Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:09 AM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Insomnia...due to menopause? divorce? stress?

It's 4 a.m. I've been up since 7 a.m. yesterday. My period is about two weeks late. I'm 48. I get hot flashes intermittently. I'm in the process of getting divorced, I'm caring for aging parents, my sister and her husband lost jobs and are now moving across the country for a new job (so I'm stuck with all the elder care now), and I'm trying to finish my last year of college (double major).

I just want to sleep...I want to go to bed at 10 p.m. and get up at 6 a.m. And wake up refreshed and full of energy. But I usually just lay in bed while my brain churns and my heart flutters and I'm wrestling with the sheets and blankets. So I get up and try to get some studying done...but brain is too sluggish to function intelligently!

I'm currently taking a handful of herb supplements and vitamins for all the issues. Nothing is working very well.

Okay, I'll try to go to bed again...

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

It could be all 3 of the above but I certainly slept worse the further I got into the perimenopause. I could get to sleep but not stay there long, like trying to hold something under water that kept bobbing to the surface again.
It improves.
And now I'm having a second perimenopause (sigh), I'm sleeping like the proverbial log.

Hope your sleep improves.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

OMG, Georgia,

Your post really gives me perspective. Thank you for laying it all out there. You have a plateful, girl. Any of us who are whining about a lot of stress in our lives should take a look at your situation.

I know there is a lot to consider in taking HRT, but it sure helps me. My doctor and I did a thorough analysis of the upside and the risk and made the decision that in my situation, it was worth the risk. Peri menopause is a bugger, and even though you have plenty to be really stressed about, the raging hormones are never easy in the best of life's circumstances.

The other thing that helps me enormously is exercise. Even though it seems that you can't possibly have time, a nice, brisk walk can do wonders for stress and overall well-being.

Good luck and stay with us for lots of support.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

Wait, what? You can get this perimenopause thing twice? If I have to go through it twice, then I want to start back at puberty and work up to it again!

Geo
Old 05-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I went thru the same thing when it was at it's worst; and yes, peri-menopause can come and go in spurts. Mine is much better now than before (it started when I was 46 y/o). The hot flashes are much less; only now and then, but I'm now 50, but I can tell when my hormones are reeking havoc in my life -- I get weepy and easily irritated and hungry, etc. Some nights I can't stay awake and other nights, I can't sleep. I'm learning to roll with the punches, so-to-speak.

I know it's hard when you are working and/or going to school. Maybe instead of intense studying, try just reading a bit for a while, then take a break and so on. I used to get up in the middle of the night from the hot flashes and insomnia. I would rock in my rocking chair with nice soft instrumental music and that helped a lot. I also found (for me) reading the Psalms help my anxiety (which was very bad at one point).

My doctor also put me on METFORMIN at the same time; and he gave me some pills for the anxiety which really helped and I haven't had to take any in well over a year now. Sometimes, I just have a small glass of beer and that helps me (I only recommend this to those who don't have drinking issues). Many people don't know that HOPS which are in beer act like a mild estrogen and helps with symptoms ...

So, things do get better, the symptoms vary and do lessen with time (they are most difficult at the beginning as they are stronger then and you aren't sure what is happening to you). Look for solutions to deal with the symptoms the best you can for right now, and things will get better ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-31-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

I am really nervous about going on meds. I've mostly found that if I can manage my life on my own with diet, exercise, fresh air and sunlight, I usually do okay. It seems perimenopause is immune to all of that for me!

My period started today, about 10 days late, and now I'm feeling like a giant, cumbersome ovary with legs. I'm drinking a lot of green tea today and am looking forward to getting a massage tomorrow. That should help some, especially if I have her work on my lymphatic system. I read that bouncing on a rebounder or Fitball will also help drain the lymph nodes. Maybe I'll sleep better after that.

Georgia
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

GEO ~ I admire that you want to try to go thru menopause without meds, but for some people, their symptoms are so bad, that they need to take something to stay sane. My doctor put me on METFORMIN to help regulate my body's own hormones better, get my blood sugar levels back to normal (a success), and help release water retension problems in my legs (this does help). Some say there is a side benefit that it may help you lose weight, but I don't know about that for sure. I don't want to take these forever either as some of the side effects bothered me in the beginning; now they aren't as bad.

Re: the anxiety meds: my doctor wanted me to go on a daily pill (Paxol), but I didn't like that one and stopped it. Instead I went on one that you only use when absolutely necessary (on that day that you feel overwhelmed by the anxiety). I liked that one much better and it worked well along with the occasional glass of hops, and my own prayers and meditations, and music therapy as well ...

Some times I did pace the floors at night and didn't even like to be alone; so glad to have my pets and my DH helped me a lot then too. That part is mostly gone now; but I am still glad to have my boy with me all the time (my dog, NIKO) ... he is a great comfort to me!

I was told by my doctor that if things didn't get better that there are some kinds of natural estrogen replacements that can be considered. Something to think about, if that becomes necessary in the future.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 AM   #8  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

Try 5-HTP. They sell it at Walgreens. It will take about 2-3 days to really kick in but you should get some sleep from day 1.
I have been an insomniac for years and was taking 3-6 Tylenol Pm to sleep. I have been on the 5-HTP for about a month now with no side effects and even if I miss taking them I sleep.
Check to make sure it is ok for you to take first.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

Happy to report that I slept 8 hours last night! This morning I'm taking some SamE to help me with energy, and I plan to busy all day long so that I can go to bed tired and sleep again.

Thanks to everyone for the support!

Georgia
Old 06-23-2009, 02:52 AM   #10  

May be due to menopause. Hope you can improve your sleep.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote