Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 06:04 PM   #1  

Default September Thyroid Thread

Here's the new thread for the month. How is everyone doing?
Old 09-04-2002, 02:26 PM   #2  

Hi Trixiepup,

At the top of the list!!!!!! well I am doing very well on people power but not on weight loss. Last month I felt abandoned and alone, this month started with two friends I had not seen in 2 years or so popping up on my doorstep with a bunch of flowers. Then some relatives who are moving away came to say their good byes (not my relatives) then I had a visit from an Austitic boy I know at day care centre called to see me as he was feeling so low. His family dont seem to care about him much and haveput him in sheltered housing to fend for himself. I feel I know where this boy (27) is coming from his mum has married again and new hubby wants no excess baggage, story sound familiar its like me all over again. I let him talk himself out feeling so alone and desperate totally lost poor lad. Then I let him teach me things on my computer so he felt important again. Then gave him the last of the trifle left from lunch time with all the cream, he was so overcome he wept at my kindness. Oh girls I saw me from 3 years old all over again, I must help him but dont know how. He is so intelligent under this terrible illness and often goes into a world of his own like they do, I also see much supressed anger from being treated like this after he had just paid for his parents trip to America for two weeks to visit his sister. I feel that he has been sent to me to guide him somehow by someone but dont know what to do to help. I can only tell him about me but he has an illness that he cant live by himself. All I can do is pray for him perhaps you could think of him in your prayers too his name is Jason.
love to all,
Vivienne
p.s. Forgot hope you all had fabulous week end
Old 09-07-2002, 11:29 AM   #3  

Hi all
Well after a bit of a loss I started gaining again. I have an appointment coming up and will get blood work done this week. I have not changed my eating and have been doing a bit of excercise. Now that the kids are back in school I'm going back to the injury recovery excercise class. It really helps with the range of motion. I'm really hoping that my thyroid counts are off again other wise I gave up potato chips for nothing!!! I will let you know once I get all the results! Have a great month!!!
Old 09-10-2002, 12:02 PM   #4  

Exclamation need help and encouragement BIG TIME

It's been a long time since I last looked at this website.

I know I need some encouragement, as well as, some insight into dealing with my thyroid/weight problem. I went to the doctor last week and discovered that I had gained another 25lbs within the last 4 months or so. At this rate, I am going to explode before I reach 40.

I feel like I have seen every doctor on this planet - I am at my whits end. I have been able to get on Armour thyroid verses Synthroid (big help!) but I don't think that's all I needed to do. I can't seem to find a good doctor who can dispense the medication properly, and I've yet to find someone who can help me with my weight. I have a fatty liver and suffer from depression, too. (take prozac for that) I am trying to find natural alternatives since conventional meds haven't been very successful. I am still tired most of the time, and lately my body has become very achy. I discovered that I have allergies to most meats, so I don't know how I would fare on one of the protein diets. I thought about going vegetarian, but I haven't a clue how to even begin in this area. I have a very busy life style, so I need to be able to fix meals that are healthy, but no so time consuming. Oh ladies (and those gents) I really need some help. I am so tired of being tired and of feeling sick and of being over weight and not having anyone who understands my situation. I hope with all my heart that someone out there can relate.

Thanks for still being here.

Skei
Old 09-11-2002, 02:47 PM   #5  

Hi. We all feel like that just sharing your thoughts will help. I too seem to be losing the battle of the bulge being disabled does noy help I just keep on trying. Just eat fresh veggies and some fruits not too acidy though. Can you tolerate dairy products? I cannot watch out for all those chemicals in packet and tinned stuff, thats where all my pain comes from the additives. Hope this helps a bit and the old standby drink plenty of fluids.
Vivienne
Old 09-11-2002, 04:12 PM   #6  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

vivienne, you seem like such a nice person! Take pride in that and have a super day - you deserve it!!!

Skei, I am having the same problems you are. The Prozac might be causing the muscle soreness because it affects dopamine levels. Ask your doc about your options. Diet CAN help but it is BEST if you do it for HELP and not weight loss. Two books that are absolutely essential for this are The Diet Cure by J. Ross and Eat Right for Your Type by Dr. D'Adamo. It is a difficult road but I can tell you that these two books can get you a 20% better within 4 weeks. If you want it you can do it. I made the mistake of wanting the weight loss more and as a result lost my willpower to be on a program, but I can say that it really does work.

Good luck to all!!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 10:48 PM   #7  

Thanks Tizme 2000 and jennifa. I have the book Eat Right for your Blood type - shame on me, but I haven't read it yet. I will, though. I agree with you about the additives, etc. Tizme 2000. I have been seeing a reflexologist who is trying to help me with my eating habits. She is planning to come by my house to go through my cupboards. She is very understanding and wants very much to help me regain my health. She originally suggested that I try to follow a yeast free diet, but she is very open to working with what each individual. Though I'm not looking forward to having her over to my house (it's a mess since I haven't been keeping up with it like i used to)I am looking forward to hearing what suggestions she has. I will let you know what she suggests.

It's very hard to switch to foods that aren't processed, since it's the processed foods that seem so quick and easy to fix. With a busy schedule, who wants to cook?? But...I am still trying to incorporate fresh veggies and fruit into my diet, and I'm trying to do away with the goodies and junk. I purchased a large jug hold the required days worth of water from a health food store. My goal is to drink the entire thing daily. I must admit, some days I empty it, and other days it stays full. Regardless, I won't give up trying.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I really needed it!! -)
Old 09-13-2002, 10:27 AM   #8  

Hi Again,

It sounds like you are getting to grips with everything well. Dont mind the house the cleaning will still be there when you are well and can tackle it. Its the one thing that doesnt disappear!!!!!!!!
I have been having shiatsu massage for a couple of weeks and am feeling much better she even said yesterday she thought my face looked thinner!!!! really must weight myself to see if shes right. I am going away toimorrow for a week to live on a beach in Somerset taking my paints and camera with me. Oh bliss. Anyone would think I never get to the beach but I only live four doors away from ours its just that I like a change of scene now and again. All of you have a happy weekend and keep well.
love
Vivienne
tizme2000
Old 09-13-2002, 12:30 PM   #9  

Tizme2000 - what is shiatsu massages? Sounds very interesting. Sounds like you have a wonderful week ahead of you. Hope you have tons of fun!! It's funny, but I love to paint, too. Only, the best I get to do these days is paint the inside of my house. I actually don't mind doing that, though. I love the show Changing Rooms, so I just imagine myself being on one of the episodes and I paint away. My husband is beginning to get scared, though, since I no longer believe in white walls - Color! the rooms need lots of Color!! Do you watch the show? If so, who is your favorite designer? I love Lawrence. Everyone seems to give him a difficult time, but I'd allow him to redo any room in my house any time he likes. Oh...and I do love "Handy-Andy" - I don't mind if he fixes something in my house, either. Perhaps I should break something just so he can fix it ....-)

Enjoy your change of scenery. I understand...change is good.
Michelle aka Skei
Old 09-16-2002, 11:42 AM   #10  

Hi, ladies, haven't been around for a couple of weeks but you are in my thoughts...just having too much to do. I have continued to maintain. Seems like I've got that down. But I want to lose a few so I can have some goodies during the holiday so I guess I better get with it. Increased my meds again...and I feel a little better so maybe we're getting close to the correct dosage. Been having rain - which we desperately need - so my asthma is not doing too well. I always forget during the summer how the damp and cold affect me, as well as wood smoke. Think I'll put a pot of soup on for dinner.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:47 PM   #11  

QuilterInVA - I have a question for you. Since I don't know you, I have no idea what your health situation is. I did, however, notice how much weight you have lost and was wondering if you would mind sharing what it is you are doing.

Thanks in advance!

Skei aka Michelle
Old 09-19-2002, 10:20 AM   #12  

I have asthma which limits the exercise I can do so I walk just one mile every day. If I'm having a good day, I'll walk a little farther. The doctor told me NOT to start exercising more than I was willing to do for the rest of my life or once I reached goal and cut back on exercise, I'd gain. Made sense and it works for me.

I follow the older WW exchange program. I lost my weight on it originally and it works for me. Every time I tried points, I gained.

I also worked with a nutritionist (2 appointments was all it took) to work out a plan to accommodate my hypothyrodism. I eat soy, raw broccoli and cauliflower sparingly since they affect it adversely. I am insulin resistant due to the hypo (you can be tested for this), so eat twice as much protein as starch. My 2 "splurges" for the week are microwave popcorn on the weekend and 1 small dessert, usually ice cream that is fat and sugar free.

In a typical day I have 8 protein, 4 starch, 4 fat, 3 fruit, 3 dairy and unlimited veggies. I allot myself 700 extra calories per WEEK for things like fat-free salad dressing, sugar-free jello, all the little things we use daily that do mount up or for something extra.

I don't deny myself anything. When I said I'll never eat potato chips again, they became an obsession. Now I'll have a yen for them maybe once every 2-3 months so I buy the smallest bag and parcel them out. I have lost my taste for cake and pie and cookies and I used to love them. Ice cream is still my red light food, and probably always will be.

I have done this for years now and it has become second nature. If I gain more than 5 pounds, I cut back until it is gone. I plan ahead for the holidays and lose 5 pounds before so I can enjoy all the seasonal treats and not feel guilty. I'm down 2 more pounds this month and want to lose 5 before Thanksgiving.

MODERATION is the key to everything.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:03 PM   #13  

QuilterInVA -

I just had to write to say that I am very impressed. I don't know much about the old WW way, since they were only doing the point system when I went. I have heard that soy was not good for people with thyroid problems, too, so I try to avoid it, as well. I didn't know about brocoli and cauliflower. I read somewhere that cabbage was another veggie to avoid. On the broc/caul, you wrote raw, does this mean they are okay as long as they are cooked?

I am also insulin resistant, so it looks like your way of doing things might be something I should look into. I know I need to walk - when I used to, I remember feeling so much better. Lately, my feet have begun to ache a lot, but usually after a treatment with the reflexologist, they feel better. Perhaps I will start a walking routine immediately after one of my treatments.

Thank you for providing me with insight into your life. This has give me much hope. I may have to print out your words and paste them to the fridge as a reminder that it is possible to beat this weight thing. Thanks again!!

skei aka michelle
Old 09-19-2002, 03:58 PM   #14  

It is my understanding that they are okay when cooked. The heat changes the thing that bothers the thyroid.

You have to be patient with yourself in this weight loss process. If you slip, immediately forgive yourself and get right back on your plan. A donut in the morning doesn't have to blow the whole day. The doctor and nutritionist both said the diabetic diet was used for insulin resistance which is pretty much what I do.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:09 PM   #15  

I've heard of the diabetic diet. I will look into it. I also found a diet that's suppose to be good for the liver and I have a fatty liver. So, I will compare the two and see what I can glean from the two of them. Thanks again!!

Michelle aka Skei
Closed Thread