Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

Default Looking for input re: really slow weight loss

Warning: novel about me!!! I feel like I do this every so often, but I'd like some input:

OK, I'm not losing weight like I should. I'm gaining. I've gained 4 lbs that have stayed with my for 7 days. I've been working out almost every day. I've been tracking my food more than usual, and most days I eat between 1500-2200 calories a day, and in exercise I burn 400-700 (on my HRM, the machines show a 600-1100 burn). I'm 40, 5'5", and weigh about 195 .

I try to keep my HR between 120-150 for about 60-90 minutes when I workout. I want to stay fat burning. I "bonk" when my HR gets about 160, and I get that amonia smell when my HR gets above 155. Therefor it takes more time to burn though 500 calories. I also have a hard time running b/c my runing HR is around 160. So I've been using running as intensity intervals with walking on teh TM.

My other concern is that my stomach does not seem to be getting any smaller. This week, I feel like is is bigger. I did consume more wheat and dairy (crackers, cheese and milk) on teh days that I had that migraine. I have avoided alcohol for 6 weeks (I think I get beer bloat when I drink). I have been doing my usual core exercises (about 10-20 min 4 times a week), but I have missed my 30 min bi-weekly core class that I was taking (interferes with dd's swim lessons)

My calorie intake is probably on teh high side, but I do like to eat and I feel hungry often. I do try to eat fruits and vegetables 1st, but there are days that I don;t deny myself ice cream, or choc covered raisins, nuts.. and those are teh days that I go over 2000 cal. I'm not sure if you can see this, but here's my food log on TDP. I am embarassed about some of the food that I eat, but here it is:
http://www.thedailyplate.com/users/myplate/

I'm due to see my internal med Dr in a few weeks. I am hypo thyroid, and I take synthroid. my blood tests 12 and 6 months ago show that my script is correct (she actually could have lowered it, but I begged her not to)

What else could I ask her to test for? She tested me for PCOS 12 months ago.. maybe with my A1C, and she said that I am not insulin resistant. My othe rblood work, blood pressure, HDL, LDL, triglycerides, were all good #'s. Oh, I used to drink a lot.... 1-2 glasses of wine 3-5 nights a week, and a good 4-8 beer "party" or social event once every 1-3 weeks. I've cut back to drinking maybe once a month.. for calorie savings but more to keep myslef from becoming too dependent/familiar with/in a habit on alcohol. ANd I drank like that (avoiding in pregnancy) for 22 years. Could my liver be shot and my liver be making my stomach look fat???

Another thing I am considering. At my gym, for $100 each, they offer Resting metabolic rate testing and metabolic assessment profile. they hook you up to an oxygen mask on a TM, and run you through HR levels to find how many calories your body burns at rest for teh 1st. Teh 2nd tells yoru exact metabolic fitness level and optimal HR zone to acheive weight loss goals. I'm thinking about the 2nd, just to give me guidance.. but it's a lot of $$$

TFR, adn I do apperciate any advice.
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #2  

I think you might be eating too much. Also if you eat a lot of carbs it can keep you bloated. It may take a few months to get the full effect of quitting drinking to take effect. It would be most helpful if you would post what you eat for a day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote