Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #1  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Ovarian Cyst stories: (dunno if this is the right place for this)

Hello ladies!
I've officially been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. (not PCOS, or anything--just one big one..) If this is the wrong place for this, I'm sorry!!

I'm 23 (if anyone is curious!)

Long story shortened (moderately.. lol):
I have been feeling off for about a year, and started feeling full/bloated/constipated about 6 months ago--doctor said it was just my intestines (which makes sense, if I'm saying I'm constipated)--Anyhoo.

So I went in to the doctor on Tuesday and told her my concerns (SUPER bad pains on the left--figured I had a minor ovarian cyst on that side) -- We did the normal pelvic exam, and she couldn't find anything, but took me seriously and set up an appointment for the "innie/outie" ultrasounds the next day. (like my technical terms?)

When I went in, I noticed the technician was taking a LOT of pictures of the right. Also--she told me my bladder was full when it wasn't... I was close to tears cause I thought that I had cups and cups of pee and couldn't take care of it!!!
So I went to work and got "the call" from my doctor the next day. She said that what they could see (from the ultrasound) was a 22cm ACROSS ovarian cyst (originating from the right side--guess that's why the majority of ultrasounds were there!), and I need to go in again to get an MRI so they can see exactly what's going on.

I went in on Friday to get my MRI, and I DID get to keep my images! (I won't post them HERE to save anyone from upset stomachs if you're prone--but there will be some soon on my blog) and it looks like someone put a waterballoon in my lower-stomach (which I lovingly call my thorax). -- My bladder is FLATTENED against my pelvic bone because of this!! (no wonder she thought it was full!)
The cyst extends from above my belly-button to below my pelvic bone. From hip to hip, as well as "hugs" my back and extends my belly to the point that I've been asked 3 times if I'm expecting! (From people I KNOW!)

The doctor said during "the call" that she wants it surgically removed within the week. I hear from her tomorrow for instructions and consult referrals. I'm pretty much at terms with the situation (scared about stupid things like catheters and being intebated, and more serious things like if I will lose my ovarie(s) because of this)

I saw that someone in March 07 had some ovarian cyst problems--where she had a sizable one (though, it was as big around as mine is across)--and I'm wondering if anyone has stories about any cysts that are/were super-huge. And what happened? lol -- maybe I want to hear.... Maybe I'll get scared. lol

Anyways--I may be going in to surgery before I get to read any of this, but I'd love to hear your stories if you're willing to share them
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #2  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Wow, ouch!

I had a large cyst (not nearly as large as yours) that turned out to be more than one (membranes inside). I lost the right ovary because the surgeon discovered a tumor under the cysts. I still have the left one, but it makes me sad to be facing early menopause, and it scares me I won't end up having children.

By the way, still get tested for PCOS if you have any other symptoms.

It took me some time to recover overall. It did make me feel better to get up and moving around in the hospital once I felt like I could handle it. Rest and take care of yourself. Don't try to lift anything - they aren't kidding when they say that, I found. You will not believe how much better you feel when you get your health back.

Good luck with the surgery!
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #3  
Jig, Don't Jog

S/C/G: 185.2/154.6/135

Height: 5'5"

Thanks, Ufi! I'm still waiting for my call from the doctor, and I'm going BONKERS...
All I'm keeping in mind is how much better I'll feel

I'm so sorry you lost your ovary, though. Do they give you a general timeline for the early menopause thing? Or--because we're all different-- they don't have answers?
I was worried about early menopause for myself before all this: I started my period at 8, and my mom hit menopause at 40-- so I don't really have high hopes for myself (without losing an ovary).

How long (about) was your recovery time? And how did they take the cyst out? Some of my family is CONVINCED I'll be able to do the "belly button surgery"--but it just seems far too big for that..
weegreenlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #4  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

My doctor told me that I need to work on getting pregnant before 40. I'm now 36 1/2 and not in a relationship. I started my cycle when I was 11. My mom went through menopause in her early 50s, so that's an indication maybe.

They did do a belly button surgery for me, but you're right about the size being an uncertainty for you. I was off of work for a week, although I tend to push myself so maybe should have taken a bit more time, but I didn't really feel like I was over the surgery for a couple of months. Just low energy mostly. I don't do well with anesthesia, though, so that could be a factor.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Be very glad it's being taken care of BEFORE it ruptures. That is pain you want no part of.

I had one rupture when I was 18. The whole process took a couple of weeks before I was in so much pain I collapsed. I was very very lucky that nothing worse happened.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote