Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Onsecondthought - I'm impressed that your doc is running the Free T3 and Free T4 tests....that's great....but as you said she may not know what to do with the results, especially if she only prescribes T4 products.

A Free T3 result below the range is NOT fine and can make you feel like a big pile of poop!!! most people with a thyroid problem find that they need their Free T3 result to be in the upper one third of the range (or even higher) to feel good, especially if they are dealing with mental problems like depression, anxiety, ocd, etc. No wonder your doc thinks you need an antidepressant....your Free T3 result is way too low and you would notice a world of difference if you could get some direct T3 like in Armour.

If you cannot get your doc to switch you to Armour and you do not want to change docs at this point, then you could ask her to prescribe Cytomel which is a synthetic T3 product and can be added to Synthroid. If she isn't willing to do that...then I would find a doc that prescribes Armour.

I prefer to take Armour that contains both T3 and T4 and is a natural product (made from a pigs thyroid), rather than taking two synthetic products (synthroid & cytomel) but some people do ok on them.

I'm really glad you've checked out the info at STTM. did you happen to see the info on depression at:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...mental-health/

and in particular the info on that page about the connection between low T3 and depression an other mental problems.

Also high cholesterol is a hypo symptom or another indicator that you are undertreated on the synthroid.

I have not had the pains you've mentioned, but as best I can tell I have not dealt with adrenal fatigue.

take care,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote