Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/225/140

Height: 5' 5"

Unhappy 8 Screw - 2 Steel Rods - Overweight - Help!!

Hello,

I have to lose weight, but I can't seem to get it to happen. I have hypothyroidism, 6 screws and 2 steel rods in my lower back (fused from L4-S1), and 2 screws in my right knee, and a partially torn PCL in the right now, oh, and to top it off, I have arthritis in most of my joints (and I'm only 35). I weigh 240/245 lbs, I'm 5' 5" tall and I have a boring desk job.

I've tried so many diets and nothing has ever helped. I have done the blood type diet, Adkins, South Beach, Fat Smash, and I'm still going up instead of down for weight. My self esteem is shot, my family life is going down the tubes...my mom is getting married in December and I'm supposed to stand up with her (she's 5'4 and 125 - picture that one EWWWW) - I know losing weight slow is the best, but I don't know that I have the luxury of that to start. ANYONE have suggestions, ideas, I'll try the herbal supplements, at this point - I'm desperate!!

Sorry for the "rant" like post, but I'm at such a loss right now.
Thanks,
tazz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #2  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

maybe look into weight watchers!? it teaches you to "eat right and eat healthy" with portion control and heathy guideline to follow. (of course i am bias i am a WWer and love it!) as far as activty goes sounds like you have lots of physical restrictions. maybe swimming or water areobics? goodluck to you!!!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I'd be curious to know how your mom eats on a regular basis; esp since she has been able to stay at 125 lbs and is the same height as you. Or was she heavier before? Sometimes, I try to watch regular weight persons, to get some ideas from them.

Your injuries and health problems have surely limited your mobility, which is the same problem I have. I agree about the water exercise; are you in terrible pain now? Can you walk or dance; or do chair exercises at all???

Weight Watchers is likely the best balanced plan (and I'm not biased as I'm using my own plan). You could use points or calorie counting. A doctor once told me to just cut out all the junk and fast food and eat three regular meals plus 2-3 healthy snacks a day: I lost about 25 lbs on it at the time, and have returned to it becuz it was the simplest plan I have ever been on and is more sustainable for lifetime (my experience).

It's a very flexible plan in that you still get to pick what you eat each meal. I took our favorite dishes and made them more healthy; and I tweek things on a regular basis. My biggest problem has been getting enuff exercise becuz of injuries (knees and legs) and pain issues (I have Spina bifida; back problems).

Just get started with a good plan, and go from there. Sincerely wish you the best in your new healthy journey; come back and post often becuz many find that to be very helpful. We have a thread called PHYSICAL CHALLENGES in this forum; why don't you join us there? Everyone there has similar issues to deal with (physical obstacles)!

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-27-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #4  

You definitely have some issues, but you can still lose weight. Remember, whatever you do, you have to do the work the plan doesn't, it's just a guide. I'm hypothyroid and find that WW Core plan is ideal. You might look into that. I do know it is imperitive to have a food scale, measuring cups and spoons and log every bite you take. Diet pills and herbal supplements make your wallet lighter, not you and in some cases have dire consequences. With hypothyroidism, you will do better if you cut all all white flour, sugar, white rice, white pasta, and things of that nature and stick with whole grains, lean protein with every meal and snack, fruit and vegetables, and dairy.

I wish you well.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/225/140

Height: 5' 5"

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and support - I'm looking into the ww plans. Now to answer some of your questions:

Justwant2Bhealthy:
My mother used to have a weight problem, she did the yo-yo diets for years and got fed up with it and had the gastric bypass surgery done. She has only had a couple complications from it and has dropped 125 lbs. I'm proud of her for it, but it is still frustrating for me. I'm able to do some exercises, but because of the other medical issues it limits them. Due to the weather/season change my knees are NOT happy. I have tried walking on the treadmill at home and I get some fluid filling in there, but all I can do is keep trying. I'll also check out the Physical Challenges forum - sounds like a good place!! I wish you the best with your health journey as well.
tazz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 248/?/150

Height: 5'4"

I can relate to your post quite alot!! I also sent you a private message!
WW Core is very similar to South Beach. If you are hypothyroid and possibly insulin resistant (I'd guess the latter as well) you will need to eliminate the "white" carbs from your diet. There is other sugars in pre-packaged food (think fructose, etc.) so you would need to read ALL labels! The "white" carbs are flour, sugar and white rice...which digests into sugar (insulin) in your body! I hope you will find the support ===and food plan that works for you by staying plugged into this site and the other one I told you about!! Best wishes!!!!
frustratedieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

I so relate to this post - I'm only 36 (5'6, 230 lb and a boring desk job, too) and I've also already had back surgery and knee surgery. I went to see my doctor just yesterday because my knee was so stiff that it felt frozen - she actually winced and withdrew her hand when I outstretched my leg because my knee was, and I quote, "The worst crackle I have ever felt in a knee before." Not good! She then told me my other knee was pretty bad, too.

I'm going "straight to an Orthopedic surgeon" - bleh. She even went so far as to advise against exercise until I see him.

That doctor visit was the last straw for me -- if I feel this bad at 36, how the heck will I even be walking in 20 years?

I joined Weight Watchers again this week. I was on the plan years ago and successfully lost 40 lbs, but was stupid and started smoking again, which made me not want to exercise, which made me want to start binging again...

WW is honestly a good program that is all about proper portions, the importance of support (meetings) and adding exercise into your life.

DON'T think about the wedding -- you'll just stress yourself out and that's never good. I got myself all worked up over something similar (a vacation with my husband's family), and rather than losing weight, I went on binge-rampages and gained another 5 lbs. Now I'm looking at the pictures and it's just sad, lol.

Right now all I can do is the "healthy eating" part of WW -- and I'm already down 4 lbs. I think I'm going to try and down some upper body workouts, maybe join a gym with a pool so I can get some "safe" cardio in. Don't give up!! Even losing 20 lbs is going to make your body happy.

Last edited by Lunula; 03-29-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote