Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #1  

Unhappy Weight Gain On Beta Blockers - Help Needed Please !!!!!

Hi
I'm new to the site and desperate for advice. I have lost 20lb since the birth of my daughter 2 years ago.

I suffer terrible migraines and the Doc gave me beta blockers by Inderal. I was on them for two months and put on 12lb. I have been off them for 8 weeks and I am still gaining weight.

I have checked my diet plan and I am following my calorie count to the letter. My Doc says to wait until "its out of your system". I am really depressed about this as I was so motivated and now its all going wrong.

If anyone has any similar experience or advice I would be so grateful. I just need to know that this can be sorted and get myself back on track.

Kaybelle
kaybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #2  
it's always something

I don't know how long it will take to leave your system, but you may need to just wait it out. However, increasing your exercise should help. I've been on beta blockers since 1988, so I'm painfully aware of how they affect weight. I gained and then I struggled with losing it. I'll always be on them. They affect your weight by slowing down your metabolism. Exercise will boost your metabolism and make up for it. You may need at least a half hour but maybe an hour of moderate exercise every day, 5x per week, to do the trick.

Good luck
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #3  

Default thanks

Thank you so much for answering my problem.

I've been swimming today and managed to do half a mile. I am aiming to go everyday if I can.

Thanks again

Kaybelle
kaybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/266/166

Height: 5ft 8

wow thanks for posting this, i've been on beta blockers since december and it's only since that time that my weight loss has halted; i was given them for the same reason migraines but i never knew they affected your metabolism and weight thankyou so much huggles
ninababes is offline   Reply With Quote