Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/174/135

Height: 5'7"

Arrow Thyroid and weight loss

Just wanting anyone with hypothyroid and has had success with weight loss to share their diet and exercise plan besides just low-carb and cardio/strength training. Say a day or 2 of what you do - how many carbs, how many meals (3 or 6 mini), 30 min of cardio or more, strength training, etc

Thanks!!!

Iffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Iffy, I just wanted to assure it that it IS possible to lose weight and be hypothyroid. I'm living proof, as are other folks on this site. I've been maintaining at this weight for the last year, but when I was losing, I was eating a lower carb than the typical American diet. My diet varies so much from day to day that there really isn't a single plan to share but I'll try - oatmeal or veggie omelet for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, a protein (chicken breast, ground turkey, beef, pork loin, etc) with at least 2 - 3 servings of veggies. I usually have an afternoon snack (fruit or yogurt) and a sugar free popsicle for dessert before bed. My main exercise has been walking or the elliptical, with some strength training, although not as much as I should be doing. Good luck!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/234/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Wow!

Tammy you are such an inspiration!

160 lbs!
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

Thank you PhoenixRising.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #5  

Jtammy,

How much lower than the usual American diet is your carb intake?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

Looking back at fitday, I was averaging between 100 - 150 grams per day, still a lot of carbs compared to a low carb diet, but lower than the typical American diet. My carbs are higher now but I'm not really trying to lose. I have to keep my carbs lower to lose. I found that I lost easier with higher fat and lower carb, of course, your mileage may differ.

Oh - these carbs were almost entirely veggies, fruit, or whole grains. No sugar, white flours or white rice.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
Looking back at fitday, I was averaging between 100 - 150 grams per day, still a lot of carbs compared to a low carb diet, but lower than the typical American diet. My carbs are higher now but I'm not really trying to lose. I have to keep my carbs lower to lose. I found that I lost easier with higher fat and lower carb, of course, your mileage may differ.

Oh - these carbs were almost entirely veggies, fruit, or whole grains. No sugar, white flours or white rice.
Thanks! That gives me some good guidelines - I'm not sure if I could go down to 30-50 carbs total per day especially with exericising - I get weak, dizzy, etc. So I've been working on reducing carbs but not too low and not eating sugar, white flours or white rice.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #8  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

If your medically being treat there is absolutely no reason it should effect your weight loss. I've had it for about 5 years now, it runs in my family.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/190/140-160

Height: 5'5"

I'm hypo, adn I do think it affects my weight loss efforts. I am losing, but very slowly. I eat 1400-1800 cal a day on teh days that I track. all whole foods. I work out 4-6 days a week, 60-120 minutes each, keeping my avg HR 120-130. My HRM shows that I burn 400-700 calories each workout (Thts's what I aim for). I also lift weights a few times a week. I'm losing 1/2 to 1 lb a week doing this.

In between one of my pregnancies, I strted losting weight without trying too hard. 2 weeks later at my Dr appt, then lowered my script and I started gaining again. Anyway, for me, I think my body needs more of the thyroid hoirmone than the blood work shows
tigerchic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #10  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

I'm hypothyroid, and I've lost weight through calorie counting and exercise.

I think you can choose the plan that works for you. I know that women with PCOS do best with low carb, but I don't think hypothyroidism limits your choices.
As long as you work hard, you can do it!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote