Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #1  
ladychild.

S/C/G: ~266|Ticker|150

Height: 5'6-ish.

Question Does this sound like Hypothyroidism???

Hello, chicks!

I haven't posted for a while, but I try to read up on the community when I have time at work and such.

Anyway, I just saw a few posts on Hypothyroidism, and I believe that it is what I'm suffering from. I don't have health insurance and I live in MN and money is so tight - so I was hoping someone with the this issue could tell me if it is close to what they may be suffering.

First of all, I've had SEVERE hair loss last year. I lost about 1/3 the thickness of my hair - mainly on my crown / the peak closest to the tip of my head. For awhile, each time I brushed I would get a good 1/2 inch thick section of hair out - but that has actually stopped since this Summer '08. In fact, I hardly shed hair from my head now.

Now, its my eyelashes AND eyebrows that are falling out. I used to have thick, lush lashes and now they are sparse and just touching them, can I minus myself a few. The end corners of my eyebrows are missing now, too. Oh, and also, the rate in which I have to pluck the outgrow from my eyelashes always seems to increase. I have very dark regrowth, and very thick and long eyebrows. So I tweeze everyday for a good half an hour. If I don't, it is very noticeable on my light ivory skin.

Besides all this I'm pretty exhausted most of the time. I can gain weight more easily than I have ever before. And I'm depressed. I can't afford medical attention - and I'm afraid if I finally give up and go see a doctor, I will lose my chance to find health care because of any "preexisting medical conditions".

So if this sounds like Hypo to you - or something else . . I would just like to hear some opinions, either way. And if so, maybe some at home remedies I could do to stop excessive hair loss, or just to make me feel like I'm not walking through life in some sort of horrible fatigue.

Oh, and also, I have trouble getting words out now. Like the words I mean to say get replaced with something not to do with what I was trying to say. It is scary, and I am so embarrassed by how stupid I sound lately.

Any advice, if not someone to lean on is welcome.

Thanks, girls.

Anniemal ~

Last edited by Anniemal; 01-13-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Anniemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Those are common symptoms to hypothyroid, but hypothyroid symptoms overlap with so many other disorders, that only a blood test can determine whether it's hypothyroid or something else. There are no home remedies that would be safe. For example, if it is hypothryoid, I've heard of people using iodine supplements, or eating huge amounts of sea vegetables (seaweeds), but this can be dangerous, pushing you into hyperthyroid (especially if you don't actually have hypothyroid, or if you're not being closely monitored by a doctor).

For hair loss, there's minoxidil (Rogaine), but even though it's now over the counter, there are side effects and if you have something else going on, covering up the symptoms could make it worse.

Not trying to alarm you, but this really is something you should see a doctor for. I would suggest calling the health department, and talking to one of their nurses, because she could help you with determining the least costly way to get the screenings you need (some health departments have funding for such screenings they either do at the health department, or they may provide vouchers, or suggestions for finding the cheapest source of treatment). Also, some doctors give very good "cash" discounts, where you may pay as little as half, just by paying for the appointment up front, or with a deposit and arrangement for monthly payments).

Last edited by kaplods; 01-13-2009 at 06:32 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #3  
ladychild.

S/C/G: ~266|Ticker|150

Height: 5'6-ish.

Thank you, Kaplods! I will be calling the health department in my area today, and seeing the actual cost and recommendations given. Feeling this way, and having all these different symptoms has been very scary, and so hard to live with. Each time I ask my family - they just smugly reply . . "that is why you need health insurance." But my job doesn't offer any, and I'm just barely floating by with bills. It is so nice to hear someone give some real advice. Thanks again. ~A.
Anniemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/275/160

Hi Anniemal,

I have had the same symptoms as you and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few years ago. Another one of my main symptoms was feeling cold all the time. I would get chilled so bad I shook even in the summer. But, as Kaplods said, the only way to be sure is to have a blood test.

Also, like you, I have no health insurance. In my area, some of the hospitals have health fairs during which they offer over $300.00 worth of blood work for $12.00. A thyroid panel is included and this is how I was first diagnosed. I have since had to pay for blood tests that tested for antibodies against my thyroid because these were not part of health fair lab work. I still take advantage of this deal every year to make sure I have no changes.

Maybe there is something like this near you. Ask at the health department if you haven't already found out. Of course, the problem would be if there is one going on right now when you need it.
DebbieInKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #5  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Yes that's true. Local health departments can help you obtain resources to have a medical exam. Hope to hear back from you soon.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote