Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #16  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I am also GF. I found that the crunchy corn tortillas work great as a crisp bread. I put sliced cheese or different kinds of spreads, tuna or egg salad, all kinds of things work. Not quite the same as bread, but as already mentioned, a mindset change opens up new eating experiences.
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 263/256.2/140

Height: 5'2"

I have not been diagnosed with celiac disease, but I am looking into going gluten free to see if it is one of my problems. I have been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis so I don't know if all my gi problems are from that or something else. Even when the UC is under controll, I still get some symptoms. I love wheat everything, especially crackers, but I have noticed I have more problems when I eat them or any pasta. It might be worth a try!
Starfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 218/210/175

Height: 5'11''

One of my best friends (who is a vegetarian and lactose intolerant) has Celiac's disease, and she lost a ton of weight. It's very important to make sure you find things you CAN eat. Focus on fruits and veggies, and I recommend buying books to guide you in your eating.

Last edited by Lahlem; 01-27-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Lahlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 268/249/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPitBullSmiles View Post
If you make specialty GF cupcakes... I'd so break my diet for that. Mmmmm.....
I currently like Bob's Red Mill Chocolate Cake mix for making cupcakes at home. I haven't invested into making any new recipes yet. I'm slowly working my way through what's already on the market and training my palate to what all the GFree alternatives already taste like. Chocolate seems the easiest to replicate so far. I would love to develop a good Italian creme cake flavor and a carrot cake.

I tried the new Betty Crocker GFree yellow cake mix - total bomb. it was horrible. didnt rise and was very gritty.
eclecticlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/207/130

Height: 5"6

Default Bread

I have had allergy testing and I am allergic to several foods...that include soy, corn, nuts and gluten. I've am able to stay away from these for he most part, but I have a hard time with eating 200 calories just for two pieces of gluten free bread. Is there such a thing as low calorie gluten free bread or am I doomed to eat my sandwich fixings on lettuce?
dundun1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 215/207/130

Height: 5"6

Talking

I think I found a bread that is low calorie and gluten free. It took 4 days of searching online, but here is the link if anyone is interested. It's 45 calories per slice and it's free of gluten, wheat, casein, dairy, egg, soy, nuts and corn!
I can't post the link because I only have 4 posts so PM me.
dundun1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #22  
dougs wife sarahs mommy

S/C/G: 210/194/165

Height: 5'6

my hubby and i are gluten intolerant but not celiac. For that reason we are raising our daughter gluten free and then she will be tested at 3 years old. If her numbers are still high she will remain on the GF diet and continue bringing her numbers down.

As for weight loss, its a struggle for me b/c i found a great baker who makes GF bread thats pretty much to die for and i could eat a loaf in one sitting. I'm doing my best to cut it out and when i do the weight goes down.
jenatgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #23  

Height: 5'4"

I did not lose any weight on a gluten free diet.

As for yummy breads..

Never buy rice bread. buy TAPIOCA bread. It is lighter. I just made some grilled cheese sandwiches with it that weren't horrible.

You need to go to a healthfood store or a grocery that has a health food section to buy GF items. The frozen bread is yuck unless it's mcKormick english muffins. Get the bread on the shelf in the wraps get tapioca. Seattles is really good.

There are bread mixes in that aisle bye gluten free pantry. The favorite sandwhich or the one with a french bread loaf on the front is very very good and very simple to make. GF dough is very sticky. Throw in all the ingredients and put the dough in the bread mold BEFORE raising. You might need to put it in the oven on low to get it to raise. Then cook. If making a pizza you can't roll it out. Put suran wrap over the top of your dough on the cookie sheet and use a glass or your fingers and mush it out evenly. Makes a decent pizza (the french bread one works as pizza dough also)

I never use red mills as they use fava beans and those make me gag.

There's tons of gf food in the gf aisle. Call around your health food stores. Even the tiny ones usually have a fridge with frozen pizzas or a shelf with gf products.

