It is just taking a little while to get use to work trucks using the hump outside our house as it now clatters their tools etc as they pass over. Not that they are speeding or anything like it but no one could get over it quietly in that type of vechile. So I keep think someone has had an accident and drove into another vechile. I am sure after a while that type of noise will drift into the background and I will not be aware of it. I know my sister used to live next to a railway and she became virtually immune to the sounds of the trains. Where as if when I stayed I was acutely aware of them and their activities throughout the day.

Hello to ROSEBUD, VAL, MEOWEE, RONNI, NUMPSTER] (oh gosh the mind has gone blank I can’t think of any more names who use our thread) so sorry if I have missed you out. I hope your all well and enjoying your weekend off. Time for me to tackle the breakfast pots and go and get out of these night clothes. So take care ladies and catch up with you later

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 06-13-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #32  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ well, we've been out to our lot for two days, and did manage to get a few things done. We planted our new crab apple tree and watered all our other trees as there hasn't been near enuff rain this spring. All we have been getting is short light sprinkles and our ground is too dry. Only the lower areas are doing really well, and sad to say, that it looks like we lost a few trees this year.

Gee, just a lack of rain for the spring; and even though we thought we were smart and put most of the trees near the east and south trenches, we have lost some. So we will be hauling water out each time we go to water them until some rain show up. We planted the tree in a place that we noticed had nice green grass around it and DH said that when he dug the hole that there was water in it, so it was a good spot (as trees need lots of water). From what we can tell, the back of the lot seems to have more water, as most of the healthy trees are in the back half of the lot.

PURPLE ~ thanks for keeping our thread alive why I was away. I was just so tired last night that I didn't come on my PC or get any reading or my puzzle done; I think I fell asleep within 15-20 minutes of putting my legs up. We just love the new ramp; it is so easy to walk up and down. DH just loves it for carrying things in and out; it is so handy. The only thing we want to do is buy some nice top rails to put on before we finish it. DH didn't have one long enuff for that, so they subbed with two shorter ones for now; but we will pick up one long nice one instead. I think it would look really nice with some rattan xxx sheething along the side as well.

We took our BBQ out there as well, so we can make some things to eat when we want something different. Today, I made a pasta salad and that was very filling. One day, I had tuna in it and another I put small cheddar cheese and turkey pepperette pieces in it. I added coarsely chopped cucumber, celery, onion, and tomatoes, with a bit of relish and a lite dressing; and this was very tastey.

We had good weather both days, but sadly those nasty buggies have finally come out and were trying to have us for lunch. We were actually very fortunate that they were two weeks late coming out this year. So we had to put on some bug goop to protect ourselves. I did manage to get in a bit of walking -- am going to have to build up my endurance again this year. Last year, I was doing really well, but the move set me back some. I will just have to take my time and increase a bit at a time. Maybe by the end of summer, I'll be back where I was.

Speaking of your 'Odema', I was having a problem with my right calf again; the scrape on my shin is getting smaller; it is about the size of a dime now, but one spot yesterday started draining profusely (not infection though, just water); I was a bit concerned, so today I let it air for awhile, then put a fresh bandage and put a large wrap around it. Well, along with some urgent prayers over the day, that seem to do the trick as the draining stopped and things are looking much better.

We are wondering how your DH managed to secure your air condtioner to your kitchen door? DH checked, and ours would fit both the kitchen and livingroom doors, but DH is wondering how one would secure it there without damaging the door itself (as we are renters only). He says that it could possibly fit into one of the bedroom windows, but that wouldn't help us in the main area of the house where the heat seems to accumulate more in this house (mainly from the western sun from supper time until sunset).

My Dad and SM live about 400 miles south of us, so we see them about two times a year. As long as they are well, they try to come up here each spring and fall to visit and stay in their place here (at his old farm); my Dad also has two brothers that live here as well, so they come to get away and visit family as well. We don't travel that much becuz the vehicles we have had in the past weren't that reliable, and my health wasn't that good for the last few years.

I am slowly starting to feel better in many ways, but my walking isn't back to where it needs to be yet for me to feel comfortable travelling places. We are hoping that my legs and health will improve over the next couple of years. I am doing better than I was last fall and early spring, and with this new ramp in -- it has given me a new hope that I can even improve my health this year, as long as I don't overdo it.

We are gonna take a rest and stay home tomorrow; and then see what kind of weather we may get next week. DH is still vascillating about what he wants to do first (he tends to be a bit undecisive at times); and so we will have to discuss it again and make a decision that he feels comfortable with. DH really found the bugs and heat in the late afternoon were bothering him, so we may try to go out earlier in the day, and look for cooler days to go out and stay home on the really hot days -- or something like that.

Well, that's about all the news for now; time to go put my legs up, as they need that as I did a bit of walking but didn't get a chance to put my legs up at all today. So, take good care ladies and we hope that you all have A MARVELLOUS MONDAY, and a wonderful new week, as well!!! ROSEBUD
Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 AM   #33  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies and good morning

Well I turned out to be very wrong about the weather yesterday it ended up being very cloudy first thing then the sun can out and I managed to get every thing dry. Plus I washed our towels and then the bed linen and dried them all outdoors. So all in all it was a very successful day on the laundry front

I was busy yesterday with little chores here and there. I stripped and remade the bed of course. I cleaned the bathroom and toilet. I bleached our cutlery which have white handles and they can get very stained over time. We had a lovely evening walk my DH and I which I thoroughly enjoyed. I had a shower and washed my hair so by the end of the day I was pretty exhausted. Needless to say thought I would sleep very well. Though instead it took me forever to get off to sleep. I was tired but I just couldn't’t sleep whether I was overly tired I just don’t know. Very seldom do I have bad nights like that so it is an one off.

Well on a down note my 4th day of healthy eating didn’t quite go to plan as I ate a piece of cake yesterday . Though to compensate I trimmed down our calories for the rest of the day to do some damage limitation. Hopefully the walk burned a few calories off as well for my bad choices. The food for the rest of the day was healthy and on plan if that scores me some brownie point For today we are going out for lunch at the café just up the road from our house. I will be having chicken and vegetables for dinner.

I have just been browsing my television magazine and noticed that there is a programme on called “casualty 1909” this is a true life series following a London hospital in the year of 1909 from hospital records from that time. There have been previous programmes but of earlier years of something like 1906 and 1907. It is fascinating to see nursing at the turn of the century and how strict they were. Not only that how hard they worked. Though to be honest a lot of their procedures and attention to detail I was trained in the same manner. This is because I had nurses whom where in charge of ward where from the old school. They may have been strict but they were fair plus you knew where you stood with them. To be honest they made me a little fearful but I fully respected them. Gosh and matron put the fear of god into you with her ward inspections. She would even do one on Christmas morning but you did not know what time she was coming so I couldn't’t relax until she had been. Plus also pass her close scrutinising eyes which missed nothing believe you me. She would check every nook and cranny for dirty. She would check drug trolleys, nursing notes and ensure that patients looked nice. This is because on this type of ward I was on they had dementia so we dressed our ladies and gentlemen. So that is why she would look over each one to see they were clean, tidy, nicely dressed, no buttons missing or holes in garments. Definitely no ladders in tights or stockings. The worse thing to find was anyone with food stains on their clothing (I know this from another nurse who got her wroth for this misdemeanour. )

ROSEBUD When you did not post I kind of thought that you must have been so tired after going to the plot. I know you said you were going there health permitting. Glad you got to see and use the ramp that has just been constructed there. It is such a pity due to the poor rainfall that you have lost some trees. Like you say until the rainfall makes an appearance you will have to lug water up there each time you go too keep the others alive.

Good idea about taking the barbeque to the lot so that you’re able to cook some food outdoors and eat el fresco. Nothing like eating outdoors the food seems to taste that touch nicer for some reason. Until like you say you become dinner for someone else namely the bugs. The bugs are not bad here as you describe in Canada though I am not very keen on wasps. I think this stems from an encounter as a child with one which crept up my trouser leg then started to sting me. I then started to scream and pat my trousers profusely which in turn just aggravated the wasp which stung me even more. By the time my parents came and sorted me out I had been stung about 7 times. Though I did encounter one wasp or bee when I was younger. My mum and dad were decorating their bedroom I went to ask to have a sweet. They said I could so off I trotted downstairs and got the sweetie tin. It was kind of big for me so I sat on the dinning room chair and placed the tin on the dinning table. Though unknown to me there was a wasp or a bee for that matter on the chair. Needless to say the wasp or bee didn’t take to kindly to that and stung me in the posterior. Apparently I screamed blue murder scared my parents half to death. Who come racing down the stairs at 90mph to see what had happened to me. So me and things that sting do not mix overly well .

Gosh your calf sounds painful and know wonder you sent up a few prayers when you had all that watery liquid oozing from it. My oedema is much better since I have elevated my feet a little throughout the day to drain the water from my feet. It wasn’t so much the swelling that bothered me but the tight feeling that it gave my feet. Making it difficult to walk due to the taut skin across the top of my foot. It certainly had made me think even more about a lady at a whist drive we go to. She has one of the worse cases I have seen in her leg, ankles and feet. How an earth she walks I don’t know but more over she must be in constant pain from it. She never complains though not once she is a wonderful lady.

When we use the air conditioning unit it is not secured in anyway we just trail it out through the back-door. So it is far from ideal and not so economical to say the least . The kitchen still remains hot full stop but the rest of the main room; hall way is nice and cool. We shut the two bedroom doors and bathroom so that it has not too bigger area to cool. We cool the hall way as that is where my DH PC is situated. Well at least for now it is situated in the hall way though if I become wheelchair bound we have made plans what we are going to do. We are going to convert our little bedroom into a computer room and get rid of the double bed in there. Then the double bed will be replaced by a smaller bed settee. The secondary bedroom is not used much only when we have guests and even then we use it and give our guests the master bedroom. We are in the same position as you as we are renters also but our landlord is the council. So you can't go knocking holes into anywhere you please. Else we would be evicted from our home and out on our ear. So like you we respect the home but that can leave you with some dilemmas which would not happen if the house was yours.

I am pleased for you that you are starting to feel better in so many ways. People often ask do I feel better now I have lost weight. I often reply not really. Though I think now looking back I do feel different just was so slow that I did not wake up one morning and everything felt rosy. So there was no defining moment like that. Though more subtle ones like my skin looks healthier. I have more energy to do things, I suppose as I am not lugging around an extra 120+lbs. I am happier person not that I was ever a sad one. Though what I mean to say is I did not realise how bothered I was about the size I was. I pretended to others it did not bother me but also I was fooling myself. Talk about playing ostrich and sticking my head in the sand. Other things have now become more pleasant as a result of the weight loss and that is clothes shopping. Plus I now take care of myself more not only from the point of view of what goes into my mouth but from the one more attentive to what I am wearing ensuring everything matches down to my jewelry.

I am sure as time goes on you will start to have more and more things your will notice that have improved. Yes it takes time to build up your strength and stamina. Though slowly does it, I know how hard it was in the beginning for me as I spent most of my day I suppose sedentary. So the word exercise came as a shock to my system to say the least. Though I am glad I stuck with it as you have other benefits as it elevates your mood and just general well being. I know that I gave my body years of abuse with fuelling it with often plain rubbish and overloading it with too many calories. I figure that it is not going to recover overnight from the years of abuse I gave it.

When I have watch a television programme about people whom have abused their body with food or alcohol. Yes their organs look better with a few weeks of healthy living but what it shows it takes quite a bit of time for them to get to fully recover. Often people are so shocked to see that how bad their heart, liver etc are in. I suppose as we do not see them we just kind of deny we are doing anything too them. Yes I saw I was overweight but that is as far as I went I did not want to think about what I had done to myself. It is a hard pill to swallow to say yes it was my fault that I am this way but once I had admitted it too myself. I was prepared to tell others what I weight which was the hardest thing I have ever done. It was my defining moment and the point I started treating myself a whole lot better. Oh I am far from perfect but I am a lot better than I ever was.

Well time to go now further news at the moment plus I appeared to have wrote an essay So enjoy the rest of your weekend whatever you maybe doing. So take care ladies till next time

purpleorc
Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #34  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ Our day started out with a mix of cloud and and fairly nice temps; but by this afternoon, some rain clouds came our way and it started raining. We also had some rain last night and I sure hope lots of that fell on our trees out at our lot. Before it fell, DH managed to get our lawnmower going and did a touch up of our front and side pieces for our landlord. His riding lawnmower couldn't go in some places, so DH did them with our regular mower, which thankfully is a self-propelled lawnmower that I bought DH for a birthday present many years ago (as it really helps take the load off his shoulders).

Well DH remembered before me that it was our 20th Wedding Anniversary today; I had totalling forgot about that and he reminded me upon waking. I got to pick the celebration dinner and I chose a healthier Chinese dinner of two different kinds of lean meat with mixed veggies dishes (one with bean sprouts; and one with things like broccoli, peppers, carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms); DH picked chicken balls and fried rice (actually it's just sauteed rice with chicken and green onions). We have a nice oriental place here that is actually owned and run by a nice, young Vietnamese couple, and they really make nice fresh dishes here. They use big chunky veggies and very lean meats which I just love. So you can indulge your taste buds, but in a very healthy way at the same time.

PURPLE ~ I'm not really sure what you mean about how you run your Air conditioner out the kitchen door. You must have the kind with a hose then? We don't have a portable unit with a hose, but I am considering buying one, if the temps get too hot as we could just put the hose attachment in the front livingroom door window. Here they come with a small window attachment which just fits in the window opening (about 8-12' high and wide as the window); and the hose attaches to that. Then we would just have to open the window on the screen door to let the exhaust go outside. DH measured the porch window and it is way too small for an A/C, so we have to find another solution. Don't worry, I will find one if it gets too hot in here. That is one thing that really bothers me now; hot and HUMID air, as I just can't breathe well in that anymore.

I haven't got a pole to put my line on here, so I am thinking of getting one of those rotating round lines to put right beside my back porch. They don't cost too much, but we have to budget each thing for each month; so that on the agenda for next month as is the A/C issue, so we'll see how it goes. We have done very well this month with the car repairs and the ramp, but we are still doing A-OK! Good thing I have had many years of budgeting practice ...

WOWIE ~ you certainly did have a busy day yesterday; many little odd jobs can indeed fill up a day for sure, but you feel so good to get them all accomplished -- then you collapse in bed exhausted that night and sleep very well!

DH did that today and has already conked out on me already, as he did many little jobs outside today too. He was just happy to get that lawnmower going for another year; it was just the seal on the gas tank was blocking the gas flow, so he will eventually have to pick up another one, but usually the carborator gets dirty and gives him grief, which is quite common actually. He also dug up the dandelions along the little garden and put gravel in its place; so that also probably tired him out, but it does look really nice. Now, if I could only find my basket of seeds and my tulip bulbs .... hmmm.

BOY ~ it was interesting reading about your MATRON that did all the care inspections; oh yah, can relate there, and she was a fussy one indeed, but on some of those points, you can surely see why (ie the drug trays are very important). It is kind of nice that she cared so much that the patients were being so well looked after, becuz honestly, in my career, I saw some neglect that I really didn't admire. We had one head nurse who was just like your matron, and she gave all the nurses such grief and bad nerves; but on the other hand, I worked in places where they were the opposite and way too lax -- much to the detriment of the care of the clients, and to me, that was worse.

So, I think that it needs to be somewhere in between ~ efficiently making sure that the patients are well-cared for and safe, but not overdoing it, until you drive all the nurses and support staff into "Homes For The Bewildered" themselves.

Only in the far north, do we have a huge pest problem in the early spring (especially the month of June); in the southern parts, they don't have as many trees or water around, so they don't have as many bugs as we do up here. I always tell DH that is one question I will have for GOD when I see him face to face -- why all those horrible skitters (mosquitoes), midgies, and black flies???

I know that the birdies and bats do eat some of them, but not enuff for my liking. I know in your bush areas that you do have midgies too, becuz I used to watch a cooking show called "THE TWO FAT LADIES" that came from England, and one time they went to a place where some workers were cutting trees and took some food to the men; and they said the bugs were horrific. Again, it's really a matter of where you are. All the woods and bush here have lots of bugs; but as the heat of July and August comes, that kills most of them off ...

I was born in the south and we mostly had bees and mosquitoes; and I don't like either of them. I have one itchy skitter bite on my arm that still bothers me today; acts up now and then. We just have to remember to use our 'BUG GOOP' (repellents) and wear our mosquito net hats, which we forgot we had up there until last night. The old memory plays havoc again!

Well, it's time for me to go make my evening tea and put my legs up for awhile; hopefully tonight I may finish the puzzle that I have been working on for three days. I did pretty good keeping on plan this week; not perfect as we did each have a treat this weekend, but hopefully over all things will improve as I go along.

TO MEOWEE and VAL ~ hope both you ladies are feeling better this week. Prayers continue for all of you, including RONNI and our dear PURPLE!!!

I just noticed that I was totally confused about what day it was yesterday; both here and on another thread. I thought it was Sunday yesterday and here it was only Saturday. Haha! Hope all you ladies have a super Sunday evening and now I do hope that you all have a MARVELLOUS MONDAY!!! ROSEBUD
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #35  
MSer living healthy

Good afternoon fellow chicks ;wave:

Today the weather does not know if it wants to be cloudy or sunny . Though no rain at has appeared today, so many neighbours taking the opportunity to dry their washing outours.

Managed to complete the ironing yesterday evening before our late tea come supper. I did this whilst watching our weekly dose of Robinhood which I had prerecorded onto our freeview hard drive. Not sure if you are aware what a freeview box is so forgive me if it is a case of teaching grandma to suck eggs A freeview box works best with a digitial arial and it gives you a selection of free extra channels apart from your normal 5 channels which are on analogue. You can have various sorts of freeview boxes depending on how much you wish to pay. We paid a wee bit more and it allows us to record programmes on to its own hard drive. You can record upto 2 programmes at once plus view one prerecorded programme that you have previously recorded. You can also watch the programme that is already being recorded and you do not have to wait for it to finish. One other feature ours has it allows you to pause the television say if you are watching a film for example and need to go for a potty break. Then start the programme whenever you are ready but it starts from the point you paused the programme. Excellent feature if someone telephones or knocks at the door so no missing a favourite programme or interesting article.

This morning took the opportunity to wash our little baby rizzie much to his annoyance. Though he has the poorest aim in the doggie world when it comes to doing his business. You can guarentee he tinkles all over his paws. Mind you I think he is confused to what sex he is half the time he forgets to cock his leg up and just squats . So this is where the problem lies unfortunately but there is very little I can do to try and alter this behaviour . To be honest he is well behaved in general so no complaints .

ROSEBUD Glad there was a little rainfall for the sake of your trees, though I am sure you could do with a bigger down pour. (preferably during the night)

Yes the self propelled lawn mowers are much easier on the arms and shoulders. My DH has a petrol mower which is not bad on the arms etc. When I was steadier on my feet I could manage to do it. Though could never empty the grass from the collection basket as it was too heavy for me. Sounds like DH has been a busy bee again, I reckon he has a secret battery somewhere on his person as he is always on the go

Yes our air conditioning unit has a long hose which is concertinas up when not in use to reduce storage space. So the hose we just trial out the door so let the hot air out of the rooms and let the unit put cold air into our living space.

Like you say it sure does take up your day all those little chores. They don’t sound much when you say them but they are time consuming nevertheless. Today I am really flagging as for a couple of reasons. Firstly because I have now had two nights in a row which I have had poor sleep which is highly unusal? Secondly it is getting to be time for my treatment and I am need of topping up with oxygen again which is tomorrow.

Watched the first in the series of the casualty 1909 one of the thing it said was life expectancy was 45, nearly the same age as myself now. Shows how much medicine has progressed in that time. It also highlighted the dangers of the anethesia as it really was still in its infancy. The hospital in question became one of the first to have doctors specially dedicated to anethesia and to have 24 hour cover with one of these trained doctors. Also the final thing that was documented at the end of the programme was it told you that child protitution was not that uncommon and girls as young as 10 which is a very frightening thought.

Our matron was strict but did not make me into a nervous reck. One nurse did and she was the divisional nurse manager of the psychiatric wards. (She was not higher than matron so lower on the pecking order) This lady took a dislike to me and was never off my back. Unfortunately I use to get bronchitis every winter sometime 3 or 4 times. I also use to get asthma along side this bronchitis so on inhalers to help me to breathe. I was so breathless all the time, not to mention how grotty it makes you feel. So I was off sick 2 or 3 weeks at a time as I was just too poorly to work. Nine times out of ten one course of antibiotics was never enough to clear it. Numerous occasions I had to go for a xray to see if there was something else going on. I think also in hindsight it was the beginning of my MS with the way I was feeling and some symptoms I was feeling. The only way I can describe how I felt at time due to this lady in question was she made my life a living ****. It got to the point when I had had enough of her picking on me that I had the union involved and they where wonderfully supportive. They protected me and it got to where she was not allowed to see me on my own. When the union was involved she backed off, I so wished I had gone to them earlier. People often asked why didn’t I leave I was stubborn and I would not give her the satisfaction of saying that she had driven me away. She ended up leaving before me, ironically on grounds of ill health. Not quite sure the ins or outs of it but she was losing her sight to the point she was unable to do her job.

I remember the show the two fat ladies but unfortunately one of the ladies passed away. Yes we do have more of those midgies and buggies near trees there must be something that they must like there.

I have done pretty well overall on keeping on plan there has been only one day that it went up the duff So we have done great between us, such a shame I saw the piece of cake that seemed to have my name on it and was calling me Today had a lovely meal at lunch time we had mainly a vegetable curry of carrots, butternut squash, onions and a very tiny amount of turkey. Both of us said afterwards we would not have minded if it had been vegetarian as the curry tasted so nice. Tea is made for tonight nothing fancy but a sandwich just need to do some peaches and yoghurt in a bit.

Time to close and go and make a drink my throat is very dry. Though before I go I will say hello to VAL, MEOWEE, RONNI and a big thanks to ROSEBUD for the prays . So till next time take care not sure if I will manage to come on tomorrow with treatment though I will try.

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 06-15-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #36  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, we went from intermittent rain to hot, hot, hot!!! Sizzlin' Hot!!! So, I decided to just stay home as this weird cold keeps comin' back; the symptoms just make you feel vert tired, feverish, hot, queezy, a bit weak, and congested. However, the symptoms come and go.

PURPLE ~ sorry you've been having trouble sleeping; last night I did too, so that is probably why I felt tired today, but the heat makes me feel even worse. When I was younger, I could stand the heat more (they say that is so for everyone, esp kids), but now it makes me so tired. We have all the windows in the house wide open (well, as wide as we can get them to be, that is). DH says that he is sure our air conditioner will fit in our bedroom window; well, at least we'll be cool for the night-time, although I think I'll dig into some of my savings and buy a small portable with a hose for the livingroom area just for the really sizzling days of July and August. We think it may be a good idea to put a blind up in the kitchen window as well.

I hope you get to your oxygen therapy tomorrow as it helps you so much. Gee, I stayed home today and still managed to get bitten by a few skitters anyways. All the long grass across the road was being cut today, so they probably came from there. An elderly gentlemen has been working on his place and an empty lot for two days; DH did some finishing up here and the neighbour's next door (who doesn't have a lawnmower).

I think your FREEVIEW BOX is similar to what NA calls TIVO; it sounds very similar although I have never seen it or used it -- I have just heard people talking about it. DH and I had enuff of a time just trying to learn how to use our VCR's (video cassette recorders) and DVD players. Now they have come out with something new again (actually quite a while ago) for us to learn, that is, if we could ever afford that, which I doubt very much.

DH says that it took all day just to cut the grass on our place and then he did the grass at my Dad's place as well. It was quite hot out there, but some nice clouds did come by to cool things down a bit. DH said he was exhausted by mid-afternoon, so decided to come home.

HOMEMADE FRENCH POTAGE SOUP --

Well I spent the day making a big pot of homemade potage which is veggies chopped small (3 medium potatoes, 3 celery stalks, 3 carrots, 3 onions, 3 tomatoes, 3 cups shredded cabbage, and 1 cup broccoli stems (or green beans; whatever you have on hand). I also added 2/3 cup baby peas, becuz I didn't have any barley or lentils (1/3 cup). I added these veggies to 3 liters of water, 3 tbl chicken soup base, 3 tbl onion or beef or veggie soup base, 3 tbl parsley, 3 bay leaves, 3 tsp thyme, 3 tsp garlic and onion powder, 3 tsp salt and black pepper, becuz I like it hot). I just brought this to a boil and then simmered it (covered) for up to 3 hours; then I mashed some of the veggies to make it thicker. I had some for lunch with a slice of whole grain bread and it was very yummy.

SUGAR-FREE CHOCOLATE PUDDING --

I also made a homemade SUGAR-FREE chocolate custard pudding today. I made it with some thawed frozen bananas (4 small) with 1/3 cup sweetener, 6 tbl cocoa powder, 4 tbl corn starch, 2 x-large eggs, 1 tbl vanilla essence, and 2 cups skim milk. I combined everything but the milk with a whisk; then on medium-high heat added the milk and heated and beat until thick; and it was quite thick, but I like it that way. This made 8 x 1/2 cup servings and is a lot cheaper than store bought.

