Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #31  
Losin' it

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb

Vitamin D deficeincy is very common with thyroid issues. I've also finally gotten a doctor to acknowledge that high blood pressure and high choloesterol is also common with thyroid issues, well on the autoimmune side anyway. It's only taken...forever for dr's to figure this stuff out while we suffer. smh. On my last checkup my levo was upped to 75 mcg and the dr told me he wasn't worried about my cholesterol etc because it would come down as my tsh normalized again which was a relief because for years I've had dr's try pushing meds at me for cholesterol and I always refused because I've done my research.

Learn what you can, grill those that have knowledge, because this will be your armor when you go into that dr office and the dr knows absolutely nothing and tries telling you that you're fine when you know that you aren't. The stop the thyroid madness book is a fantastic read. Another one y'all should read (if you haven't already) is Why do I still have Thyroid Symptoms When my Labs are Normal?...or something like that. O_o I have somewhat of a health library at home after years of research :-)
MsModelSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #32  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've read several books that discuss research finding links between Vitamin D and autoimmune disease. There's quite a bit of evidence (well over a dozen studies) that found a link between Vitamin D and autoimmune disease. The connection is strong enough that it's now a common theory that Vitamin D deficiency may actually cause autoimmune disease and that Vitamin D can be used to improve autoimmune symptoms. Some experts believe that the connection may not be causal (for example arguing that autoimmune disease might deminish Vitamin D levels - so people with autoimmune disease may benefit from Vitamin D supplementation, but that the deficiency is caused by, not causing the autoimmune issues).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #33  
Losin' it

S/C/G: see ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I've read several books that discuss research finding links between Vitamin D and autoimmune disease. There's quite a bit of evidence (well over a dozen studies) that found a link between Vitamin D and autoimmune disease. The connection is strong enough that it's now a common theory that Vitamin D deficiency may actually cause autoimmune disease and that Vitamin D can be used to improve autoimmune symptoms. Some experts believe that the connection may not be causal (for example arguing that autoimmune disease might deminish Vitamin D levels - so people with autoimmune disease may benefit from Vitamin D supplementation, but that the deficiency is caused by, not causing the autoimmune issues).
Exactly. A lot of dr's wil mistakenly tell people to take rx D which is D2 and most people cannot absorb that form of D. It's best to take D3 which is more readily available to the body, AND try to get some sun on your skin without sunscreen to get those levels back up....of course this is not a free pass to bake in the sun for hours and burn! All that is needed is maybe 15 minutes of unprotected exposure a day so you don't burn. Then cover up or put some sunscreen on. I was taking Rx D for over a year and my levels would not budge. So a diff Dr advised to take a supplement but to also get in the sun. When you have such low levels (mine were always at around 21 or so) it's hard to get them back up by taking a form your body has a hard time absorbing.

I've gotten more sun this summer, and I'm noticing a difference in my energy, haven't had my tests repeated to see if my levels have come up as of yet though. But I'll take that energy increase because I sleep better at night now and move around more during the day which can only help with weight loss!

btw: I was taking 50,000 IU once a week for quite along time and my levels didn't move. If a dr keeps upping the Rx level telling you to take more and more and more, obviously something is wrong when these massive amounts do nothing to help you. Look into other forms or perhaps you have a malapsorption problem which is part of my issue.

Last edited by MsModelSara; 07-12-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added supplement amounts
MsModelSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #34  

Default Wow someone like me!!

Wow, stumbled on this site just by chance, googled hypothyroid just to see how to spell it correctly,

I too just started to take Synthroid(50mg), but have been taking the VitaminD for about 4 years, I wish I could only take a dose once a month like you, I take 150,000 IU once a week.
Like you I don't understand why my VitaminD is low, I too spend time in the sun, I mean come on I'm tan. I was only taking 100,000 IU's but then I started taking 2500mg(daily)of Depakote ER, So the Endocronologist said this medication drains your VitaminD levels, so I had to up it by the 50,000 IU's.
I hope someday we can find out whats going on with us.

Last edited by AngryLittlePill; 10-22-2011 at 01:36 AM.
AngryLittlePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #35  
Candi

S/C/G: 307/304/200

Height: 6'0"

Default Headaches

I get headaches from my synthroid when the dose is too high. Hope that helps.
Candi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I too was diagnosed (a little over a year ago) with hypothyroid, Vit D deficiency (7) and Vit B12 deficiency. I took 50,000 IU of vit D, once a week for 6 months and value got up to 40, which is just ok, so I take 2000 IU a day. My doctor also has me using Fish Oil. I still seem tired for no reason, but it is better than it was. It is hard to get enough sun in Upstate NY, blah... I am Irish and very fair, so I use sunscreen and therefore my body won't make the vit D from the sun. Good luck to everyone getting everything in balance. The funny thing is my numbers for general well being are outstanding. bp 90/60 Total Cholest 160 Triglicyerides 65, ration is right on, so I feel lucky that way, esp. at age 53. The only thing I take is Synthroid, which my doc calls a supplement, as well as vit B12, D and Fish Oil, plus a Multi-Vit.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 265/252/175

Height: 6'

Hi! I'm new here but I just found this thread, I'm also struggling to lose weight after a total thyroidectomy following thyroid cancer. Before the thyroidectomy I had hashimoto's so I've been on synthroid for almost a decade. I've been working my butt off and the weight is coming off slowly but it certainly seems to make it harder!
casndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 165/163/125

Height: 5'4

I just found this forum. I was wondering how everyone was doing who posted in the past.
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism almost two years ago. I continued to gain weight steady for the first year and a half after my diagnosis. I am holding steady now....well I have lost almost 5 pounds, but this has been over several weeks.
Any suggestions?
KelStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 150/129/110

Height: 5'1"

Hi , I too have Hypo + vitamin D deficiency. Very slowly and by hard exercises with strict diet now i am able to loss 20 pounds. still to go 20 pounds.
Wish you good health ladies
goalhourglasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 220/220/130

Height: 5'3

I was diagnosed with both, and I was on Synthroid which did nothing for me. I went to see a Naturopath who put me on Armour Thyroid and that did make a slight difference. I have yet to get my levels retested, but I do notice a difference when vitamin D and natural thyroid.
Murrishmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Goal
- how strict a diet?
I am doing the exercise part, but need a few pointers how restrictive I need to be with the diet

Thx,
S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #42  

sznn,

Diet includes -

Cabbage and califlower are dangerous for hypothyroid. My Dr told me to avoid it.

Morning - vegetable broth + herbal tea / plain coffee ( no sugar or sweetener)
mid morning any fruit - Melon or apple or banana
Afternoon - lean protein soup lentil or legume ) + veg / fruit salad
snacks - coffee + any fruit
Dinner - veg or lean protein soup + any salad without dressing. i use lemon + olive oil or flax seed oil for dressing.
I use lots of spices - ginger , turmeric, black pepper , cardamom , cloves, fenugreek, mustered, corriander, red chilly dry... etc

If you need any recipies i can provide you.

Have a good health.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Thanks Goal,

Looks like you are avoiding carbs too - that is always a tough one for me.

FYI: Cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, etc) are OK to eat as long as they are cooked. When they are raw, that is when they are detrimental to the thyroid.

s
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #44  

You welcome S,

Yes I am avoiding cabs , starches, and gluten and some veg which are reactive to my RA. Its really tough to Diet and losing weight with lots of obstacles.
I can't fast - cause i have to gulp my medications. I can;t run / exercise due to my RA and joint pain. In spite of all these i am on diet still not losing a pound. I think this is due to my Steroids which i am taking as medication.
Still not losing hope , My self keep motivating to lose at least 2 pounds a week.
Thanks for the Cruciferous vegetables info. i will include those veggies in my diet.
Thanks
Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Height: 5'4

My doctor suspects I may have hypothyroidism. They drew the blood today so I will find out soon. I'd never even heard of it until he brought it up at my appointment.
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote