3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles

Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Magic Foods

Old 04-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #16

S/C/G: 182/176/130

Height: 5'1"

I am so glad I found this board and as it is beginning too! Learning more about foods in general is good but learning about Magic foods is great! Can't wait to read the next post! ~~Peggy
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #17
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Things seem to get relatively quiet round here on most weekends, so I think I'll hold off on the next entry until Monday -- don't want people to get far behind on their reading.

meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #18

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

This is very interesting... I like the breakdown. Once you're done this should be stickied so that we can always find it. Thank you very much for taking the time to do this!

The FIRST challenge:
-Get to 175
-Exercise 3x/wk for 4 wks!
Achieved:
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #19
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . . It's time for installment 4 . . .

BRAN, WHEAT or RICE – average GI of 19/ GL of 2 per ounce (29 grams). We discussed Soluble Fibre when we talked about apples yesterday. That isn’t the only fibre out there. Insoluble Fibre is one we’ve probably all heard about the most often – good old “roughage”. Insoluble Fibre is the one found in great abundance in most low-carb vegetables and, of course, in Wheat and Corn Bran and those “twiggy” cereals. Insoluble Fibre does not directly slow digestion. It acts like a protective ‘overcoat’ for the concentrated starch of the grain wearing it. The bran resists both water and other liquids including digestive enzymes. Consequently, the starch cannot be broken down as quickly into glucose for digestion. The added benefit, of course, this is the type of bran that helps to “regulate” things in the lower digestive tract. () BRAN, OAT – GI of 50/GL of 9 per ounce (29 grams) – Oat bran has insoluble fibre, but it is a great source of soluble fibre as well and can be used as a cereal, whereas a dish of straight wheat or rice bran would be rather less appealing.

Bran Menu Magic – use oat bran as a binding agent for meat loaf; sprinkle any or all three onto casseroles and use in almost all baked goods. Watch out for commercial Bran Muffins, however – they are loaded with sugar, fat, and calories.

BARLEY – GI of 29/GL of 9 for ½ cup (cooked) – we’re back to another powerhouse of Soluble Fibre again.

Barley Menu Magic – it’s not just for sticking in soup, although it is delicious in there. Try it as a side dish instead of sticky white rice (not a Magic food) or use it in salads. Mix it with our next Magic Food. Yum.

BEANS (well, actually LEGUMES) – each species is a little different, but they have an average GI of 40/ GL of 8 for ½ cup (cooked). Another powerhouse of Soluble Fibre, with all the benefits we’ve already talked about; beans also pack a great load of Protein. Like fat, protein does not raise blood sugar levels. Protein, as well as slowing the emptying of the stomach, also actually helps your body process the carbs in the meal more efficiently.

Bean Menu Magic – even canned beans are great (but rinse them thoroughly to remove as much salt as possible and to get rid of some of the indigestible (to you) substances that cause your intestinal bacteria to thrive and do a somewhat noisy little ‘happy dance routine’ If you are using dry beans that must be soaked before you can begin to cook them; discard the soaking water for the same reason. As well as just eating them, plain – use beans in soups, and salads; make bean dip or hummus for snacking with crispy vegetables; they can even be ground into flour and substituted for ¼ to ½ of the regular flour in baked goods. They are amazingly versatile.

BERRIES – Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, and more – Most have not even been GI/GL tested because their blood sugar impact is so miniscule. Strawberries have been tested (probably because of their popularity) and can be considered representative of the group with a GI of 40/GL of 2 for a full cup. Berries have both soluble and insoluble fibre but, the main reason they are so MAGIC is because their natural sweetness is from Fructose which has very little impact of blood sugar levels. Fructose is much sweeter that ordinary table sugar (sucrose). So it takes much less of it to give that wonderful sweetness we all love so much. As an extra bonus, of course, most berries are very high in vitamin C and other antioxidants that keep your eyes healthy and your brain and memory ticking along in tiptop shape.

Berry Menu Magic – eat them by the bowful, just as nature made them; use them in baked goods; use them in salads; make them into a salsa; use them with skim milk and yogurt in a smoothie – the possibilities are almost endless.

Tomorrow – Broccoli and some close of it's relatives

Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #20

Oh, so many good ideas. I had never heard of grinding beans and using them as flour. I'll have to try that.
1 Thess. 4:16-17
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #21

Thanks for doing this - it's really helpful.

HW 356 pounds - CW 138 - GW 130

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Forget Yesterday. I am, where I am. I know where I could have been, had I done what I did not do. Tell me, Friend, what I can do today, to be where I want to be tomorrow. - Sigrad
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
Michelle

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Nice list, very helpful, thanks!

I hit my goal of 150 on 8/28/2013! Progress Photos | Weekly Weight Loss | My Battle With Weight in Photos
My Blog: Mrs. Snark @ Bliss-a-go-go! (warning: I'm weird.)
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I'm reading very intently, trying to commit to memory.

Calorie Counting Back to Maintenance Weight
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #24
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Nice of you to do this for us all; the info explains things well. I have Rick Gallop's book 'THE GI DIET' to use as a basic guide. You are explaining the foods in more detail than the book with recipe ideas and tips, which are very helpful. THANKS, LINDA, it is very kind of you to take the time to do this ... ROSEBUD
ONE-STEP-AT-A-TIME PHIL 4:13 " I CAN "
YA GOTTA HAVE FAITH KEEP ON, KEEPIN' ON
= 10 lbs ...
115 lbs + 16 Single Sizes Gone Forever! -- 100 lb tumor = ONEDERLAND!
Progress Pics: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/look...ml#post4361876
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #25

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with everyone else... awesome info. and THANK YOU!! for sharing this with us!

The FIRST challenge:
-Get to 175
-Exercise 3x/wk for 4 wks!
Achieved:
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #26
Onward and Downward

Aww, Gee, thanks guys . . . . . . Everybody needs a hobby, guess this is mine right now.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #27

S/C/G: 182/176/130

Height: 5'1"

Meowee~~~~This board is so helpful! I can't thank you enough for starting this series on Magic Foods! Maybe it was the term "Magic" that got my attention! I noticed you are in Nova Scota! It is beautiful there! When I divorced after a 28 yr marriage (and never one vacation in all those years), the first thing I saved my money for was a real vacation. I stayed in Dartsmouth, visited Halifax (rode the Ferry!!!!!!!!!!!), Lawrencetown Beach and Peggy's Cove...oh yes and Wolfsville. I'll never forget the beauty all about me! Not to bad a trip for a MawMaw from Alabama I'd say! ~Peggy
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 PM   #28
Onward and Downward

Oh wow . . . that was a great trip Peggy -- I Peggy's Cove. Actually, I've only lived down here for about 15 years, I'm originally from Toronto -- very different down here.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #29

S/C/G: 317/240/160

Height: 5' 6"

Ohhhhhhh thank you!!! I had forgotten about barley!! I am going to pick some up on the way home tonight!!

KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #30
Onward and Downward

Good Girl . . . get regular Pot Barley if you can . . . it takes a little longer to cook but comes with all the fibre still with it. Pearl Barley is still healthy, but the Insoluble Fibre (the husks) has been removed.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.