Anyways, time to put my legs up and have my tea; take good care, ladies; and we hope you all have A TERRIFIC TUESDAY TOMORROW!!! ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-15-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #37  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Well yesterday the skies went really dark and gloomy then we had a short sharp thunderstorm. The thunder upset our Rizzie so his day wasn't such a good one as it started off me bathing him which he hates with a passion. Fortunately it was very short lived so Rizzie soon settled down. Today it is partially sunny and cloudy one of those kind of days.

Yesterday unfortunately I started with some abdomen pain which has continued through the night and is still with me now as I write this. So I have either a hot wheat bag or heat patch on the area. The heat therapy works well and takes most of the pain away. Though what finally decided I best not go for oxygen therapy today is the fact I had a blocked nose. Nothing like a cold, but I seem to have symptoms a little like hay fever. Though I just have the streaming nose no runny eyes or anything like it. I knew a gentleman once a nurse in actual fact who suffered so bad in the summer with hay fever he looked as though he had a permanent cold during the summer. So I have nothing so severe as that just a runny nose as I said. So I thought it best not to go for oxygen therapy with my nose as the slightest problem like this it catches you out and you end up with pain in your ears having to stop treatment.

I have been trying to complete a computer game that my DH bought me it has something like 500 games to play. This is as the game is based around the Egyptian pyramids and there are 7 of those in this. Each pyramid has 3 levels to contend with contains 72 games in total. Not including the 8 bonus games each level. Each pyramid has a different type of game. Some are easier than others to complete. Each level as been that much harder to complete than the other. I have something like 80 games left to complete the puzzle so that will keep me out of mischief for a while. When I have completed that there is a bonus pack which my DH got for free as he bough this game. The game was I think £8 which I think considering how many games and how long it takes you to complete it is excellent. The bonus game is the same size as the original game so many hours of game play.

The other thing I have been doing to relax is play a game on face book. It is where you build a farm and go up the levels. It is quite addictive, more than I thought it would be It was the reason I joined face book as I had seen my DH playing on this and it is a simple game to learn to play.

ROSEBUD Thanks for the recipes they look both rather nice. I like the sound of the chocolate puddings as I am always on the look out for sweet things for my DH. The only thing not sure about is the bananas do you blitz them down with a hand blender or something like that or just leave them in slices.

The vegetable pottage is a great recipe which is nearly vegetarian apart from the chicken stock though I suppose you could use vegetable stock if you where serving a vegetarian. My nephew you see is vegetarian so if he comes to dinner I have to cook something meat free for him.

The type of free-view box that we bough pans out about the same price as a dvd recorder or cheaper to be honest. Though technology is moving on all the time and the new gadgets are way out off our price brackets. The new thing for watching dvd's is a player called a blue ray player. But they are like mega expensive or at least they were. We noticed that they were coming down a bit in price.

Tomorrow morning I am off to see the doctor not about my tummy. It is my 18 month tablet check regarding my repeat prescription. If you have have anything on repeat prescription every so many months you have to see a doctor by law before they will issue another prescription. This is to stop tablets beginning given out for years on end when they are not needed.

No further news at the minute, so time for me to go and get dress I think and do the odd chore. Though I am not doing too much as I am on the house on my own so don't want to fall. DH at the MS centre doing his voluntary work. He left me in bed this morning as I wasn't feeling so grand first thing. Though I feel heaps better than I did.

bye for now and take care

purpleorc

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #38  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hello, Everyone! We've got the rain today and cool temps, too, for now, but I think tomorrow will be much warmer and probably humid, too. DS2 is gone to South Dakota, so it's just DS3 and me during the days and I was hoping to be able to take him to the pool, but the weather is just not cooperating. He has an optometrist appt. today, so we'll be out and about for awhile. Like the rest of you, I'm feeling so tired lately-just can't seem to get enough sleep, so if I sit down in a chair in the evening, I fall asleep trying to watch tv!

Purple-It does sound like you have a little allergy issue. I have some allergies to grass & tree pollens and I just get stuffy when those pollens are high. Sometimes, I also get red, itchy eyes which make me look like I'm crying all the time. Awhile back, I seem to recall you asking if heat made my MS symptoms worse and I can say a definite yes on that. Just taking my walks makes my legs tingly and numb and when we go to the pool, sitting in the direct sun and getting warm gives me all kinds of numbness and creepy-crawly feelings on my back, legs, and face. Very annoying as it lasts for a couple days and makes it really hard to sleep. So, I hope you're feeling better quickly. Oh, another thing-had to laugh about your Rizzie not raising his leg. My sis has a male golden retriever and he has always squatted to pee also-I wonder if it's due to being 'fixed' as a young puppy? He's a nice dog, but has a splenic tumor and only a short time left.

Rosebud-those recipes sound delicious-I'm always unsure of what herbs and spices to put in things, so I don't experiment much-usually follow a recipe very closely, except I can't use garlic at all, as it causes me to have migraines. But, adding parsley and the other items you mentioned sound wonderful! Oh, and
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! Sorry it's a little late.

Meowee and Val-been thinking about both of you and hoping you are feeling better and getting rested. for you both!

Well, have a great day, everyone!

Last edited by ronni62; 06-16-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #39  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had a very busy day today; and I managed to get in a good amount of walking as we went shopping for a portable air condtioner, and we did find one on sale (although I had to push to get the sale as the cashier then tried to charge me full-pin; but I stood my ground as the salesman had assured me it was on sale so we went and got the cash and went back to buy it). In the end, I did get the sale, but had to remind them that they cannot advertise the sale with a big red tag and then charge us something way more when we get to the check out.

I also picked up a blind for the kitchen window; the selection in this town was very poor (could only find one and it isn't quite wanted, but it will do for now until I can find what I really want to put there). We picked up a few groceries while we were out, so that's why I got so much walking and we even went and picked up some new wood to start the frame on the cottage today!

Sooo ... we spent quite a bit of money; but I dug into my savings and bought the Portable A/C becuz I just could not stand to go thru the hottest months without a little help. I am already hot enuff now that I'm into my menopause years, so I need all the help I can get right now. Here's a picture of our new Portable Air Conditioner -- you can see how we have the hose running outside through the front door window. The window kit came with the air conditioner and has an extension piece for bigger windows too.

new AC 3w.JPG

We had the AC on for a little while until the temps outside were cooler than in here; so then we turned that off and opened the windows for the night. So hopefully we are all set for the summer now; and have no more things that we need to buy.

HI PURPLE ~ sorry that you couldn't make it to your oxygen treatment today, as I know that you like it. I agree with RONNI that it almost sounds like a kind of allergy. I know that when I even put a bit of skim milk on my cereal (like this morning) that I get a runny and stuffed-up nose. I may have to try another kind of milk like soy and see the difference ...

Our little Sweetie was a girl doggie as you may remember, but she often would lift her leg as if she was a male; the reason for that is that when she was little (a puppy) there was only one other dog around; and he was a male. He would come by, and visited her all through their lives; and she just imitated him. Often dogs learn things by watching those around them.

Gee, I hope that pain in your stomach goes away; hope your ulcer isn't acting up again. Maybe you should mention that to your doctor when you see him this week again as well. Yah, sometimes it is nice to have a day to yourself; esp when your spouse it normally with you all the time. Sometimes, DH goes off by himself to the lot, or the old farm to fetch our stuff, or doing one of his hobbies, or helping one of his friends -- that way we get some time to ourselves and don't get on each others nerves too much.

RE: the PUDDING ~ I think for banana pudding, I would use fresh mashed or whizzed bananas; and for the chocolate custard, next time I am going to try it with no bananas, and just use sweetener. You would definitely have to whiz the bananas to make them smooth -- I didn't this time, so it was a bit squiggly. But I have to say it tasted quite sweet, so next time, I may cut the sweetener down too (becuz as it cooled, it got sweeter).

RE: the POTAGE VEGGIE SOUP ~ that soup is really, really nice and you could definitely use a veggie broth; I think some recipes don't even add the soup bases, but I do as I find that they just give the soup a bit more flavor, esp when you aren't using any meat, like this one. You can get a veggie soup base as I have seen them at our local grocery store here; and after the veggies have simmered for awhile more flavor comes out of them too.

RONNIE ~ you don't have to put the garlic in if you don't like it; the French put it in as it gives lots of flavor to many foods and is good for you, but the soup will taste just as lovely without it, I'm sure. You can also put less salt & pepper in this soup -- it is all a matter of personal taste. Thanks for the anniversary wishes; boy, has time flown by fast. There have certainly been some ups and downs, but as a lady said to us today; as long as you can still smile at each other after 20 years that is a good sign.

HI MEOWEE ~ (aka Linda) -- am still lifting you up in prayer that your lungs will get better; that those tests will get to the bottom of things so your doctors can help you, and that your health will be restored as soon as possible ...

HIYA VAL ~ hope you are having a good week at work and your health is improving all the time ...

Well, I am going to have to get my poor legs up and rest them for at least a day or two now -- I'm sure that they will be very tired and sore tomorrow. Take good care of yourselves ladies; try to get lots of rest and have yourselves A WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!!! ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-16-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #40  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ it was very, very hot here today, the thermometer even said 91F at one point, but the sun may have caused that, however it was 86F inside so it might have been right! I stayed indoors all day and didn't have to put my new A/C on until 3 pm, so that wasn't too bad. It is supposed to cool down this evening, then we can turn it off.

DH was exhausted from the heat when he got home today; he did well and got the outside frame of the floor done today (a lot for such a hot day). So, we just had a cool supper of a sandwich (me: ham, cheese, tomato, lettuce). I found a can of cooked navy beans in my pantry today so rinsed them well, and added them to my French Potage Soup, and had some for lunch by itself, and it was quite filling.

Just did small housechores today, becuz as I thought, my feet were very sore, but not near as bad as I had expected them to be, so there was some improvement there. They are expecting more fiercely hot days for awhile, so I am going to be staying home and finding something else to do for this week.

That's all the news from here; gonna go put my feet up for awhile. Take good care of yourselves ladies and have a terrific Thursday. ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-17-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #41  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies

Busy day some how yesterday so didn't get to come on here. So tried my best to come on today. The weather still remains cloudy with little bursts of sunshine though they are very few and far between.

Have been shopping today in two supermarkets which are in close proximity so makes that easy for us. Did a small shop this week as I am trying to use more stuff out my freezer as I know there is quite a bit of food in there. I sorted out the bigger freezer the other day so I knew what sort of dishes I could produce from them.

Went to the doctors in the morning to have my tablet review. This went visit was eventful when a patient came in and seen by the doctor was seriously ill. The doctor was racing around get all sorts of medication from the chemists next door. Also getting staff to call the ambulance for the patient. It was a child of about 8 years old with breathing difficulties. The ambulance crew just came as I had been called by my doctor. I also told the doctor about the trouble I had with constipation. She suspects that the reason I have trouble is due to my MS and the nerve damage we get from the condition. I also explained that I had a couple of attacks and I was not seen by the MS doctors which she was very surprised. Even more surprised that I did not have steroid therapy at least for one of my attacks. She said also why did I not come and see them about my attacks. I explained well if the specialists did not want to see me then I thought that my own gp would not want to see me either. She told me if I was in this position again then I was to visit them and she would get me on the appropriate treatment by putting a pressure on the specialists to see me So now I am on medication for my constipation and do not feel so isolated if I should have an attack in the future. With God's grace hopefully not but sometimes he has plans for us we don't understand at the time.

RONNI Your probably right about having an allergy issue which is only mild really and I can live with it. It does not encroach badly into my life so I can do most things that I want.

It seems you have the symptoms that are common with MSers the tingling in the legs with exercise which takes some time to go. The tiredness due to the heat and the horrible sensations in limbs are strange to describe but certainly are horrid.

You may have something in about when a dog is "fixed" our Rizzie was neutered at 2 years old after he was mounting everything that moved The operation put paid to that behaviour but I can't remember if it changed his toileting habits. Sorry hear about that your sisters dog has only a short time left. This is the sad part of keeping a pet the saying goodbye. This is as they become such a part of the family and certainly helped me when times have been tough.

ROSEBUD The picture of your new air conditioning unit looks similar to ours with having the pipe that goes out through a window or similar opening. Good that you managed to get a deal on it. Shame that you didn't quite get the blind you wanted but managed to get a replacement for now.

My tummy is back to normal now, did mention it too my gp funnily enough but she said it was my ulcer just flaring up over some food or little too much fat. It is such a balancing act I must admit, I had been having some spiced food lately maybe I over did it and had a wee bit too much So I have been eating bland and this has worked wonders.

Thanks for your tips on the recipes that you had posted it certainly helped.

Another big date on the calendar with having Royal Ascot which is a horse racing meeting which is covered on television. It is as much as about the fashion as it is about the horse racing. They have a ladies day and a mens day. The men mainly dress in top hat so very formal looking. The ladies should have a hat on which is ostentatious. There are bets on what colour the Queen will wear so as I said all about fashion.

Sounds like it is getting pretty hot in your part of the world and you have your air conditioning unit just in time. I hope your legs are feeling a bit better after your walking. You don't realise how much you do when you shop it isn't until you finish that you then feel it in your legs.

VALDINE Hope you managed to get some rest this past weekend and recharge those batteries. I know how hard working and balancing having ms can be.

MEOWEE You still remain in my thoughts daily wondering how you are. I hope the test you had have revealed the way forward for your treatment. I hope you are feeling a wee bit better now.

No further news now and time to have a rest before going out this evening.

Take care ladies till next time

purpleorc

Old 06-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #42  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, everyone! We had a nice day away yesterday, as DH had a conference to attend and asked us to go along. Spent the day shopping at some places we hadn't been in a very long time at a huge mall near Des Moines. Found a nice shirt to match some capris I have and some piano music to challenge myself with. Then, we took DH out to Red Lobster for early Father's Day dinner. Had wonderful grilled shrimp with baked potato (just can't ever give those up!) and salad and DH shared some of his crab and lobster, too. Yummmmmm!

Then, had storms last night, even a tornado about 45 miles north of us, but just high winds, rain, lightning, & thunder here, thank goodness. Picked about a gallon of strawberries from the patch, also-hmmm, sounds like it might be snack time!

Hope you are all doing well and have a great day!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #43  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had disgustingly HOT weather today; went up to 95F and over a 100F in full sun! It was not pleasant for us in the late afternoon; sweat was just pouring down my legs. We both had a shower to cool off and that helped for a little while. WE have never seen temps this hot in June; at least not that I recall, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

Just stayed home and did laundry and house stuff; so glad I did. Not much else going on here. For some reason it is often cooler outside than in this house; can't seem to get a good cross breeze goin' thru this place. This poor little Air Conditioner can't even touch this heat problem. DH was very annoyed how HOT it gets in this place. Went out to the freezer and it was boiling in the shed too; we definitely will have to get an new, small freezer and put it in our spare room. Our hydro bill is going to go thru the roof, I'm sure of it.

Hope you all have a FABULOUS FRIDAY! Take good care ROSEBUD
Old 06-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #44  
Rosebud

HI RONNI ~ glad you and your family all had a nice trip and some fun while DH was at his conference; nice perk of the job -- family can go along and do some shopping. That sounds like a good place to eat; a very healthy dinner, nevertheless ...

Hope you and yours have a great weekend too!

ROSEBUD
Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #45  
Rosebud

HI MEOWEE ~ hope you are getting lots of rest and that you are feeling a bit better. Keep on those doctors to get to the bottom of that wheezing ... Prayers continue for you; hope you'll be well again and back posting again soon!
Closed Thread