Also corn tortillas and rice noodles are not always gf free a lot of the time they are part rice and part wheat. Such as at the Mongolian grill.

The tinkyada noodles taste just like real noodles. They come in ALL shapes.
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 276

Height: 5ft 4in

Unhappy Seriously need help

Ok so I'm all sorts of a mess. I was diagnosed a month ago with Celiac. I have hypothyroidism. I also just came off birth control that I have been on for 12 years.
At first I lost a bunch of weight and now I'm gaining it back. I don't know what I"m doing wrong. Not only are my hormones all out of wack so is my body. I weight 264 and was 276 and at one point got down 18 lbs and now it is coming back. I don't know how to be gluten free and lose weight unless I do phase 1 of south beach for the rest of my life. The thing is I LOVE FRUIT. If i could understand how to be on Phase two and gluten free that be nice. But they want you to eat whole grain items and I CAN"T..... I need a dietician or something. They changed my blood pressure medicine too and I"m telling you I was on like 8 meds and now down to three. My body is freaking out. I'm emotional and OMG I'm trying not to scream now. I need help. Whatever help anyone can give or who to talk to or where to go would be great I'm desperate to lose weight and be healthy but I have no idea where to start anymore.
Thanks
patience7910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 184/179/145 Previous 198/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundun1021 View Post
I think I found a bread that is low calorie and gluten free. It took 4 days of searching online, but here is the link if anyone is interested. It's 45 calories per slice and it's free of gluten, wheat, casein, dairy, egg, soy, nuts and corn!
I can't post the link because I only have 4 posts so PM me.
The Bob Red Mills looks good, but who makes this? I'm not sure how to PM yet!
TracyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #26  

I was just told yesterday that I might have a gluten sensitivity. I've been having all kinds of stomach upsets and my doctor suggested I try to go gluten free for awhile and see how I do. The good news is that my colonoscopy results were just diverticulosis and I was worrying that things would be much worse. So, hearing that I might have to control my gluten intake is nothing in comparison to what I was worrying about.
I am interested in gluten free recipes and weight loss. Can I try to lose weight and figure out how to eat? I sure hope so.
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #27  

Hey all! I haven't been on this board in a while. I have been dealing with just getting better with my rheumatoid arthritis. I have been gluten free now for 1-1/2 months and have lost 10 pounds! That is with eating M&Ms and Ben&Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream (all G-free) a couple days a week.

I've been reading where if you have a gluten sensitivity and are obese that you can lose weight by simply avoiding gluten.

Derrydaughter...I am new to this too but a book that really helped me was Elisabeth Hasselbeck's G-Free ...I have read tons of info and I have found websites that are great too like celiac.com. Her book really helps lay out foods and cosmetics that are safe and not safe.

I applaud your doc for suggesting you do this. Most docs don't even consider gluten as a problem! I see a holistic MD and she does so I am lucky! I feel much better off gluten and the weight seems to just be coming off now with no problem! I am eating more fresh fruits and veggies and it feels great!

Last edited by Violet73; 05-05-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #28  

LeslieLou, thanks for the info. Are M+Ms really gluten free? Hallelujah! I've been really worrying that many of the things I rely on (not really M+Ms, though) have gluten in them. I would like to be gluten free in order to assess how I really feel and it's hard when you don't really know.
I would love it if some of you would list your "staples" here as far as what you know are reliably free of Gluten and maybe what you eat in a typical day. I really need help.
I did have gluten free rice pasta for dinner and I enjoyed it.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #29  

Do you truly have any gluten free cupcake recipes? I'm interested. We all need treats now and then even when trying to lose weight.
I'm also looking for some gluten free bread machine recipes as the gluten free breads in the stores are ultra expensive.
Where are you finding ingredients? Having trouble with that as well.
Have any of you made regular recipes you have and substituted gluten free flours? Any luck?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #30  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

subbing
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote