Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #1  
ashlovesherfennecfox

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5' 5"

Unhappy Does bipolar disorder count??

I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for 2 years and now that I am starting to understand my actions and habits I've noticed that some mornings I wake up feigning for food when really I'm not hungry at all. But unfortunately to get it off my mind so that I can move on with my day, I end up eating whatever looks appetizing as opposed to something healthier.

Some days it's the same but with exercise. I wake up, watch a little TV, do some homework for about an hour and out of nowhere I just jump up, change my clothes and take a 2 or 3 mile bike ride. It feels great but then I don't want to workout at all for the rest of the day.

Other days I just don't get hungry until late in the day at about 3:00 p.m. Then I pig out. Is this my bipolar disorder? Or is it all in my head? If so, have any of you dealt with this before? Or does anyone know how to deal with this?

Thank you all.
ashlovesherfennecfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

ASH ~ not really sure this has anything to do with BIPOLAR DISORDER really (I am a Social Worker). I would recommend that you plan your meals out, writing them down and stick to the plan; and don't skip any meals. Don't go by your feelings; as feelings can go up and down, and all around ... as you probably already know.

About the exercise, maybe you can break it up into 2 or 3 smaller sessions a day, but if you want to do it all at once in the morning, I don't see why you can't. You can also try to do some walking during the day; like at school and housework counts too.

Sometimes we eat out of habit, but maybe your body needs a good daily vitamin with minerals to make sure that you are getting all the nutrients you need, esp is you have not been eating at regular times. Also try to make sure that you eat a balanced diet and drink some water each day.

Hope this helps a bit ... Rosebud
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #3  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

ashlovesherfennecfox to 3fc and to this board nice to hear from you.

I was a psychiatric nurse for many years and have some knowledge of bipolar disorder. Like Rosebud said it is more than likely not your bipolar disorder unless you are not following medical advice. If not following medical advice then the different phases of the disorder can appear more frequently. In the manic phase of the illness at its height eating may just not enter your head as your thoughts are racing by at 200mph. Like many in the phase of depression we eat for comfort and a piece of cake looks far more appetising than an apple. ( I have had bouts of depression myself throughout my life so know what it can be like to some degree)

Rosebud has given some great sound advice on exercise by breaking it up. Maybe charting food in something like fitday would be useful in seeing how you can break this cycle that you are in. For me it was an eye opener knowing how many calories were in some things I was munching on. I made changes slowly rather than overnight that way I was able to adjust to my healthier new eating plan. I use to have a terrible diet as I did not care about myself I saw I had MS and why bother caring for myself. Though the kick up the backside for me was my mobility was ebbing away from me fast and I cherished that. So either I did something or end up in a wheelchair within a year to 18 months. So I figured it did matter what I put in my mouth I was worth caring for no matter what I had.

Good luck with moving into more healthy eating plan and achieving your goals along the way.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote