Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #31  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

Wow this was so incredibly helpful! I've been a long time fan of the GI diet (as just a general healthy eating thing and for keeping my blood sugar (nope I don't have anything like diabetes etc either but man do I get insane, erratic and emotional when I'm eating lots of it! The low GI diet was what was recommended me to by my psych even!) in check and regulated but I didn't know much about GL. I'd heard about it but couldn't make heads or tails of it but this really helped explain it for me. Thank you! I also love the concept of magic foods . I love the way you explained this.. you should seriously think of becoming a dietician or a teacher...
PaintedButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

For anyone who bakes their own bread, I have discovered two tips that make the bread nicer to eat and also improve the GI.

1. Sourdough, as mentioned above. There's a bit of mystique about it, but in reality it's dead easy to make and keep going. I find that sourdough is far more satisfying and keeps me going longer, so I'm happy with just one slice for breakfast.

2. Ever had the problem of making a loaf with wholewheat flour and finding that it keeps coming out dry and craggy? Possible this is more of a problem with bread machines, which is how I bake, but anyway, here's a solution a friend pointed me at. Replace about 10% of the flour with barley flour. It ends up moister, and apparently barley is a seriously good Magic Food.

And yes, you can combine them. I like putting walnuts in my bread, which also scores points, apparently! I'd run out of barley flour and only just got some back in, so I'm looking forward to having that again, and seeing how high a proportion I can manage in the bread while still getting a decent rise. Although it ended up being pearl barley flour, which I suspect is a bit less nutritious.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #33  

S/C/G: HW 233/SW 230/207/165

Height: 5'3"

Wonderful post! Surely reinforces my WOE - South Beach Diet. Nice to see the explanations of why particular foods are included or excluded on this diet.
katiam247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:30 AM   #34  

This was very helpful thanks so much!
Weightlossqueen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #35  

Default opinion

i think there is a difference between being on a diet and being on a healthy diet!
Your body notices the difference and your energy levels depends on this as well!
Alexa123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #36  

For me this cake it's a magic - Vegan Blueberry Mug Cake
Healthy and tasty!!)
Try!)
booo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 216/117/132

Height: 5.4

OMG thank you for taking so much time to share this with us! Already saved this post and will definitely use it a lot.
Charly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #38  

Food & DrinksFastest Way To Lose Weight: Food Combinations That Work Like Magic
Fastest Way to Lose Weight: Food Combinations That Work Like Magic

1. Almonds + Yoghurt

2. Rice + Peas
ryan1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #39  

Default Well !

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Hi everybody . . . . . . I'm Linda and I usually post in the Diabetes Forum. However, I recently read a book that so caught my attention that I thought a lot of us could benefit from the information it contained. After some PM discussions with Jennifer of the PCOS/Insulin Resistance Forum, we decided this would probably be the best place for a review.

The book is called Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar and was written by Robert A. Barnett, Christine L. Pelkman, and Densie Webb. It caught my eye because I was familiar with another book that Mr. Barnett co-authored.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to attempt a fairly in-depth review by adding to this thread on a more or less daily basis. So I do hope you won't get too bored seeing my cat, Purrecious, and her semi-sarcastic look peeking out at you from my Avatar.

Before we actually discuss the Magic Foods of which there are over 50 reviewed in the book, we need to set a little background information in place . . . so for today's chapter . . . let's discuss the connection between several of today's worst health challenges and roller-coaster bood sugar levels . . .
omiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diet, weight loss