Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 267/261/145

Height: 5'2

Good morning everyone, Thanks for the mug cake recipe Candice. I'm almost afraid to try it....can't keep losing weight trying these little ditties...
Mima, it sounds like you have definitely had your share of problems. I hope you can find some relief soon. Yes, it is me that takes the Tramadol. I find it has helped more than other meds. I just have to remember to take it on schedule to avoid the flair-ups that take forever to get control of. I take 2 tablets first thing in the morning with 2 ibuprofen and 2 again in the afternoon around 3-4. Sometimes I might need to take 1 around noon if it's a bad day. They don't make me feel like I am walking around in a fog like the other pain meds do so I like that part of it. I can function normally and for a big gal, I am very active....on the go all day long. But because Tramadol is codeine based, I can see why some people might have a problem taking it. It seems to affect breathing, can cause stomach ills and can constipate you. I have had none of the above so I am fortunate.
Need to get my pizza sauce on for Saturday night. I like to make it a couple of days ahead to "marry" the flavors. Making Chicken en Papillote tonight which is great because it is easy and mess free. Hubby starts his 2 weeks off today...not returning to work until after the holidays. Just wish they paid him for the whole two weeks and not just the two holiday days. Such is life! We'll just have to make do with the stocked freezer. And Happy, I did buy a small turkey breast for Christmas dinner. I will make a whole wheat stuffing and mashed sweet potatoes to go with it. Not sure about throwing out the leftovers though...my mother was a very frugal woman and would roll over in her grave if I threw out any food! I even make bread crumbs from my stale whole wheat bread slices and freeze little bags of them. And I grate off lemons and oranges when I use them and store the rind in the freezer as well for those recipes that call for flavors in my mediterranian dishes. Do I sound nuts?? Oh well...I am convinced we do become our mothers.
I hope everyone has a great day....off to get that sauce on. Kate

Last edited by Kate53; 12-18-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #32  

Thanks Kate-I took 1 37.5 and it really worked but I couldn't go back to sleep this am and could not take a nap. Now i have to drive so I did not take another one. I took an extra strength tylenol. Put a call into my rheumo at home and the nurse is going to check with doc about interaction with anti -depressants.
Tenant has bronchitis and pneumonia-can't go to the shelter because he doesn't want to leave his dog. Slept in his car-sure hope the power goes back on.
PT Bye Mima
Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #33  

Hi Mima, sorry to see your tenant has no place to go with his dog...I can relate as I am a HUGE animal lover. I would never leave my pet behind and God knows there are not enough shelters that take pets. I hope they find suitable accomodations.....or that the power is on soon. I will think positive thoughts for them.
The Tramadol tablets dispensed all read 37.5 mg. That must be the standard dosage. Depending on your situation, you can double the dose......just be sure to note any difficulties with breathing as that seems to be the number one concern. I personally don't see the issue with this but there must be some history of side effects marking this problem. I hope this works for you. I too have issues falling asleep at night. Once I get "there" I am fine but the actual relaxing and dozing off is hard to come by. I've started taking 3 mg of an all natural melatonin at night but have these weird dreams with it . Not sure what causes the initial sleep inducement issue but once I relax and get comfortable, I sleep deep and sound. It could be related to my diet as well. Protein gives your body extra energy and if I don't burn it off during the day, it might be what is keeping me wide-eyed at night. When I get tired enough, I will sleep regardless...and here's one for all you dog-lovers out there. Great Pyrenees are notoriously nocturnal...yep, all night-in-your-face-attention-barkers!! Only a few nights a month and usually during the full moon phase but what an experience. Makes you want to leave home sometimes. Love my girl to death but didn't see this in the breed discription.
I wish everyone a good evening. Kate
Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #34  

Ice
Old 12-19-2008, 03:55 AM   #35  

The power is on-like a person on death row-a last minute intervention-Praise God. And we thank a;; who helped us durng the week.
My rheumo back home does not want me to take that med. He's concerned about it's addictive property among other things. I will save it for when one of us is in a lot of pain. It's only my back and foot now. And I couldn't sleep all day-no back to bed and no nap.But it did work. And it seems to work for you, Kate. Maybe they can get together and agree on something, After Christmas. Doc at home is going to be off-he has 7 kids and his wife died in 2001-he is a saint,
Well-6 hours sleep- we took our neighbor to see her husband in the hospital and then out to eat, We shopped for shoes but as usual, I couldn't find my size.
Bye for now-Mima
Old 12-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #36  

Mima, glad the power came back on...ours is going on and off all night, we have lots of ice out there now....what is tramadol???????????Does it have another name?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #37  

Good morning everyone! Another beautiful day in Florida! Sorry, don't mean to rub it in to you folks in ice country. Mima, so glad to hear the power is back on and everyone will be warm and safe. On another note, I do hope your doctors find something they agree on AND that it works for you. Candice, another name for Tramadol is Ultram, but I believe Ultram has added acetominophen. I was given the Tramadol because I take ibuprofen with it. Tylenol (acetominophen) doesn't seem to work for me. Actually Mima, I didn't think it was considered a high risk med for addiction....not like Vicodin or Percoset. And I can get it through my insurance's mail-order pharmacy so it must not be considered a "class?" substance or they wouldn't accept the prescription to mail out with 90 day refills. Strange? Who can understand the way these health companies and doctors work now a days!
Hubby is home for two weeks now....not sure if this is going to be good or not! My routine doesn't need any interferences so if he gets annoying I'll just start asking him to do things.... he will disappear fast enough! Hope everyone stays warm and enjoys the day.
Kate

Last edited by Kate53; 12-19-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #38  

Tramadol can be very addictive ... depending on how often you take it. I have some but don't take it very often. If I take it during the day, it makes me sleepy; if I take it at night, I sleep good for about 4-5 hours then wake up and can't go back to sleep. It does help the pain, though. I actually like Darvocet better. I can take it during the day without feeling druged out of my mind and I can take it at night for pain. I have taken it for years yet have never become addicted to it. Sometimes, when I hit a good (maybe I should just say 'better') spell, I'll make myself lay off of it for a few days just to make sure I'm NOT addicted. I usually take one or two a day on semi-bad days ... today (a dark, rainy, foggy day) I've had three!! Don't usually have that many. I also like liquid Tylenol in the mornings with a hot shower ... gets me going. I think with any pain medication and especially an opiate based pain med. you need to get yourself off it for a few days at least once a month if you are taking it regularly and make sure you are not addicted!

MORE INFO ON TRAMADOL ADDICTION:

Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain reliever.

Tramadol is used to treat moderate to severe pain. Tramadol extended-release is used to treat moderate to severe chronic pain when treatment is needed around the clock.

Tramadol may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Important information about tramadol
You should not take tramadol if you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol.
Seizures (convulsions) have occurred in some people taking tramadol. You may be more likely to have a seizure while taking tramadol if you have a history of seizures or head injury, a metabolic disorder, or if you are taking certain medicines such as antidepressants, muscle relaxers, or medicine for nausea and vomiting.

Take tramadol exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take it in larger doses or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Do not take more than 300 milligrams of tramadol in one day.

Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. A tramadol overdose can be fatal. Overdose symptoms of a tramadol overdose may include drowsiness, shallow breathing, slow heartbeat, extreme weakness, cold or clammy skin, feeling light-headed, fainting, or coma. Tramadol may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Tramadol should never be given to another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it. Tramadol can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Do not stop using tramadol suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, sweating, nausea, diarrhea, tremors, chills, hallucinations, trouble sleeping, or breathing problems. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication. Do not crush the tramadol tablet. This medicine is for oral (by mouth) use only. Powder from a crushed tablet should not be inhaled or diluted with liquid and injected into the body. Using this medicine by inhalation or injection can cause life-threatening side effects, overdose, or death.
Before taking tramadol
You should not take tramadol if you have ever been addicted to drugs or alcohol, if you are currently intoxicated (drunk), or if you have recently used any of the following drugs:
alcohol;

narcotic pain medicine;

sedatives or tranquilizers (such as Valium);

medicine for depression or anxiety;

medicine for mental illness (such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia); or

street drugs.

Seizures have occurred in some people taking tramadol. Your risk of a seizure may be higher if you have any of these conditions:

a history of drug or alcohol addiction;

a history of epilepsy or other seizure disorder;

a history of head injury;

a metabolic disorder; or

if you are also taking an antidepressant, muscle relaxer, or medicine for nausea and vomiting.

Tramadol may be habit-forming. Tell your doctor if you feel the medicine is not working as well in relieving your pain. Do not change your dose without talking to your doctor. Do not stop using tramadol suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, sweating, nausea, diarrhea, tremors, chills, hallucinations, trouble sleeping, or breathing problems. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication. Store tramadol at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep track of how many pills have been used from each new bottle of this medicine. Tramadol is a drug of abuse and you should be aware if any person in the household is using this medicine improperly or without a prescription.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #39  

Yikes!!! Well, I couldn't sleep-finally catching up but I am in so much heel pain.
Thinking of acupuncture. Chiro's office has it. It's almost 2 months!!
One of my friends called me last night-she is spending her first Christmas as a widow. I should have called her. She thanked me for how nice I was when her husband was dying. I felt bad because I hadn't been in touch.
Brad wants to go to BJ's. Wonder if they have electric shopping carts.
I can't let him go alone.
Tenant is quite sick. That always means no rent but I feel bad and hope he gets well-no pipes froze. thank God. I called my brother because he said he would go over there today-I said no leaks-he thought I said no heat and why
hadn't I called him in the morning. Duh!!!
Bye for now. Mima
Old 12-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #40  

Good morning all, Another one of those Florida days.... but I am jealous of those who will have a white Christmas!! (Hope that makes the snow country folks feel better.) Meme, I was so surprised with all that info you posted for Tramadol. Even the drug info sheet that comes with my prescription didn't mention all that stuff. See what I mean about these doctors and pharmacy companies? Never can tell what's what with the way they do things....
I am fortunate by the sounds of your info that this medication works for me. I don't feel any different when taking it other than lessening of discomfort of the FM. As for the addiction, hopefully not, since I have often forgotten to take it and have had no ill effects.
Our neighbor just had surgery yesterday for a malignant tumor on his adrenal gland. I sure hope they got it all. This is the 3rd round for him (having had radiation and chemo already) so we hope this will buy him a few more years.
Off to finish my prep for pizzas tonight. Company coming so it should be a fun evening. Hope everyone enjoys their day.
Kate
Old 12-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #41  

I used to take Ulram but it made me anxious and nauseated......just coding now but hardley ever it makes me feel ill too.

Hello....you would not believe the day or night I had yesterday....this house is driving me nuts, we love it and the location but we keep finding things wrong that the previous owner had to know about, let's just say they got a really good deal!

Well.....I dosed off for a few hrs in the morning and on my way to bed around 11 AM DH says there is something wet on the floor (but he couldn't investigate or figure it out by himself) (he thought it might be the dog) NOT,,,,,,, The whole area infront of the fireplace and under the windows (about a 4x12 area was soaked), must have been one mighty full bladder on the dog!LOL The dogs bed was saturated, no big deal threw in the dryer, and then got the rainbow out and sucked up 3 gallons of water. We thought maybe the ice on the deck was some how leaking in so we proceeded to clean the deck and the siding and the gutters of ice. NO FUN!!!!!!! Thought we solved our problem so off to bed I went not even thinking to check another room...I was so tired couldn't think. Got up at 10pm...and checked the other rooms....and of course there was more water (dh had told me he checked and there was none.(men) This is all carpeted area and the carpet is only 3 weeks old. I had all my wrapped presents in the back bedroom and they were all soaked so I had to take them all apart and use the hairdryer and rewrap!!!!!!!!! WE have the fireplace going, two floor fans, 3 ceiling fans and 3 space heaters to help dry the carpet out. What the "h" do you think caused this??????? This is a 5 year old home?????? The windows are andersen doublehung..could it be them? Do you think it was the ice storm? Good thing we do not have much furniture yet or it would be ruined...the wood just soaked up the water on the few things we had.

WEll I need to get some rest, taking an Amien cr to sleep, I will not make DH's family christmas...(no big deal)....
Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #42  

Default Hey There

Candice- I would be yelling and upset is not the right word.. Hope you can get it resolved.
Hello all Joanne
Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #43  

ON top of all the water sucking up...I fell on the ice..am sore from head to toe! Big bruise on my left hip and it hurts so bad to sit! Put my Turkey breast in the oven for WEd....so far power is staying on, it smells so good...gotta go wrap stuff now if I can move!
Old 12-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #44  

I would bet it is the ice-awful and falling on top of that!! Feel better.
Glad you can take the tramadol, Kate. Tour poor neighbor.
Wow for riding an electric cart in Bj's-didn't dare try it in Walmart-too crowded but if I go early. I will.
Awakr at 2:30-wish we hadn't said we would go to early service/can always call Joyce and change I guess.
Computer is driving me crazy-bye for now. Mima
Old 12-21-2008, 04:08 AM   #45  

your poor neighbor
Closed Thread